A82 - East bank Loch Lomond

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rareposter

Re: A82 - East bank Loch Lomond

Post by rareposter »

I actually don't mind riding on that road but I've always been on it at relatively quiet times - midweek afternoon rather than last day of summer holidays weekend!
The climb from Tyndrum up round the corner as that magical view opens up gets me every time. And the marshland on top is just stunning. I've been over it in beautiful weather, not a cloud in the sky, high 20's celsius and I've been over it in pouring rain, headwind, near zero degrees. But every time it is one of the most amazing roads in the UK.

Apart from that idiot endlessly playing Scotland the Brave on bagpipes at the Loch Tulla viewpoint - that's just annoying.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Ha ha, he's still there getting his picture taken with the tourists.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

A82 reported shut for a long period this morning between Tarbet and Ardlui. Another accident but no detail given.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

rareposter wrote:
Apart from that idiot endlessly playing Scotland the Brave on bagpipes at the Loch Tulla viewpoint - that's just annoying.

It can't possibly be the same person who was there in '93. :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Another cyclist fatality on this road today. Between the Erskine Bridge and Dunochter.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Slick

Post by Slick »

david.miller.7583992

Post by david.miller.7583992 »

Damn lorries, I've not been cycling very long at all, only a few months in a more regular way and Ive lost count of the amount of times lorries have almost brushed me as they've gone past. Unfortunately I live on a busy A road so I have no choice but to put myself at the mercy of the lorry drivers and hope I get to the B roads safely. Thoughts with the family.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N910F using hovercraft full of eels.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

What is the A82 like between the crossing over Loch Leven and Fort William.

Using the N78 all the way involves 2 ferries which is alright for the Corran one but the Camusnagaul over to Fort William does not have one after the 12.20 till 16.15 which is quite a gap if you miss the first.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Toffee wrote:What is the A82 like between the crossing over Loch Leven and Fort William.

I've ridden it a couple of times and I've driven it many times, its OK. In theory there's a 50mph speed limit and at peak times, when it gets quite busy, those observing the law tend to slow those that aren't. At other times traffic will be lighter but possibly a bit faster. I prefer it when it's less busy but if the ferry times allow I would favour that option

Its a long way round if you miss the last FW crossing.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Toffee wrote:Using the N78 all the way involves 2 ferries which is alright for the Corran one but the Camusnagaul over to Fort William does not have one after the 12.20 till 16.15 which is quite a gap if you miss the first.

The Camusnagual Ferry* is rather endearingly quaint and they will actually come and get you if you phone up. On the other hand if the weather is truly atrocious, they won't run at all!

*Calling it a "ferry" is a stretch of the imagination, it's a tiny little boat with space for about 12 people at most sitting inside it and they strap your bike to the roof... Somewhere I've got a picture of my bike on top of it and a Strava file showing my "ride" across the water. :-)

Do be aware that if you're stranded over the Camusnagual side waiting for the ferry there is the square root of bugger all there. At least if you're awaiting for it in Fort William there is a Costa just round the corner!
This is the ferry pier... ;-)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Here's the Camusnagual ferry at anchor!
Attachments
Ferry.jpg
Scottishgaucho

Post by Scottishgaucho »

A bit of perspective is needed regarding the A82. Me and my mates cycled the A82 several hundred times over 20 years and never encountered any problem. The Tarbet - Ardlui stretch can be rather daunting to those not used to narrow twisting roads but in my experience most car drivers drive sensibly on that stretch. There is a cycle path along the southern part of the loch but most cyclists never use it preferring the cycle lane on the road instead.

The A82 is far less dangerous than cycling in any town or city. It's a great road to ride especially outside the main tourist season.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
rareposter wrote:

It can't possibly be the same person who was there in '93. :shock:

No, he made so much money he retired and sold his kilt and bagpipes to someone else
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rareposter wrote:
Toffee wrote:Using the N78 all the way involves 2 ferries which is alright for the Corran one but the Camusnagaul over to Fort William does not have one after the 12.20 till 16.15 which is quite a gap if you miss the first.

The Camusnagual Ferry* is rather endearingly quaint and they will actually come and get you if you phone up. On the :wink: other hand if the weather is truly atrocious, they won't run at all!

*Calling it a "ferry" is a stretch of the imagination, it's a tiny little boat with space for about 12 people at most sitting inside it and they strap your bike to the roof... Somewhere I've got a picture of my bike on top of it and a Strava file showing my "ride" across the water. :-)

Do be aware that if you're stranded over the Camusnagual side waiting for the ferry there is the square root of bugger all there....

I will take that phrase into my vocabulary, thanks :wink:

What can one do if stranded there, where is the next food shop or hotel? Is there any shelter?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies