Last Garmin...ever

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Last Garmin...ever

Post by puffin »

Just got back from LEJOG... to find my Garmin Edge 800 no longer connects to my computer...so all my records of the trip will be lost. Called Garmin, spoke to Harry... well, Harry reading from a script... who said give them £74.00 and they will give me a refurbished one, but they cannot save my records of the trip.

My record with Garmins say more about my trust than their reliability. My Etrex... ruined in rain. My forerunner... battery failed after two years, and now my Edge 800, connectors failed. Grrrrr.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Last Garmin...ever

Post by Mick F »

Am I not correct that 800s will talk to each other and share data?
Can you find another 800 user?
Mick F. Cornwall
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi Mick,
Hope you are well.

Good thinking, but there is no facility on the 800... I've been through the menu and handbook.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

puffin wrote:Hi Mick,
Hope you are well.

Good thinking, but there is no facility on the 800... I've been through the menu and handbook.

I had the same, I have posted on your other thread all is not lost :)
Rich
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

If all else fails, can you not connect by cable as an external drive and manually move the files.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi Sbcoombs
Thanks for that, but the computer wont read the device at all, even as an external drive

Hi Rich
I am scrubbing as we speak, thanks for the idea. No luck yet, but I'm working on it.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

puffin wrote:Hi Sbcoombs
Thanks for that, but the computer wont read the device at all, even as an external drive

Hi Rich
I am scrubbing as we speak, thanks for the idea. No luck yet, but I'm working on it.

no probs it is worth trying a new cable too
Rich
tojjer

Post by tojjer »

Not saying it will work for you, but it did for this fella....

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?28734-Transfer-DATA-to-SD-Card-without-a-computer
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'd be having words with Garmin and trying to persuade them to recover the recorded data. I don't know about the technology internally but I remember when I worked for a consumer electronics company we were periodically recovering data from storage devices that had been through washing machines, etc. - not as a "service" but as a PR thing to demonstrate how robust the devices rally were.

If Garmin appreciate the importance of the data and (without threats) the loss and how such issues might impact their market (cyclists) when word about such crucial data loss gets around ... (Important to do is without threats whilst also letting them appreciate your feelings and how you would hate others to experience loss of such personally valuable data ...)

Even though you've already discussed it with them, go back and do the "I don't think you appreciate the loss to me ... I think this issue needs to be escalated to a higher level within the company ... The loss is such that I cannot let the recording of my achievement disappear without attempts to recover the data beyond a token financial gesture ... I cannot believe that Garmin have no means beyond that available to me as a consumer ..."

Ian
puffin

Post by puffin »

Success.... and huge thanks to Ian and Rich, BOTH your ideas worked. I copied the activities to courses on the SD card, then as I was transferring them to my computer Mr. Amazon knocked on the door with my Isoclene cleaning fluid. Minutes later... my Garmin Edge rose Lazarus like to deliver the data.

Thanks again guys, you have been great helps.
puffin

Post by puffin »

All my three Garmins have broken down (Etrec, Forerunner and 800). Can anyone suggest what are the main alternaives to Garmin (my Samsung S7 gives up the ghost after too few hours)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My £70 Moto E Android phone lasts all day navigating on the bike following a pre planned route with Osmand +. If I am just using it for calls the battery lasts 4 to 5 days. Alongside an S7 no need for a SIMM card just use it as a sat nav. These days because Google offers you a map download when you pre-plan any sat nav guided journey you can use it in the car, and it shows you any jams on your route. I do because the built in Garmin Sat Nav in my car is absolute rubbish in comparison.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......