A82 - East bank Loch Lomond

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
steford

A82 - East bank Loch Lomond

Post by steford »

I'm cycling up from Luss to Corran (beyond Glencoe) on day 11 of my 14 day LEJOG in August. After reading a few reports here, and as is my preference, I'm keen to avoid A roads where possible and so the A82 never looked great. Route 40 extends up to Arrochar but from here it's 23km on the A82 until a side road is available. Hopping on the ferry at Inverbeg across to Rowardennan would mean a safer route as far as I can see with tracks and a cycle track on the east bank. Unfortunately I can't see any Street View images of that side. Any advice on this route and also on the old military road that starts just after Tyndrum? I will be on a hybrid with rear panniers (approx 20kg luggage).

Thanks.
Rich_Clements

Re: A82 - East bank Loch Lomond

Post by Rich_Clements »

Hi I cycled up there last week.

There is a cycle path alongside the A82 as far as Tarbet but after that there isnt anything that I am aware of and the road is quite narrow in places :(

By the way there is a new section alongside the A82 to Fort William which looks as if they are still working on it as it has fresh tarmac but the signage isnt complete, think its part of NCN route 78
Rich
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The short answer is don't. There is no street view because there is no street. What you are looking at is part of the West Highland Way which some walkers seem to have difficulty with.People have taken mountain bikes on the whole WHW but with no luggage. From Tarbet to the foot of Glen Falloch is IMO pretty nasty cycling nowadays but there is no real alternative. I used to cycle this area regularly but that was before the explosion in traffic density. The bit beyond Tyndrum is also WHW and parts of it are reputed to be ok for cycling but never done this bit myself. Better to stick to the A82 I think.
steford

Post by steford »

Thanks fellas.

Yes I am happy up to Tarbet and on 78 up to Fort William. I am happy to try the odd track where it looks passable but don't want to wait for a ferry and waste time on tough/dead end routes which the advice seems to be here. I've booked 2 places along this route but may reroute via 7. Unfortunately my WiFi here in Sardinia isn't up to too much mapping and routing.

Thanks again.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

There are lots of ways of avoiding this section of road but they all require quite major detours and, if you have already booked accommodation, it may well be a little late in the day to be planning alternatives.

To be honest the section between Tarbet and Ardlui is the problem area, quite narrow and twisty with poor sight lines and very busy at peak times.. If you have overnight accommodation booked in Luss I would advise you to make an early start to clear Ardlui before the morning rush hour. Early Sunday morning would be probably be best.
steford

Post by steford »

Thanks Norman

Early should not be a problem but I can still reroute by cancelling a campsite and 1 room at Glencoe. Route 7 from Glasgow (ish) adds about 30km to the 2 days to Inverness and I'm pretty much at my maximum daily ride as it stands (about 70 miles) so ruled that out. I also really like the idea of the Glencoe to Inverness ride.

I should be able to get the 8 miles you mention done by 7:30AM which may be my best option at this stage.

Thanks for the help.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

That sounds good. It's difficult to make recommendations for others, we all have different tolerance levels for traffic. I enjoyed the ride over Rannoch Moor, it's a very atmospheric place, and Glen Coe, although a bit of a tourist trap, is undeniably spectacular

steford wrote

I can still reroute by cancelling a campsite and 1 room at Glencoe.

I don't know if this is of any use to you but when I did LEJOG I stayed overnight with a friend in Balfron and so I planned a route on minor roads to the east of Glasgow which avoided Loch Lomond completely.

Briefly we followed the A7076 from Gretna as far as Happendon and then cut across to Lanark*, Carluke and Schotts on minor roads. We crossed the M8 at Kirk of Schotts and on to Airdree where we followed the B802 all the way to Kilsyth. Take the minor road north over the Kilsyth Hills (spectacular view from the top) into the Carron Valley and west along the Carron Valley to Fintry. Unless you want to visit my friend in Balfron head north to Callander* via Lake of Montieth. We used the A84 up Strathyre to Lochearnhead but there is a spectacular off road route that runs roughly parallel and there are various opportunities to swap from one to the other. Take the A85 from here to Lix Toll and pick up the A82 at Crianlarich.

*There are hostels at New Lanark and Callander
Last edited by Norman H on 2 Aug 2016, 1:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Norman H wrote:Briefly we followed the A7076 from Gretna as far as Happendon and then cut across to Lanark*, Carluke and Schotts on minor roads. We crossed the M8 at Kirk of Schotts and on to Airdree where we followed the B802 all the way to Kilsyth. Take the minor road north over the Kilsyth Hills (spectacular view from the top) into the Carron Valley and west along the Carron Valley to Fintry. Unless you want to visit my friend in Balfron head north to Callander* via Lake of Montieth. We used the A84 up Strathyre to Lochearnhead but there is a spectacular off road route that runs roughly parallel and there are various opportunities to swap from one to the other. Take the A85 from here to Lix Toll and pick up the A82 at Crianlarich.
Excellent route.
We lived up in Scotland a couple of times over the years, and know the roads you describe.

Personally, when I've done my End2Ends, I've taken the the Old A9 route. Having lived, commuted, cycled, walked, the Lomond area (both sides) I fancied a different approach. If I ever do another End2End, I may go via Glasgow .......... nice city, we used to live near there too.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Norman H wrote: Take the minor road north over the Kilsyth Hills (spectacular view from the top) into the Carron Valley ...

Just be warned that this is quite steep in places. Also on the far side of the hill, near Carron, there is a ford that needs care as the bottom is not very even:
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

A82 up by Fort William
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-37126618

Sad news.

That roundabout is dangerous, I had a near miss from an impatient motorist there last year as I was taking a group of the Deloitte Ride Across Britain participants through. She just thought that she could drive straight through us all.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've just spent two weeks with Scouts based at Lochearnhead - came back on Saturday. Great riding on the NCN7 from Aberfoyle via Invertrossachs and Callander, then up the old railway line to Killin. The bit from Callander to Lochearnhead is quite varied, as there are lots of gaps in the railway where bridges are missing and so on - there are even some quite spectacular gravelled S bend climbs in Strathyre. We saw someone get a child trailer up and down them, though, so not impossible.

But a little out of your way.
steford

Post by steford »

Well I'm back from the trip and the A82 route proved to be as nasty as is said. I did head out early and there was little traffic on the initial section from Tarbet. After that though the side roads I intended to take were inadequate for a touring bike with panniers so I ended up on the A82 almost all the way to Glencoe which was awful. Several close shaves until I took a very wide position on the road to hold up cars behind me - it simply wasn't worth the risk. I would not go that way again but would have hated to miss the amazing scenery.

Fearing the stretch from Glencoe to Fort William the next day I took the ferry over to the other side of the loch and followed the NCN route which was far nicer but much slower due to ferry timings. At a coffee shop the owner told me they'd witnessed the cyclist fatality on the A82 as posted above.

A great 14 day trip and beautiful scenery and decent cycle tracks in Scotland only spoiled by the poor provision on the A82. Best avoided is my advice.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

A bit late for you now but for anyone else wishing to avoid the A82 over Rannoch Moor. Follow the A85 from Tyndrum to Connel and then NCN 78 north to Balachulish. It runs parallel to the A828, mostly traffic free using the old railway bed.

I've not used NCN 78 but I've been that way from Tyndrum to Oban. It's mostly downhill or flat all the way to Connel.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Norman H wrote:A bit late for you now but for anyone else wishing to avoid the A82 over Rannoch Moor. Follow the A85 from Tyndrum to Connel and then NCN 78 north to Balachulish. It runs parallel to the A828, mostly traffic free using the old railway bed.

I've not used NCN 78 but I've been that way from Tyndrum to Oban. It's mostly downhill or flat all the way to Connel.

The NCN78 is absolutely fantastic along that stretch, great views, flat and a good surface:

scot1.jpg
Slick

Post by Slick »

A brave man cycling that route from Tarbet to Fort William. I drove up there on Saturday, which was okay but still very busy. We left fairly sharp Sunday morning, and whilst the weather and scenery was magic, the driving skills on display were diabolical. It's a waste, great part of the world, if only everyone would slow down a bit and enjoy it.