Bitten the bullet

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Regieuk

Bitten the bullet

Post by Regieuk »

Well all the tales of 'Jogles' have gotten me in the mood, date set for 15th June, solo over 14 days raising funds for three charities, (Help For Heroes, NCH & Police Dependants Trust)
http://2008jogle.blogspot.com
You all have a lot to answer for !!!
Quick question re route, From Inverness I am heading towards Kincardine with a stop between. I am torn between the A82 route and a stop at Glencoe or via the A9 and stop around Blair Athol?
Suggestion and advice please!
2Tubs

Re: Bitten the bullet

Post by 2Tubs »

Regieuk wrote:Well all the tales of 'Jogles' have gotten me in the mood, date set for 15th June, solo over 14 days raising funds for three charities, (Help For Heroes, NCH & Police Dependants Trust)
http://2008jogle.blogspot.com
You all have a lot to answer for !!!
Quick question re route, From Inverness I am heading towards Kincardine with a stop between. I am torn between the A82 route and a stop at Glencoe or via the A9 and stop around Blair Athol?
Suggestion and advice please!

You must stop at Glencoe.

If for nothing more that the stunning scenery.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
peterm

Post by peterm »

And after you've stopped at Glencoe head down the west coast to Oban,Kilmartin,Lochgilphead and onto Arran-it's not too hilly and is quiet and beautiful.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You only have 14 days. If you take everyone's advice, it'll take you 21 days!
The halfway point is in Cumbria, just south of the Lake District. Aim at that.

My advice is to forget about the scenery of the West Coast, and head out of Inverness down the Old A9 to Perth, thence over the Forth Road Bridge and south to Carlisle.

Stay off:
A82
A9 (new)
A74 near Carlisle

The Old A9 via all the old villages over the Grampians is stunning, quiet of traffic and easy to follow. Some of it on cycle-track and some on deserted tarmac roads.

The A82 is V busy, fast and dangerous. As is the new A9 dual carriageway and the A74.

Good luck, and enjoy!!!
Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

I cycled JOGLE in 13 days and stopped at Glencoe.

I also took a detour from the more traditional route of Lancaster, to go through Settle, just for the views.

Yup, the A82 isn't the most cycle friendly route, but it isn't that bad. I didn't have too many problems, though cycling the east side of Loch Ness might well be quieter.

I agree about the new A9. That is worth avoiding.

As is the A72 near Carlisle (or is it, at least you get that hard shoulder and separation from the fast moving traffic).

And the A38 through Bristol.

Gazza

Mick F wrote:You only have 14 days. If you take everyone's advice, it'll take you 21 days!
The halfway point is in Cumbria, just south of the Lake District. Aim at that.

My advice is to forget about the scenery of the West Coast, and head out of Inverness down the Old A9 to Perth, thence over the Forth Road Bridge and south to Carlisle.

Stay off:
A82
A9 (new)
A74 near Carlisle

The Old A9 via all the old villages over the Grampians is stunning, quiet of traffic and easy to follow. Some of it on cycle-track and some on deserted tarmac roads.

The A82 is V busy, fast and dangerous. As is the new A9 dual carriageway and the A74.

Good luck, and enjoy!!!
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Ron

Post by Ron »

There is a Kincardine north of Inverness :wink: , but as you want to go to the Kincardine on Forth, I would say the A9 route would save time and miles, also less motor traffic to contend with. Plenty of options after crossing the Kincardine Bridge :lol:
Regieuk

Post by Regieuk »

Thanks all, old A9 looks good for milege, scenery & traffic, did I read on here a recommend for a B&B at Pitlochry?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pitlochry?

I've stayed at the YHA twice, and Pitlochry Backpackers once. Both brill.

Backpackers is on the main street, but the bike shed is away right round the back.

YHA is up a hill to the east of the town, and the bike shed is just round the back through the carpark.
Mick F. Cornwall
peterm

Post by peterm »

Last year I jogled down the west coast onto Arran where I stayed 2 nights and cycled around the whole island. The ferry rides are lovely the roads on Arran and down the whole west coast are quiet and beautiful. Iwas in no real hurry-did the Bettyhill Strathnaver Valley route as well-another fantastic option-and my whole trip was still only 17 days-so I think you can do east or west in 14 days quite easily.

The west route largely runs alongside lochs and sea and so whereas it may seem longer it is actually quick if you want it to be. Also the various towns and villages down the west coast have plenty of B&Bs and campsites-I had little trouble in June finding accomodation.
themadorganist

Post by themadorganist »

hi and good luck with it - i did it in lejog in 1996 as my first tour longer than a long weekend and i still have great memories.

As for the route south of inverness, i personally would stick to the A9 route. Almost all of the 'old' A9 has been replaced over the last ten years - I rode from pitlochry to inverness this year and managed to avoid all but about 2 miles of the new road (out of approx 90 miles). Almost all of the old A9 is now a mix of quiet single carriageway and cycle paths. The only disadvantage is that it is still quite close to the new road so can be quite noisy at times. On balance the A82 route is as busy as the new A9 and more dangerous so avoid it. Only use larger sections of the new A9 if in a hurry! Oh, and good luck with the pull up out of Inverness - the descent into Inverness seemed to go on for ever when I did it - so no doubt the climb back out will seem like an eternity!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, A9 into Inverness is wonderful! 30oddmph for ages!

And coming back south ...... I did it early on a Sunday morning. Not steep, but looooooong.
Mick F. Cornwall