Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
landsurfer

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by landsurfer »

flash wrote:I was moving bikes yesterday, the Harrison is about half the weight of the Pompino. I'm aiming to use either a Carradice zipped tool roll (v small saddlebag) or the frame bag I had on the Pompino.....

Yes, your frame bag was interesting, I like the idea for a day ride.
So back to the " what panniers" do you recommend.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flash

Post by flash »

Do you need panniers??? I'm thinking of the trip as a series of day rides, so basic tools, tube (or 2), pump, energy bars and jacket..or am I missing something?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

flash wrote:Do you need panniers??? I'm thinking of the trip as a series of day rides, so basic tools, tube (or 2), pump, energy bars and jacket..or am I missing something?

I'm thinking of the less than 365 days before the main event.
I am probably going to have other adventures before the LEJOG to which a "Touring" bike would be useful ....
And panniers...
I understand your minimalist approach to rides , the man on a fixie, respect.
Genuinely.
But i really want to have some "stuff" with me on longer rides ....
Well thats the plan ...
Be more Mike.
flash

Post by flash »

I see. My pannier carrying mates tend to have Altura, unless they've won the lottery, then it's Ortlieb...
KFT

Post by KFT »

Mine are Halford's Bike Hut - have been ok for daily commuting without getting thing's wet, and when I did Coast and Castles a couple of years ago, I just packed anything that definitely couldn't get wet in a sturdy carrier bag. If you don't get any before then I'll only be using one, so will have a spare.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I want a light as possible bike for the lejog no panniers .My rain jacket squashes into a saddlebag with my tyre levers,spare tubes ,a multi tool,pump,and chain link.Hills are hard enough without adding weight and the beauty of backup is the ability to decide what to wear and carry depending on that days weather
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
flash

Post by flash »

My thoughts exactly......
KFT

Post by KFT »

I think because i use pannier every day I don't find it onerous - I don't notice it making any real difference whether it is on or off, and it means that I can chuck waterproof jacket in there (and sarnies which helps to keep cost down as well). I do agree about treating it as a series of day rides, but I tend to do those with a single pannier on as well :(
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Having looked at KFT's bike the other weekend and planning for longer day rides i have decided to visit SPA Cycles tomorrow to discuss the purchase of a SPA Cycles Steel Tourer, in green. With a single 38 tooth chainset.

Although both my current bikes have alloy frames I am from the 531 generation.... and have a small number of 531 frames squirrelled away ... If any one wants one at a non ebay price..

The TREK 1.1 will be my daily short distance ride (<30 miles), my beloved BTwin 500 will have mudguards fitted from my shed stocks and will be my winter bike .... and the SPA will be for long days out ...Hopefully lots of them.

So chaps and chapesses .... if there is a really good reason why i should avoid the "SPA Cycles Steel Tourer" ..... now is the time to tell me.. :)
Last edited by landsurfer on 26 Jul 2017, 8:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be more Mike.
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:So chaps and chapesses .... if there is a really good reason why i should avoid the "SPA Cycles Steel Tourer" ..... now is the time to tell me.. :)

Of course not, perfect number is n+1!

Not sure which bike I'll ride for Lejog. My bike up to now has been a Planet X London Road, I have mudguards for this. But I've just bought a Giant Defy Advance Pro 1.

Are others using mudguards for Lejog?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

In view of the milage and British Summer weather i am certainly using mudguards, which i hope will be a total waste of time .... :)
Be more Mike.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

softlips wrote:
landsurfer wrote:So chaps and chapesses .... if there is a really good reason why i should avoid the "SPA Cycles Steel Tourer" ..... now is the time to tell me.. :)

Of course not, perfect number is n+1!

Not sure which bike I'll ride for Lejog. My bike up to now has been a Planet X London Road, I have mudguards for this. But I've just bought a Giant Defy Advance Pro 1.

Are others using mudguards for Lejog?

I won't be using mudguards I will probably use my disc synapse alloy as it's the most comfortable but my giant defy advanced 2 is the lightest. Both are 11 speed disc but I've fettled a triple chainset into the synapse just in case the rumours about Cornish hills are true
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Mudguards are probably a good shout. If riding in a pack for hours and it rains, we may all get a bit sprayed. Hiding from the wind tucked into someone's spray is no fun and can be dangerous with poor visibility. I'm happy to ride out front so not an issue for me, but for those following I suspect a rear mudguard would be a godsend.
If someone can plan 2 weeks of sun it would be perfect.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
KFT

Post by KFT »

i've been debating over which bike to take as well, but think i'll stick to the Vaya, with muguards and hub dynamo ( I think the other option of the tandem's a bit heavy :lol: )

Dependant on the mileage and conditions for each day the pannier may get left in the car.

I did place an order for south westerley winds with dry conditions earlier this year, but have had information back saying that although they can fulfil this order they can't tell me when it will arrive - might be early, might be late. There is a small possibility it will be on time, but then only overnight
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (11.67 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Went to SPA Cycles this morning in Harrogate, that was a surprise.
Buried at the back of a little industrial estate.
Passed me a demo bike to have a ride around on ( left my grandson as ransom :lol: ) and a single chainring version of the attached pic was ordered, paid for and will be ready for collection in 14 days .... :D :D
Be more Mike.