Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
landsurfer

Re: WimpLeJog

Post by landsurfer »

After 70 - 80 miles a day X 12 days ... i will be imbibing of ale .... Jules is a G&T sort of girl .... Can't speak for the rest ...
Last edited by landsurfer on 31 Jan 2017, 10:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Re: WimpLeJog

Post by landsurfer »

KFT wrote:PM sent.
I'd be really interested in this - would it involve beer? :D

What type of camper / trailer tent do you have ???
Last edited by landsurfer on 31 Jan 2017, 10:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be more Mike.
PH

Re: Wimplejog

Post by PH »

oldmanonabike wrote:Yes I should have made myself clearer when I said broadly. Mick gave alternative routes but I wanted to keep to 12days that wouldn't have been possible with an extra 120 or so extra miles

I can only speak for myself, but I could ride the longer route quicker.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Ok I will come clean if we go this way I can pop in and see my wife on the way past
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
KFT

Post by KFT »

It's a Pennine Quartz 6.
We can pitch it without the awning in about 20 minutes, add another 30 or so for the awning if required - does double the size of it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own?

Post by Mick F »

rareposter wrote:
Mick F wrote:I often think about going on a supported ride, but going my own route, and only joining up at each day's destination.
Maybe you could consider that?
There can't be any rule about following their route faithfully, so long as you start and finish each day at the correct place.

Having worked on supported LEJOGs several times, there absolutely is a rule about sticking to the correct route!
Me too, and there isn't a rule. They may WANT you to follow the route, but there's no compulsion.

Just let them know where you are going, make sure you check in via your mobile phone. Also have some ID and contact details for your support team.

I'm not saying don't follow ANY of their route, but ......... for instance, Dartmoor ............
Yes, they "all" want to go over Dartmoor, but it's silly IMO considering you can avoid it easily by going via Okehampton. Flat and easy going (for Devon). Dartmoor can be hellish even in summer ........ and I don't mean just on a bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mick F wrote:
rareposter wrote:
Mick F wrote:I often think about going on a supported ride, but going my own route, and only joining up at each day's destination.
Maybe you could consider that?
There can't be any rule about following their route faithfully, so long as you start and finish each day at the correct place.

Having worked on supported LEJOGs several times, there absolutely is a rule about sticking to the correct route!
Me too, and there isn't a rule. They may WANT you to follow the route, but there's no compulsion.

Just let them know where you are going, make sure you check in via your mobile phone. Also have some ID and contact details for your support team.

I'm not saying don't follow ANY of their route, but ......... for instance, Dartmoor ............
Yes, they "all" want to go over Dartmoor, but it's silly IMO considering you can avoid it easily by going via Okehampton. Flat and easy going (for Devon). Dartmoor can be hellish even in summer ........ and I don't mean just on a bike.

The point that was ignored was the necessity to keep to the planned route on an organised trip so that a) they know where you are, and b) you can be helped if necessary - and of course there's just common courtesy towards the organiser and other participants to go along with what you have chosen as a trip and that has been organised for you . . .

If you want to do your own thing, then that's what you do - on your own.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

robgul wrote:If you want to do your own thing, then that's what you do - on your own.
Yes, of course.

My point .......... badly made originally :oops: .......... is that you can opt out of different sections with no detriment to the organisers or to the system.

What happens if you want to take a day off and get to the next destination by train, or get a lift?
What's actually wrong with circumventing Dartmoor whilst all the other riders climb over it?

Maybe I'm coming at this as an experience End2Ender, so know the route?
Maybe the people who use these companies aren't like me?

As I said, I wouldn't mind being "looked after" if I did another End2End, but I would reserve the right to take a diversion of their stated route once or twice ........ or thrice.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mick F wrote:
robgul wrote:If you want to do your own thing, then that's what you do - on your own.
Yes, of course.

My point .......... badly made originally :oops: .......... is that you can opt out of different sections with no detriment to the organisers or to the system.

What happens if you want to take a day off and get to the next destination by train, or get a lift?
What's actually wrong with circumventing Dartmoor whilst all the other riders climb over it?

As I said, I wouldn't mind being "looked after" if I did another End2End, but I would reserve the right to take a diversion of their stated route once or twice ........ or thrice.

.... OK and if I was the organiser of the package I would make it very clear that IF you are off the prescribed route then all support etc for you is suspended until you are back on track - seems reasonable to me? Any deviation is detrimental and unreasonable - you signed up for the offer - simple!

AND yes - people like you (and me) don't use package providers! That said, lots of people I know that have done so have raved about how good the trips were.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
So long as you and the organisers are in the picture, all will be well.

People like me (and you) don't use package providers, but there is merit in them.

As you know, I'm in the process of getting my head round St David's Head to Lowestoft Head - or the other way round - and I know very well that I'll be in foreign climes for much of it. If there was a company who would do it when I wanted to do it, it could very well take the strain out of the organising. I would STILL reserve the right to take time out and do my own thing and not necessarily follow their route/itinerary every single day.

I do know there is a company doing the route.
Do I want to go with them?

Dunno.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:I do know there is a company doing the route.
Do I want to go with them?

Dunno.

Or put feelers out on here for company and build a support package out of your and companions families ....
Be more Mike.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Half a dozen riders have pm'd me so far,anyone else?
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote:
robgul wrote:What happens if you want to take a day off and get to the next destination by train, or get a lift?

The people doing the events are not like you or (I guess) most people on this forum. They're not experienced tourers, they don't have an in-depth knowledge of the route or the roads, they are doing it as a challenge, as a charity ride, for personal reasons and they've bought into it.

Frankly, the very idea of going off route wouldn't even occur to them! And why should it? That's like signing up to a cruise but then deciding that you don't like that bit so you'll jump on a speedboat for a bit!

You've signed up for a package - you do the package.

There is the option to get the broom wagon if you're really ill / injured but agaion, most people would rather crawl over broekn glass to get to their bike than admit defeat and climb into the broom. As robgul says, it's fairly straightforward logistics and common courtesy to do the event that the organisers have laid on for you. If you don't like it, don't do it.

That said, to answer the OP, to do the event that YOU want is basically going to rely on you finding a couple of like minded people that you're happy to spend three weeks with and someone happy to drive a support vehicle for that amount of time!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A little story from a few years ago.

We get many End2Enders coming though the village. It's the "main" road between The West and Dartmoor.
I happened to be in the village and saw that there were lots of cyclists turning into the carpark, so I went for a look-see and hopefully a chat.

They'd come up from LE the day before, and were heading over Dartmoor to Exeter. They'd turned in to meet up with their support who were parked. It was a big van with the rear doors open - tea urn(?) and other drinks etc plus snacks. I chatted ......... or tried to ........... to the support and to some of the riders.

Not one single person was interested in where they actually were, how hard Dartmoor was going to be, or what their route was over the next few days, or even through N England or Scotland. I was horrified internally, but puzzled externally ......... and I said so. I tried to chat to the support chappy, but he basically blanked me.
I wanted to say the standard thing, "Don't you know who I am?" :lol: :lol:

I smile about this all the time, and I see it just about every spring and summer.
I was horrified and puzzled, now I'm just a little sad, but with a wry smile.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:A little story from a few years ago.

We get many End2Enders coming though the village. It's the "main" road between The West and Dartmoor.
I happened to be in the village and saw that there were lots of cyclists turning into the carpark, so I went for a look-see and hopefully a chat.

They'd come up from LE the day before, and were heading over Dartmoor to Exeter. They'd turned in to meet up with their support who were parked. It was a big van with the rear doors open - tea urn(?) and other drinks etc plus snacks. I chatted ......... or tried to ........... to the support and to some of the riders.

Not one single person was interested in where they actually were, how hard Dartmoor was going to be, or what their route was over the next few days, or even through N England or Scotland. I was horrified internally, but puzzled externally ......... and I said so. I tried to chat to the support chappy, but he basically blanked me.
I wanted to say the standard thing, "Don't you know who I am?" :lol: :lol:

I smile about this all the time, and I see it just about every spring and summer.
I was horrified and puzzled, now I'm just a little sad, but with a wry smile.

:lol: :lol:
That'll be the same ones I meet when they come through my patch.
Some of them barely know where they are ending up that same day. Absolutely no idea which route they are doing tomorrow and a vague recollection of where they were yesterday. Always on an organised event.
Riders on a DIY are totally different. Usually keen to chat on the road about their journey so far and keen to discuss where they are going. Ive also noticed over the years a number of solo riders are very nervous when riding two abreast so probably a major reason they do it alone.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info