Cicerone route - what would you change

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Weimarunner

Cicerone route - what would you change

Post by Weimarunner »

Hi, I like the look of the cicerone end to end route but what would you change about it?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16355794

Thanks to MickF's suggestions I have already changed the start out of Cornwall (not changed map yet). I've plotted a route for both south and north coastlines and I'll take whatever the weather dictates on the day.

Is there anywhere else that the books route could be improved?

Cheers in advance
Pete
Norman H

Re: Cicerone route - what would you change

Post by Norman H »

The best advice I can give you is to start at Land's End and finish at John-O-Groats and plan your own route in between. It's all part of the fun and will enrich the experience. I'm sure you can do better than that route which makes some bizarre choices.

My main criticism would be that it makes excessive use of traffic free routes when much shorter alternatives on quiet roads are ignored. At other times it seems to go out of its way to include busy towns and cities.
denniswpearce

Post by denniswpearce »

Or you could look at this route :- http://www.great-bear-tours.co.uk/#/12-day/4581521863. Click on the route to show a map.
It is a nice route and takes in some nice areas and not too many main roads, does go through some large towns and cities, which is part of the charm. Avoids the A30 in Cornwall, there is even a ferry crossing in Scotland. The very busy centre of Wigan is the pits, butEngland and Scotland does have some beautiful countryside and people of course.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Hi Norman,
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. i'm enjoying the planning phase but just wanted to cash in on local knowledge and experience. I wondered if a few changes to the spine of the Cicerone route would make for a sensible route which can still be accompanied by the guide book.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the link. I see you make quite a lot of use of the A38 from Appledore to almost Taunton. How do you find this, I've been doing my best to dodge A roads

Thanks, it's much appreciated
denniswpearce

Post by denniswpearce »

Did not find the A38 road too much bother at all. Inevitably you will have to go through towns and possibly cities which I think is much more hazardous. We stayed at hotels which were on the edge of towns/cities and of course starting off in the morning, we would get caught in the morning rush hour. Just requires a bit of vigilance. Plus wearing high vis clothing helps and a rear light. I believe in being seen which gives motorists no excuse not to see me.
Cannot understand cyclists who wear dark colours.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

I used this book during my LeJog in 2013 or rather parts of it,I had a good time.
Rich
meic

Post by meic »

On longer tours I tend to have two different but roughly parallel routes that frequently cross each other.
One being faster on larger roads and one exploiting traffic free facilities more.
I can then decide when I am there which to take, depending on wind direction, time of day, traffic levels and how much progress I have made so far already.
Sunday and evening choices will be very different from weekday 9am and 5pm routes.
Many roads which are normally made too unpleasant by the presence of HGVs can be a pleasure on a Sunday.
Yma o Hyd
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Is this the same route posted by Rick H? It has the same error between Ecclefechan and Lockerbie where it doubles back down the motorway. :shock:
Don't do it!
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
RickH

Post by RickH »

bogmyrtle wrote:Is this the same route posted by Rick H? It has the same error between Ecclefechan and Lockerbie where it doubles back down the motorway. :shock:
Don't do it!

Not me! But I agree - don't do it.

I suspect it is just a manual plotting error, just a bit more serious than most, rather than the exact route ridden/intended. It is not uncommon, in my experience, to find unintentional detours in routes (usually a short way down a side street & back out again) & easily done if you are plotting it with the map too zoomed out.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RobH01

Post by RobH01 »

Hello - I used this book and accompanying gpx route for my first LEJOG in June 2016, and followed it closely due to limited time to plot my own route beforehand and lack of local knowledge to call on. I can't compare it to other routes as it's the only one I've done, and found it great. I don't mind passing through towns/cities and enjoyed the quiet lanes too. I camped along the way and used some hostels and B&Bs too, booking as I went.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Looking at the route, it does wander around a bit. Can't argue with the Scottish section at all.

I'd go straight from Liskeard to Tavistock. I'd go from Okehampton to Exeter and beyond via the old A30, meeting up with the route at Taunton.

I'd go up Cheddar Gorge and over to Chew Stoke then up to Long Ashton.

I'd take a more westerly track to avoid Birmingham - Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow, then Ironbridge and Market Drayton via the Tern valley, then up towards Crewe.

I'd also avoid the Lakes and go via Shap and Penrith to Carlisle.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

It's always interesting to read the differing opinions of route. Last year I was in the planning stage of my own solo End to End and apart from deciding I wanted to start from JOG I kept my options of route reasonably open. I read blogs and used various forums for a consensus of ideas and formed my own route based on what took my fancy.

I have to say the planning was a real joy, hence the reason I didn't rely on a book or a dedicated pre planned route. At the start of my own ride I met with another Ender who did follow the route you mention (in reverse) and afterwards when we met we swapped stories. He wished he had included some parts of my own route, namely taking in more of the west coast of Scotland and going by way of ferry to the Isle of Arran. It was also mentioned, that the South West section from Dartmoor (heading from Dartmoor to LE) was very tough going also and a more central journey through Devon and Cornwall would of been less brutal.

It's really is horses for courses as the saying goes, but for me, the main thing it was a route of my own doing, and for that I had no real regrets and loved every minute of it.

Good luck with your own journey.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BottomGear wrote: .......... that the South West section from Dartmoor (heading from Dartmoor to LE) was very tough going also and a more central journey through Devon and Cornwall would of been less brutal.
Many folk really want to "do" Dartmoor, and I don't blame them.

Here's a route that DOESN'T do Dartmoor.

I'll describe the route from LE, but just reverse it if required.
LE to Penzance town centre.
Hayle - along the A30 is fine but you can take other routes.
Connor Downs on the Old A30
Camborne
Redruth
Old A30 to Blackwater and Three Burrows
A3075 and B3284 to A30
Turn off through Zelah
A30 then off via St Newlyn East
Minor roads to White Cross
St Columb Major
A39 to Winnards Perch and keep going on the A39
Wadebridge - you can go through the town and up the other side, but easier going on the main road.
Camelford
Turn off to the east onto the A395 north of the town.
Follow A395 through Hallworthy
Turn off onto minor roads via Tresmeer and Egloskerry to St Stephens.
Cross the main road, go down the hill and turn left.
Turn off right just as the hill starts to bite.
At the T junction, turn right, and this will bring you out onto the Old A30.
Cross the river into England and follow the Old A30 through Lifton/Portgate/Lewdown.
At the end there's a T junction. Turn left and go under the A30 dual carriageway.
Follow the A386 for about a mile to a small crossroads. Turn right down the hill.
This will take you to the Old A30 again and into Okehampton.
Go though the town and turn left at the traffic lights, then right again up Appledore Hill B3215
Follow B3215/A3072/A377 to Crediton.
A3072 to Bickleigh and A396 to Tiverton.
Minor roads via Halberton and Samford Peverell.
Briefly on the A361 and cross over the roundabout over the M5 Jnc 27 onto the A38
Follow A38 via Wellington/Taunton/Bridgwater.

Also, read about Rob's Passage.
This is instead of the hard Cadbury Hills A3072 to Bickleigh.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29204
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=108933
Mick F. Cornwall
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

There are some alternative options between Gretna and Argyll that might be worth considering. The road heading N out of Lochmaben is a nice alternative route to Beatock, and a diversion through Moffat up the bottom part of the Devils Beeftub can go over Greenhillstairs to meet the motorway route before it crosses Beatock Moor. The latter especially would be harder work than the path of righteousness. I also think that from about Abington to Greenock you could go via Glasgow and do much of the distance on pleasant traffic free paths despite being much more heavily populated.
Max68

Post by Max68 »

Hi, I'm planning on staying at okehampton at end of day 2 rather than over Dartmoor. Any thoughts on fowey to okehampton via minions and launceston or is more central route described in detail in earlier less strenuous?? Thanks