Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
oldmanonabike

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by oldmanonabike »

sultzer wrote:day 8 , linwater park -- is a great park if doing a charity they will help you , stayed there 2016 , fresh free range eegs , mmmmalso you can order outright to the park ,

Thanks for the info
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Since I posted my wish to go B&B on the ride I have had contact from other riders wanting to do the same.
Of the ten riders registered Five want to use B&B.
Since the start Landsurfer and Jules have taken the role of backup and camp superintendent Which is essential for the trip to succeed. The b&b element has complicated this somewhat , we can't expect Jules to drop off and pickup our luggage all over the countryside as well as erect tents, sort out pitches and all the rest. When I decided to go b&b I didn't give this any thought.
It will be difficult to find one b&b to take five riders in some of the remote areas we are staying in.
I don't want the responsibility of finding ,booking and paying the deposit for the b&b's.
Remember we are not a business organising tours,just a bunch of cyclists getting together to enjoy what will be a great achievement, so I need help to sort this out.
Do we scrap the B&b/hotel idea or find a way around the difficulties. We are all in this together so please think about this and post what you think
softlips

Post by softlips »

I will be camping - wife supporting in campervan. I was a little dissapointed when reading some were doing B+B to be honest. It would be nice if we were all in the same place but I'm not one to dictate what others do. So long as it's easy to get together each morning to set off without delays I'm easy.
flash

Post by flash »

PM also sent. Sounds like a cunning plan.....I just realised and read some of the pages following your origional post. The camping idea sounds really good......
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I think it's important we all cycle together .... b&b or campsite .... i suspect the best fun will be had at the campsite ... and those not with the camping pack will soon make their own choices ... ... this about fun .... if you don't think it will be ..... move on .... David
I would like this post to be a stress free zone .... what do you think oldmanonabike ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

I've been hovering on the fence about joining this trip but am now even more uncertain as there's now a split or at least division in the camp (sorry) with quite a few wanting B&B and some camping .... my hesitation was that IF I was to join it'd only be on a B&B basis.

Looks like the wheels could be falling off the idea?

B1
Riding high!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Well barred1 .. Just don't bother, move on and let the rest of us have a nice trip ....

This trip is not compulsory ... Enjoy your cycling ... And I hope your wheels never fall off lol
Be more Mike.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

I am looking at the developments here out of possible interest in doing an end to end myself on the bicycle one day. But I think my experience might be usefull to the present possible participants.

I have been on several supported camping tours .. with participants numbering in the 800 region. Most camp as that is how these ones are organised, a few get B&B/hotel accommodation along the way booked well infront of the tour. They picked their gear up from the camp site and deposited it back in the morning. After 2 wet days and one wet night there were few people camped .. most having obtained sheltered accommodation elsewhere. I think those left camped were unable to find suitable accommodation.

So I would stick with the camping model. If enough people want 'better' accommodation then they could organise that themselves? If the 'better' accommodation numbers are up, then hotel booking for a larger number of people should attract a discount.

P.S. If you think 800 is too many .. this particular organisation has a yearly tour organised in the school holidays .. with participants in the 5,000 region, the police have been known to close the A road for them. Being school holidays a large number of participants are young.. and party into the night. 800 is nothing for this organisation, and the 800s are run in school times so there is a little peace during the night. Towns compete to be on their routes. The support vehicles are HGVs .. the luggage truck converts into the showers. link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Victorian_Bike_Ride
Last edited by Warin61 on 18 Mar 2017, 10:53pm, edited 2 times in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thank you for your helpful comment Warin61.
The plan is to arrange camping for those that require it ...
B&B etc participants will be expected to make their own arrangements but will be welcome, and actively encouraged, to join us campers in the evenings for company.
Be more Mike.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

It was wrong of me to inflict my ideas onto everyone else without discussion but it's now been discussed and everyone is happy. :D
I'm not sure about the most fun being had on the campsite though, I was hoping it would be in the pub but there again I've never camped but I've often been in a pub.
There are a couple of other ideas worth talking about.
One ,are the riders prepared to ride in a solid block to protect me from the wind?
Two,How do we stop the tow ropes getting entangled while I am getting pulled up the hills.?
The logistics of getting a group, which has now grown to eleven to the starting point when Only two bikes are allowed per train pale into insignificance compared to those questions.
Peace has broken out, roll on the wimps lejog
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My company is providing a 7 seater transit for our use for the trip.
As well as the seats it has a considerable load space easily capable of carrying 7 + bikes and camping kit etc.
Its route to Lands End will be Sheffield, Birmingham / Coventry, Tewksbury, Bristol, Exeter etc. The return from JOG as far as Sheffield..... bookings taken on a first come first served basis.
Be more Mike.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Me me first, my mate second actually with 3 riders taking there own transport that may be all we need. You seem to have inadvertently missed Durham of your list. I'm off on the clubs old man Sunday ride now if the wind drops and the rain stops.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

We have two riders from Durham two fro Rotherham two from Blackpool one from exmouth Tamworth Grantham,Corby Bristol I'm sure I've forgotten sombody. Three are taking campervansor cars
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

And one from clitheroe sorry Alasdair ,he may be slow in responding he is in Spain at the moment and I don't know how fast email is from there lol
John100

Post by John100 »

No problem oldmanonabike! Back in soggy England. I would be interested in transport from Sheffield. Only about 1.5 hours from my base in Clitheroe and I have a son there. There seems to be a lot of positivity on the thread and I agree it needs to be stress free! I'm tending to be on the b&b side. No doubt things will crystallize with time and input.