Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
oldmanonabike

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by oldmanonabike »

Latest update on route 869.5 miles 38549feet
http://www.plotaroute.com/route/353933
Last edited by oldmanonabike on 8 Feb 2017, 1:40pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Pm sent ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Not sure what you're using to plan the route but from a quick look there's a massive amount of very cycle un-friendly main A roads (including the A30) and loads of busy bypasses around towns but going then through the centre of big cities (e.g. Bristol) . . . obviously the team must be "macho wimps"

My suggestion would be to get the Cicerone book and modify the route in the Cumbria/Lakes area to reduce the lumps - other than that it's pretty benign.

. . . but I'm sure MickF will be along shortly with some useful comments.

B1 (two-way E2E veteran)
Riding high!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, comments! :D

I've always said, that there's nothing wrong with A roads - and even trunk roads - but you need to mix and match.
The bigger roads are fast and generally flatter. They are great for getting the miles done, and great for getting through and out of the cities and towns.

Mix and match.
Get a move on on main roads, and then take your time on the lanes and by-ways.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Barred1 wrote:Not sure what you're using to plan the route but from a quick look there's a massive amount of very cycle un-friendly main A roads (including the A30) and loads of busy bypasses around towns but going then through the centre of big cities (e.g. Bristol) . . . obviously the team must be "macho wimps"

My suggestion would be to get the Cicerone book and modify the route in the Cumbria/Lakes area to reduce the lumps - other than that it's pretty benign.
.B1 (two-way E2E veteran)

What "lumps" (excluding Shap) in the Lake district and how would you bypass them ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PH

Post by PH »

Horses for courses and we're all different. Quite a lot of it looks to me a roadies route, getting the miles done. The sort of route used by the organised sportive type events. If that was my objective I'd use it, get to the end and have that elation at having completed the challenge. I do some rides like that so it's no criticism, but there doesn't look to be many days where I'd reach the accommodation and think it was a great days cycling in it's own right. Usually I prefer a CTC sort of ride with the emphasis on the T, where the route is everything and the miles secondary. An organised CTC tour is unlikely to use so much A road.
Upthread Mick F berates those E2Eers who don't know where they are day to day, when you ride a lot of A road it doesn't really matter, so much of it looks just like so much more of it and you can't amble along side by side chatting away, often with the road to yourself.
When I did a E2E we set out with two routes, a scenic lanes and tracks route and a A/B road one. We booked every third nights accommodation, with the idea that if we got behind schedule we'd jump on the main roads to catch up on the third day, but it wouldn't matter in between. As it worked out we pretty much stayed on the lanes. But we were happy with a few 100+ mile days and were not avoiding hills. Which brings me back to where I started, horses for courses...
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

cycleruk wrote:
Barred1 wrote:Not sure what you're using to plan the route but from a quick look there's a massive amount of very cycle un-friendly main A roads (including the A30) and loads of busy bypasses around towns but going then through the centre of big cities (e.g. Bristol) . . . obviously the team must be "macho wimps"

What "lumps" (excluding Shap) in the Lake district and how would you bypass them ?

This route doesn't have much in the way of killer hills (and bear in mind you've had a week or so of riding so should be pretty fit!) . . . starting from Carnforth - pretty much hug the M6 corridor through/near to : Burton in Kendall, Milnthorpe, Killington, Lowgill, (bit of a climb here!) Tebay, Orton, Shap (not that bad, a great downhill from Shap village), Penrith and then pretty flat to Carlisle and into Scotland.

B1
Riding high!
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

PH wrote:Horses for courses and we're all different. Quite a lot of it looks to me a roadies route, getting the miles done. The sort of route used by the organised sportive type events. If that was my objective I'd use it, get to the end and have that elation at having completed the challenge. I do some rides like that so it's no criticism, but there doesn't look to be many days where I'd reach the accommodation and think it was a great days cycling in it's own right. Usually I prefer a CTC sort of ride with the emphasis on the T, where the route is everything and the miles secondary. An organised CTC tour is unlikely to use so much A road.
Upthread Mick F berates those E2Eers who don't know where they are day to day, when you ride a lot of A road it doesn't really matter, so much of it looks just like so much more of it and you can't amble along side by side chatting away, often with the road to yourself.
When I did a E2E we set out with two routes, a scenic lanes and tracks route and a A/B road one. We booked every third nights accommodation, with the idea that if we got behind schedule we'd jump on the main roads to catch up on the third day, but it wouldn't matter in between. As it worked out we pretty much stayed on the lanes. But we were happy with a few 100+ mile days and were not avoiding hills. Which brings me back to where I started, horses for courses...

The Deloitte Ride Across Britain, which is really a mutli-day sportive, is almost all main roads - as is the The Race Against Time (TRAT) charity event - given that the "minimum distance" is supposed to be 874 miles, and uses predominantly major roads it's surprising that the plot is only a few miles longer??

Undoubtedly horses for courses - the discussion on route and preferences between the potential participants could be interesting :?:

B1
Riding high!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Main roads irritate me. The constant noise and close passes. Always having to stay alert. I'd rather ride a few extra miles in peace.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Barred1 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:

This route doesn't have much in the way of killer hills (and bear in mind you've had a week or so of riding so should be pretty fit!) . . . starting from Carnforth - pretty much hug the M6 corridor through/near to : Burton in Kendall, Milnthorpe, Killington, Lowgill, (bit of a climb here!) Tebay, Orton, Shap (not that bad, a great downhill from Shap village), Penrith and then pretty flat to Carlisle and into Scotland.

B1

If I've followed that route correctly it came out as 1200m of climbing to Penrith. Going up the A6 cycle.travel makes it 1000m I'm confused as how you think it's flatter?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Paulatic wrote:
Barred1 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:

B1

If I've followed that route correctly it came out as 1200m of climbing to Penrith. Going up the A6 cycle.travel makes it 1000m I'm confused as how you think it's flatter?

You'd need to see the precise route which does weave around a bit . . . a measure of "total climbing" may be the total but has to be considered in the context of the number and length of the "slopes" that make up the total - most of them are relatively easy.

B1
Riding high!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Barred1 wrote:

You'd need to see the precise route which does weave around a bit . . . a measure of "total climbing" may be the total but has to be considered in the context of the number and length of the "slopes" that make up the total - most of them are relatively easy.

B1

I would be afraid that a lot of weaving about could easily put you off route and any extra mileage might outweigh the perceived easier climbs. Ive lost count of the number of times I've been over Shap and I can't recall ever seeing anyone off the bike and walking it.
Shap Fell from Kendal to shap

distance: 9.0 miles
height gain: 1245 ft, / 370 metres
Height altitude: 1,400 ft / 420 metres
average gradient: 3%
max gradient: 8%
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
robgul

Post by robgul »

Paulatic wrote:
Barred1 wrote:

B1

I would be afraid that a lot of weaving about could easily put you off route and any extra mileage might outweigh the perceived easier climbs. Ive lost count of the number of times I've been over Shap and I can't recall ever seeing anyone off the bike and walking it.
Shap Fell from Kendal to shap

distance: 9.0 miles
height gain: 1245 ft, / 370 metres
Height altitude: 1,400 ft / 420 metres
average gradient: 3%
max gradient: 8%

The original thrust of this thread was for an OVERALL easy-ish E2E route but it is perhaps becoming too specific?

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Paulatic wrote:I would be afraid that a lot of weaving about could easily put you off route and any extra mileage might outweigh the perceived easier climbs. Ive lost count of the number of times I've been over Shap and I can't recall ever seeing anyone off the bike and walking it.

Someone on RAB a few years ago got to Kendal, decided she couldn't face the prospect of a "a hill" and booked a taxi to take her and her bike to the summit!!
I was guiding a group through there at the time, stopped in Kendal and got a coffee. Got back on the bike, rode up Shap and caught my group about 100m before the summit. They'd had a 20 minute head start on me...

Contrary to what was stated above by Barred1, RAB actually uses a lot of little back roads although the logistics of moving that many people mean there are stretches of A-road that a smaller group or a rider with more time would certainly avoid.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I was guiding a group through there at the time, stopped in Kendal and got a coffee. Got back on the bike, rode up Shap and caught my group about 100m before the summit. They'd had a 20 minute head start on me...

And.....?