Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
John100

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by John100 »

Agree with Lilyf. 3 months bush before you feel like new(!). You may find that a sudden sneeze or coughing fit will set you back a bit just when you thought it was a lot better in the early weeks. Keep the lungs moving with some deep breathes whenever you can. Pain killers not that effective really for that type of pain. Hope it gets better quicker. You should be able to ride before the 3 month mark.
John100

Post by John100 »

3monthsish not bush!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I injured some ribs a few years ago. I'm not actually sure if I broke one or two ribs, or tore connecting tissue between them. The GP said they could only find out by xray, but the cure was the same for both :cry:

I took painkillers for a few days, but after that they just fogged my brain without helping much, so i stopped taking them.

I think I was riding on the road again after about 3 months. I did some spinning & turbo time before hand. I was able to breathe fine after about 8 weeks, but jarring from hitting bumps things was still a bit painful. So I think 3 months is a reasonable expectation.

oldmanonabike: best wishes for a speedy recovery & successful LEJoG.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

I was ok with the painkillers but they were only over the counter ones and taken when necessary. However, I had forgotten about the sudden coughing/sneezing fits and the jarring when hitting bumps! Ouch, it’s just brought it all back to me.
On the plus side, it will get you out of vacuuming and any heavy(ish) jobs for a bit :wink:
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Vorpal wrote:I injured some ribs a few years ago. I'm not actually sure if I broke one or two ribs, or tore connecting tissue between them. The GP said they could only find out by xray, but the cure was the same for both :cry:

I took painkillers for a few days, but after that they just fogged my brain without helping much, so i stopped taking them.

I think I was riding on the road again after about 3 months. I did some spinning & turbo time before hand. I was able to breathe fine after about 8 weeks, but jarring from hitting bumps things was still a bit painful. So I think 3 months is a reasonable expectation.

oldmanonabike: best wishes for a speedy recovery & successful LEJoG.

Thankyou
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It will clear up before you know it Oldman you’ll probably have to switch to plan B training.
Off roading in the Dales many years ago I too had a close encounter with the end of a 5 bar gate that was being held open for me. Day one of a two day event I barely slept that night but turned out for day two ( 35mls) Had a bit of pain for weeks after. Many years later having an X-ray the guy said you’ve had a couple of broken ribs at sometime. Have I? Said I mmmmm I think I know when that was.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Paulatic wrote:It will clear up before you know it Oldman you’ll probably have to switch to plan B training.
Off roading in the Dales many years ago I too had a close encounter with the end of a 5 bar gate that was being held open for me. Day one of a two day event I barely slept that night but turned out for day two ( 35mls) Had a bit of pain for weeks after. Many years later having an X-ray the guy said you’ve had a couple of broken ribs at sometime. Have I? Said I mmmmm I think I know when that was.

What's my plan B ?
Plan A was when at home follow John around when at caravan follow you around
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

oldmanonabike wrote:
Paulatic wrote:It will clear up before you know it Oldman you’ll probably have to switch to plan B training.

What's my plan B ?

What! No plan B.
You’ve a couple of weeks to make plan B then you can follow John around in Durham and me around in Scotland

E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Has anyone invented a cycle safety suit?
Maybe Lycra with inlatable panels and electronic sensors . If a collision is sensed the panels would inflate protecting the cyclist.
Or airbags mounted on the bike which inflate protecting both rider and bike.
Someone somewhere must have developed something along these lines
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

oldmanonabike wrote:Has anyone invented a cycle safety suit?
Maybe Lycra with inlatable panels and electronic sensors . If a collision is sensed the panels would inflate protecting the cyclist.
Or airbags mounted on the bike which inflate protecting both rider and bike.
Someone somewhere must have developed something along these lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJeKJgUNSHk
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
softlips

Post by softlips »

oldmanonabike wrote:

What's my plan B ?

:)

You should be fine in 6 weeks or so.
sbcoombs

Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by sbcoombs »

I had full body armour on when I did my shoulder Ken. Sometimes we’re just unlucky. I’ve done ribs a couple of times and life is tough for s couple of weeks but if you can stay away from sneezing, coughing and laughing, you can hopefully start some gentle exercise in a couple of weeks.
You might need to get acquainted with a turbo trainer for a while as I doubt you will be keen on bumpy roads.
Take it easy and let your body guide you. It can feel like forever but you’ll know when you’re ready to start training again.
Just remember you need to push me up those hills do you need to be ready [emoji6]
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Here’s some advice on how to fall off......http://blog.mapmyrun.com/fall-off-bike- ... c:18391255 and not get hurt :shock:

E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mmmm - interesting link. I can't quite visualise some of the moves, though. E.g. "For over-the-handlebar falls, use your arms to protect your face as you tuck and roll. Keep your chin tucked and try to roll over your shoulders." Which part of the arms - how do you fold them - what do you do with your hands? An animation would be helpful.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

sbcoombs wrote:I had full body armour on when I did my shoulder Ken. Sometimes we’re just unlucky. I’ve done ribs a couple of times and life is tough for s couple of weeks but if you can stay away from sneezing, coughing and laughing, you can hopefully start some gentle exercise in a couple of weeks.
You might need to get acquainted with a turbo trainer for a while as I doubt you will be keen on bumpy roads.
Take it easy and let your body guide you. It can feel like forever but you’ll know when you’re ready to start training again.
Just remember you need to push me up those hills do you need to be ready

At the moment the pain from the shoulder and top of my back is giving me more problems than the ribs. It's when I try to stand up or sit done or get into or out of bed that's the worst.
I've developed bruises in places I didn't know I'd hurt.
Thinks are looking up though my daughter has just brought me a bottle of ginger wine and a bottle of whisky.
Soon I won't be able to feel any pain.
I think I'm turning into a real Wimp.
You seem a little confused it's not me pushing up the hills it's you pulling :D