Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by Mick F »

Sounds like we are in agreement then. :D

I was saying that some riders have come though here, not knowing anything about anything.
They didn't know where they were or where they were going next, and had no appreciation of the navigation or the area.
No research .......... no nothing.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Sounds like we are in agreement then. :D

OK, I'll leave it at that, though you probably know we're not :?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

landsurfer wrote:And to have the flattest, easiest route we can complete in 12 days cycling.

Just bear in mnd that "flat" does not necessarily equal easy. Flat means you have to keep pedalling the whole way rather than enjoying the view form the top of a hill and the freewheel down the other side and it also often restricts you to valley roads which are busier unless you can findf canal towpaths or disused railway lines like the Monsal Trail through the Peak District. (Bakewell to Buxton)

I mean there's "avoiding the worst hills" which means not going up the middle of the Trough of Bowland or right over Dartmoor but there's also "oh no, that's a slight hill, we'll take the busy A-road instead!"

But it sounds like a lovely little endeavour, mixing bicycle riding with luxury camping (especially if you don't have to pitch the tents and cook the food!)
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Following these threads from the start it all seems to have lost its way?

The original post was for a 21 day leisurely and easy ride . . . now seems to have morphed into a 12 day ride (which even supported is faster than the average 14 day ride)

I'd be possibly interested but would want to meet the other potential participants in the flesh before making a commitment.

B1
Riding high!
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

The 12 day ride 14 including traveling was inspired by the original post. Anyone is free to take the plunge and offer to arrange longer rides if they wish.
The Wimp lejog is being organised by two people who have never met but find common ground they want to complete a Lejog for their own satisfaction and are generous enough to share that with other forum members. The people who have responded have never met either but if you joined a ride with a tour operator would you know the other participants?
We have had interest from a wide area, while everyone on the forum is welcome I don't intend to arrange a meeting to be vetted by the other participants
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've got a bit confused too :)
Its a pity that Dartmoor is seen as a bit of a challenge because the views are very good and you are more likely to stop and look there than anywhere.
Its not really that bad unless its raining and then anywhere in the rain is down heartening.
If you get to Princetown then the "Fox Tor Café" is always good.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

oldmanonabike wrote:The 12 day ride 14 including traveling was inspired by the original post. Anyone is free to take the plunge and offer to arrange longer rides if they wish.
The Wimp lejog is being organised by two people who have never met but find common ground they want to complete a Lejog for their own satisfaction and are generous enough to share that with other forum members. The people who have responded have never met either but if you joined a ride with a tour operator would you know the other participants?
We have had interest from a wide area, while everyone on the forum is welcome I don't intend to arrange a meeting to be vetted by the other participants

The suggestion of "vetting" is a bit OTT - "getting to know" would be more appropriate . . . having met some Forum members there are those that I wouldn't want to share two weeks with . . . and equally they may take that view of me, that's fine but I'm sure we'd both prefer to find out up front rather than the hard way.

B1
Riding high!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Its a pity that Dartmoor is seen as a bit of a challenge because the views are very good and you are more likely to stop and look there than anywhere.
Its not really that bad unless its raining and then anywhere in the rain is down heartening.
People do not realise how hard it is. Until you have actually climbed up Pork Hill and then out of Merrivale to Rundlestone Cross, you have no idea what a real hill is like.

Remember, were talking about either people on an organised ride who have never ridden long-distance before, or people who want an easier LEJOG.

Any experienced rider who has ridden in different parts of the country, will have an appreciation of Dartmoor.

Yes, that cafe in Princetown is good!
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Heh.......we agree on something 8)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

This is the latest beta route for Wimps lejog 2018
Any comments or route improvements ,bearing in mind we are trying to create an easy way, are welcome
http://www.plotaroute.com/route/353933
Last edited by oldmanonabike on 12 Aug 2017, 9:27am, edited 9 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a quickie.

A38 to Bristol.
If you go up Red Hill to Bristol, you go past the airport.
It's a bit of a grind.

It's easier to go via Congresbury and Long Ashton.
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 17.26.04.png
Mick F. Cornwall
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

thanks,
just done a 10mile alteration just before Kendal and a shorter one near church stretton same mileage but more pleasant to ride
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

mileage 894 climbing 39927 feet its getting easier
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

I cannot wait for this.....
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Me neither