Newbee

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Garybain37

Newbee

Post by Garybain37 »

Hi all
Just started planning my trip for next year & thought I'd throw it out there for comments :wink:
I hope to go on the 17/6 which is the longest day & intend to be off @ 4ish so I thought the A30 /A39 was a good shout for the start
I'm a 15avg rider & did chase the sun for this years challenge in 13 hr
My wife will be my support driver & would like me to do in a week (bless her) :D
I'm a head down rider so won't be distracted by the views, the challenge for me is getting it done
Hope you can help me refine my route
Cheers
Gary

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16816648
Paulatic

Re: Newbee

Post by Paulatic »

I always thought the 21st was the longest day. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

You are correct :D
It's a Wednesday so I'll do the Saturday before :wink:
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

By "a week" do you mean 7 days or 9 days (ie including both weekends)? Either way, your first day looks pretty hard, harder than the average you need to do daily to complete the ride, especially with regard to height gain. You don't say how experienced you are with multi-day touring. For most pepole it's best to take it slightly easier the first day or two, ymmv of course.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Day One is an excellent start. The A30 to Launceston is the easiest and quickest way. The Old A30 from Launceston to Okehampton is brilliant.

However, just two points:

Are you going into Okehampton?
When you reach the end of the Old A30 at Sourton, the easiest and quickest way into Okehampton is to re-join the A30 dual carriageway (signposted Exeter just past the services area) and come off directly afterwards maybe half a mile. It's fast downhill circa 35mph. At the end of the sliproad, turn left to re-join the Old A30 into Okehampton town.

Second, and most important, is that at this present moment, the A30 is banned to cyclists from just west of Bodmin to Temple on Bodmin Moor. The plan is to get it all open in Spring next year. I'm sort of sure they'll do it by then as they are well into the finish now, but anything can happen in the next 6 or 9 months.

The signed diversion is terrible. Do not use it.
Instead, come off the A30 at Indian Queens and head up the A39 to bypass Wadebridge, and then go though the town centre of Camelford. Head up the hill and turn right onto the A395. This will take you to Kennards House to re-join the A30 to pick up your original route.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

It wouldn't be my idea of an enjoyable bike ride but, with the early start, you should be fine for the first 3 or 4 hours.

The good news is that you can shave a good few miles off the first days mileage by omitting the various detours that Ride with GPS has tried to sneak in.
Garybain37

Post by Garybain37 »

Never done multi day nosmarbaj just weekend club rides + week day rides, furthest I've ridden in in one go was 205 chase the sun which was flatish but I live in Devon so am used to hills I'm just not that fast up them (steady eddy) :D
Trying for 7 days but will have day 8&9 as a buffer should it go pear shape :lol:
Will keep an eye on the road works Mick F hopefully finished day time I go
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garybain37 wrote:Will keep an eye on the road works Mick F hopefully finished day time I go
I was driving that route Monday last week.

The single carriageway section is being dualled. As such, they need to build new junctions with bridges to get the traffic into the villages. The bridges and junctions are taking the time up although much of the dual sections are all but complete. In fact, the traffic is "threaded" in and out from side-to-side in places onto the new tarmac. The other sides are being used for construction traffic.

There is a 40mph speed limit enforced by average speed cameras and the traffic is thick and nose-to-tail for much of the day with some periods almost stopped. The carriageways are narrow in places and there's no hard shoulder available, consequently, cycling is prohibited.

I will continue to monitor the road as we/I often use the A30 over the moor.
Mick F. Cornwall