Cicerone route - what would you change

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Max68

Re: Cicerone route - what would you change

Post by Max68 »

Route changed, day 1 to wadebridge rather than fowey, day 2 to okehampton. Done
hawker955

Post by hawker955 »

denniswpearce wrote:Did not find the A38 road too much bother at all. Inevitably you will have to go through towns and possibly cities which I think is much more hazardous. We stayed at hotels which were on the edge of towns/cities and of course starting off in the morning, we would get caught in the morning rush hour. Just requires a bit of vigilance. Plus wearing high vis clothing helps and a rear light. I believe in being seen which gives motorists no excuse not to see me.
Cannot understand cyclists who wear dark colours.

Bright clothing is a much-debated topic for motorcyclists as well. People pull out in front of ambulances with sirens and flashing lights and if you can see someone at twenty yards in normal daylight then you can see still them even if they are wearing all black! The problem is not "Not seeing" It is Not looking!" which is different. Looking is about education and training to develop the correct habit. A Can of worms -argument here I'm afraid!
Note that I am talking here about noticing someone in broad daylight. At night/in fog,etc., etc. being seen demands visibility!
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

To best advise you need to let us know whether you are aiming for a slow scenic trip on mixed surfaces or a fast road tour on paved surfaces (or something in between).

You definitely do not want to cycle down the Lancaster Canal all the way from Preston to Lancaster. It is muddy unimproved towpath for most of its length. If you don't mind fairly busy roads that section of the A6 is okay single carriageway. If you want to avoid the A6, you could base your route on that section of National Cycle Network Route 6 which is all paved and goes down some nice lanes but is a bit indirect.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Sorry. I did not notice that this was an old conversation