E2E June 2017 or 18 - Companion(s) Required

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Robroadie

E2E June 2017 or 18 - Companion(s) Required

Post by Robroadie »

Im hopin to ride LEJOG this or next Summer ( probably June would be good before the schools break up for summer holidays, so less traffic on the roads etc . . )

It would be great if i could ride with someone because i've had a climbing accident in May 2012 & sustained a head injury, which means i now have a seizure condition, similar to epilepsy ( Nature's way of reminding me im not cut out to be a free climber ! )
Otherwise im good to go & fortunate to be in good health & can cycle without any problems. i also swimm to keep fit, though i haven't perfected doing both simultaneously yet !
Seizures are few & far between & well controlled with medication.

To those planning End2End themselves for the first time you may want to consider riding with a 'bike-packing style' set-up to carry essentials.
In effect this means using soft waterproof bags fitted across the handle-bars, directly beneath the top-tube and just under & out toward the rear of the saddle. The idea here is to reduce weight & improve bike handeling & overall ride-ability. I've spoken to one or two bike shops & they reckon i could save up to 50-60% weight this way. We shall see !

Training-wise im trying to get in two 25-30 mile rides per week plus swimming 3-4 miles per week. I will begin to add in a 40 - 50 mile 'weekend' ride by February and then by March start to assess my bike fittness by timing myself on a regular 30 mile cirquit, ridden before, several times. Then ride a bit more intensely, adding hilly routes to build stamina, which isn't difficult here in Cornwall !
An occasional sports massage & a bike service, diet check & carbo-load a couple of days before starting, i hope will have prepared me enough for back-2-back days in the saddle.

Im planning a route that's approx 1,200 miles, taking into account as many traffic free roads as possible. This is based on using a new SUSTRANS guide book, which maps the whole way. I've had a friend look over the route and he rates it as good on the whole, with a few slight route variations. He's done End2End a couple of times in both directions. I hope to be covering 50 - 60 miles per day, on average, therefore taking approx 20 - 25 days. Im flexible & open to route variations / suggestions. I've had a few conversations with other cyclists & they all agree that takin a little longer makes the ride easier & more enjoyable.

Has all the potential to be a g8 ride.