Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paulatic

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:What about LEJOG and BACK?

Serious question.

That puts me right back to my original plan before joining Wimps.
Living approximately half way I was considering riding to LE and back a week in the garden then to JoG and back. Cuts out all that hassle of transport which is a lot harder than cycling.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
flash

Post by flash »

I'd be up for it Nick.....
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Ask me next week :)
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:What about LEJOG and BACK?

Serious question.

Great idea for the retired ... Not so good for the rest of us i suspect.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flash

Post by flash »

I’m not sure as a sort of retired person LEJOG and back is a great idea, various bits of me would probably not speak to me for a long time after..... :lol:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

In the grand WIMPS tradition of minimum height gain along the route .. does anyone have a Blackpool to Hornsea, low traffic / "B" road route, they would like to recommend ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flash

Post by flash »

You know the cunning plans you come up with in pubs after a few ales? Well one of my other bikes has been suggested, my Surly Pugsley Single Speed Fat bike...that would be a challenge....
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:In the grand WIMPS tradition of minimum height gain along the route .. does anyone have a Blackpool to Hornsea, low traffic / "B" road route, they would like to recommend ?

The Wimps have a planner who lives in that area
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I bet Mick F's got his trailer out and blown the tyres up today!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.
Not had it out for ages ......... years. Both tyres are soft, and the whole thing is upside down gathering dust in the shed.
I have meant to get it sorted and go shopping with it like I have done many times, but never got round to it.

Mrs Mick F is away from tomorrow for a fortnight, so I'll be left doing the "domestic thing" for myself, so now this subject has been raised, I could do my shopping by bike+trailer again. I'll give it a go with the Moulton next week.

Watch this space.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

landsurfer wrote:In the grand WIMPS tradition of minimum height gain along the route .. does anyone have a Blackpool to Hornsea, low traffic / "B" road route, they would like to recommend ?

Once out of Blackpool there are quiet lanes to the A6. From the A6 then the climbing starts (nothing serious :roll: ).
I would consider getting to Gargrave or Skipton and look at following the Leeds/Liverpool canal as that is going to be flat.
What I don't know is the state of the towpaths and we have had an experience of that on LeJog. :wink:
After Leeds follow towpath alongside River Aire and then lanes to Selby. From Selby pick up the Trans Pennine Trail all the way to Hornsea.
I've no idea what the TPT surfaces are like and maybe others have a better idea. ?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Trans ... 5?hl=en-GB

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28211050

PS, It may be worth putting this in the "Touring" section which may give a wider audience ?
Last edited by cycleruk on 1 Aug 2018, 5:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

cycleruk wrote:I would consider getting to Gargrave or Skipton and look at following the Leeds/Liverpool canal as that is going to be flat.
What I don't know is the state of the the towpaths and we have had an experience of that on LeJog. :wink:
After Leeds follow towpath alongside River Aire and then lanes to Selby. From Selby pick up the Trans Pennine Trail all the way to Hornsea.
I've no idea what the TPT surfaces are like and maybe others have a better idea. ?

Did a bit of this earlier this month. The towpath from Gargrave to Bingley is pretty poor. Much is unmade grassy bank with random rocks and roots. It was just about rideable but very uncomfortable on my thorn tourer They are actively renovating a section at Silsden which will help although the section was completely closed so I had to climb the valley side to progress. Bingley into Leeds is pretty good with some nice industrial heritage on display. I followed a route created on cycle.travel through Selby to the Humber Bridge. Leaving Leeds requires some concentration to avoid v busy roads and use the network of shared paths, you then do a tour of municipal disposal facilities before heading out past Fairburn Ings RSPB reserve and backroads. Beyond Selby was OK with some nice picturesque villages. I got a bargain deal at the Ibis in Saltaire if that is of interest.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:No.
Not had it out for ages ......... years. Both tyres are soft, and the whole thing is upside down gathering dust in the shed.
I have meant to get it sorted and go shopping with it like I have done many times, but never got round to it.

Mrs Mick F is away from tomorrow for a fortnight, so I'll be left doing the "domestic thing" for myself, so now this subject has been raised, I could do my shopping by bike+trailer again. I'll give it a go with the Moulton next week.

Watch this space.

Do a coast Cornwall ride now the weather is good again whats stopping you:)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Stopping me?
Good question.

Riding a lightweight 531c bike is easy.
Put a trailer on the back with a load in it, gives you some hard work with these Cornwall and Devon hills.
You get fit and strong and hardened to this.

Try riding up the Devon and Cornwall hills with a load behind you. Most folk make the journey as easy as they can do, but try making it as hard as you can make it. Hills become steeper and longer.

Try riding a bike that is hard work rather than a bike that is easy.
What is better?
Hard work riding, or easy riding?

I have a ride that I've done many times.
Gunnislake to Hatherleigh, turn left for Holsworthy and carry on for Stratton, then turn south for Davidstow and Camelford, then southeast for Callington and home. 87miles.

I plan on doing clockwise on Moulton later this week.
I'll be knackered. :shock:

This is info from 2014 from when I did it last (anti-clockwise).
Try it fully loaded.
Map.png
Stratton 87.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Blimey, Mick F's not happy! :(