Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
flash
Posts: 519
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 11:34am

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby flash » 12 Aug 2019, 9:14pm

In my area the Monmouth to Chepstow past Tintern Abbey then over the Severn Bridge is really good. Clevedon sea front (nice cafe and Victorian pier), Weston Sea Front (nice cafe and crap pier)....

Nickeveson
Posts: 187
Joined: 25 Nov 2014, 5:15pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Nickeveson » 13 Aug 2019, 9:54pm

For anyone interested in the book it is now for sale on eBay. Item number is 183919255737
Each copy sold will benefit Bloodwise....thanks xx

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 16 Aug 2019, 2:13pm

Suggested Wimps Jogle part 1 Scotland.Ive always wanted to do Inverness to Fort William so that's on here I've also missed those nasty hills near jog. On Lejog I pretty much picked the general route after discussions with Landsurfer. Cycleruk and KFT refined the whole thing and forum members made helpful suggestions. This time I hope KFT cycleruk and I will be able to include the other Wimps ideas to show their favorite bits and other forum members will help with their ideas. Ideally I would want to avoid retracing our steps. I fancy going down the other side of England but all options including this bit are open to discussion
www.plotaroute.com/route/905079
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

John100
Posts: 122
Joined: 9 Mar 2017, 10:51pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby John100 » 16 Aug 2019, 3:05pm

Looks good. Agree about not retracing our original route. Always fancied including some of the Scottish islands even if just Arran, but I guess too tricky. I take it you've avoided Loch Lomond side as it's supposed to be pretty hairy. From my point of view 2 weeks would seem more doable and practical for those working. What time of year? Similar to LEJOG? If I'm going to be able to do it need to start planning round family committments etc. Also need to decide whether camping, b&b or a mixture. We were lucky with the weather on LEJOG as far as camping goes.

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 16 Aug 2019, 3:26pm

John100 wrote:Looks good. Agree about not retracing our original route. Always fancied including some of the Scottish islands even if just Arran, but I guess too tricky. I take it you've avoided Loch Lomond side as it's supposed to be pretty hairy. From my point of view 2 weeks would seem more doable and practical for those working. What time of year? Similar to LEJOG? If I'm going to be able to do it need to start planning round family committments etc. Also need to decide whether camping, b&b or a mixture. We were lucky with the weather on LEJOG as far as camping goes.

It is possible to catch ferries and island hop I would also like to do that but I'm not sure if that would be practical in a 14 day adventure. I seem to remember reading on this forum that lock Lomond was busy but the other side was OK I need to look at that. I would prefer using cheap hotels but I'm unsure if I could afford that time will tell.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4215
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Paulatic » 16 Aug 2019, 3:55pm

From Dumbarton why head further west when you’re coming back onto R74 anyway?
R7 down through Clydebank and Glasgow beside the Clyde then onto R75 is really very good. No hills until Chatelrhault park that I can remember :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4215
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Paulatic » 16 Aug 2019, 4:29pm

Paulatic wrote:From Dumbarton why head further west when you’re coming back onto R74 anyway?
R7 down through Clydebank and Glasgow beside the Clyde then onto R75 is really very good. No hills until Chatelrhault park that I can remember :)

Here’s Loch Lomond viewtopic.php?t=107968
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 20 Aug 2019, 9:58am

Looking at the responses to the 3 week Jogle and being reluctant to effectively stopping some Wimps from taking part may I suggest
For next year do a Wimps tour of Scotland including some of the islands. this could be 7 to 10days depending on the Wimps availability.
The following year we could complete Jogle from the Scottish borders to LE.
Hopefully this will allow all Wimps to take part without interrupting family life to much.
Comments and ideas Please
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

KFT
Posts: 130
Joined: 28 Jan 2015, 8:53pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby KFT » 20 Aug 2019, 2:12pm

I quite like the sound of that - certainly a lot more feasible from my point of view with work.

Nickeveson
Posts: 187
Joined: 25 Nov 2014, 5:15pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Nickeveson » 20 Aug 2019, 2:58pm

I am deffo up for that...sounds great

John100
Posts: 122
Joined: 9 Mar 2017, 10:51pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby John100 » 20 Aug 2019, 4:17pm

I agree. Sounds good and more doable. If we had a back up van would be more complicated with ferries etc if the van was to follow us.

flash
Posts: 519
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 11:34am

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby flash » 20 Aug 2019, 5:01pm

I must admit I was really looking forward to a JOGLE. I wouldn't want to ride borders to LE. I like the challenge of the whole route, plus I was hoping to do the whole route on my Uncle John's bike. We talked about the trip and he wanted me to have his bike before he passed away. It would mean a lot to me. I'd possibly be up for a Scotland plus islands ride but End to End would definitely be my preference.....

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 20 Aug 2019, 7:07pm

flash wrote:I must admit I was really looking forward to a JOGLE. I wouldn't want to ride borders to LE. I like the challenge of the whole route, plus I was hoping to do the whole route on my Uncle John's bike. We talked about the trip and he wanted me to have his bike before he passed away. It would mean a lot to me. I'd possibly be up for a Scotland plus islands ride but End to End would definitely be my preference.....

If enough of the Wimps decide Jogle it will happen I'm trying to keep the gang together but nothing is cast in concrete
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 20 Aug 2019, 7:18pm

I know it's hard to believe but some things are more important than cycling .
At 72 with failing health ive decided to make the C2C my last Wimps ride and spend my time with my ever understanding wife and family.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby landsurfer » 20 Aug 2019, 7:52pm

Respect Ken ............ pm sent.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.