What bike did you use?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
papjordan

Re: RE: Re: What bike did you use?

Post by papjordan »

John_S wrote:I'm just starting my initial phase of planning for a future LEJOG or JOGLE which is why I've been reading this forum.

Reading the above I found it interesting that AndyJ mentioned broken spoke issues with his Genesis bike.

I have a 2014 Genesis Day One Alfine 8 and yesterday I suffered from what is now my third broken spoke on the rear wheel in the last 8 months. I'm not a heavy rider, 11 stone, and it seems that there are potentially some issues with the stock wheels that come with Genesis bikes.

I guess you just can't beat a decent hand built wheel.

I've never had a hand built wheel or a broken spoke. However I am quite light ...65 kg ... and adjust spokes as needed. perhaps I've been lucky.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.
John_S

Re: What bike did you use?

Post by John_S »

I must say that in about 29 years of cycling I can't remember having a broken spoke either until I got this Genesis Day One. I've no idea whether it's a coincidence or just a bit of bad luck for both us but it just caught my eye that there are two owners of Genesis bikes having issues with broken spokes.
Phil_Chadwick

Re: RE: Re: What bike did you use?

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

papjordan wrote:
John_S wrote:I'm just starting my initial phase of planning for a future LEJOG or JOGLE which is why I've been reading this forum.

Reading the above I found it interesting that AndyJ mentioned broken spoke issues with his Genesis bike.

I have a 2014 Genesis Day One Alfine 8 and yesterday I suffered from what is now my third broken spoke on the rear wheel in the last 8 months. I'm not a heavy rider, 11 stone, and it seems that there are potentially some issues with the stock wheels that come with Genesis bikes.

I guess you just can't beat a decent hand built wheel.

I've never had a hand built wheel or a broken spoke. However I am quite light ...65 kg ... and adjust spokes as needed. perhaps I've been lucky.

Flushed down the thunderbox : my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.

The disc/Alfine wheel needs to be built a bit carefully. The stock one on the Day One looks to have plain gauge spokes, and not Polyax nipples. Should be OK, but for that application I would def,. prefer something built a little better
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

We did it 10 years ago, in about 10 days (lanes route so c 1000 miles(, using B&Bs

I rode a 1980s 531 fast touring bike with a bar bag and saddle bag and 18 gears.

If I were to do it again I'd do it on fixed.
hawker955

Post by hawker955 »

When a team of us did it a few years ago [1991!] we all rode our normal road-racing bikes but the key has to be the bike on which you are most comfy for the hours in the saddle. I think doing it on a MTB would be rather tough, but a road-touring bike should do. If you're on race-bikes you'll likely need back-up vehicles for luggage. :) Good luck, for no thorns in the road and a favourable wind!
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I did it on a newish Dawes Galaxy tour (plus full camping gear) and had one broken spoke. I was quite glad of a day off - hitched from Loch Carron campsite to Dingwall bike shop and back.
Hitching - carry a bike wheel and the first car will stop - every time just about!
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

A Spa Ti Tourer. Lovely and comfortable and great gear range. Did it as a CTC tour so being a little slower didn't matter.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

You could do it on the Thorn Raven touring, but if you are travelling light then something like an Audax bike would be my choice, and was for my Lejog; a style of bike I still use on all my tours. There are many options available off the peg in a variety of price points, although this kind of bike is a bit niche for many stores to justify holding stock so you may have to hunt around to see one in the flesh.

By the same token many manufacturers also consider the niche Audax market to small to promote something that looks like an Audax bike, with mudguards and a rack. They will often have a faster looking visual I assume to appeal to the larger market, but look a little closer and you will see mudguard eyes and slightly larger clearances to accommodate the guards, pannier bosses, slightly shallower head angle for comfort and stability, slightly longer chain stays and a conservative mile eating 'bike fit'. All can add up to the sum of an ideal Audax bike, all be it to the layman dressed as something a bit sportier.

The Genesis Equilibrium-10 is a prime example and at the £1000.00 price point should you want to use the full entitlement often set by employers. Above that amount Audax bikes are far more common place, Enigma Etape, Ezona and Van Nicholas Yukon to name just a three (there are quite a few titanium Audax bikes, I referenced Enigma as they are quite close to 'matt2matt2002' with a dealer in 'Stirling') and that's before you factor in the small volume builders like Mercian, Dave Yates, Geoff Roberts; nearly all custom frame builders like those three examples will cater for this market. At under a £1000.00 you can again find something suitable if you look closely, potential considerations like the Cannondale Synapse. Note at that price point the sum of the parts will often result in slightly less of a fucused Audax bike compared to something like the Genesis Equilbrium but click on this thread and you can see that for some that very bike is a worthy consideration.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club