Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
landsurfer

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by landsurfer »

As previously discussed i think it will be more likely be early starters and late starters than fast and slow.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Wimps bikes.
Bearing in mind that we have the luxury of full backup what bike are you riding for Lejog?
I bought a planetx RTD80 frameset the D is for disc very good for arthritic hands ,and transferred all the running gear from my slightly too large Giant Defy and a few bits from my son in laws bike when he went to Di2
So I have a carbon frame with Shimano 11speed groupset except I have replaced the front cable operated brake wit a hydraulic one.
I've also fitted a roadlink to the rear mech this allows me to fit an 11 speed 11-40 tooth cassette for a wide range of gears
The only downside is the front fork only takes a 25mm tyre which makes the bike less comfortable than my alloy Synapse which has 28mm tyres.
I'm very interested in what the other wimps are riding so please post
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
John100

Post by John100 »

If I can solve a saddle soreness problem a Trek 1.2 Alpha. A bit old bit light.
KFT

Post by KFT »

I'm taking a recently rebuilt Condor Fratello, running Shimano 11 speed with an 11-32 rear cassette and a 28-46. i'll be taking guards for the odd rainy day to keep road spray off any unfortunate soul that might be behind me - if the weathers going to be decent for a few days they can come off.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ll be riding my Trek Domane 10 Spd compact with 11-32. Just put a new BB in the other day and going recable it tomorrow hopefully.
I’ve been running 25mm front and 28mm back over the winter. Put my summer wheels on the other day and returned to 25 25. Will be interesting to see if I’ve returned to 28 on the rear before the off.
It’ll be wearing a wee bag at the back carrying tubes/ tools and a bar bag up front for easy access to food :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

John100 wrote:If I can solve a saddle soreness problem a Trek 1.2 Alpha. A bit old bit light.

I'm having a saddle problem and have just fitted an SMP Well as recommended by Paulatic only done a short ride so I can't comment yet
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
John100

Post by John100 »

Let me know Ken. I get to 16 miles and then I'm up and down on the seat!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I hesitate to recommend any saddle as they are all personal.
I’ve switched to SMP on my two road bikes using the Well saddle and the Hybrid. I can’t make my mind up which I prefer. What I like about them is the large cooling gap and somewhere for your bits to go when on the drops. You’ve to get used to your Ischiopubic ramus being cupped and not just sitting on your sit bones. Steve Hogg explains https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... smp-seats/

E2E info
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have Selle Basso saddles on all my bikes ... £14.99 from Decathlon. I have replaced Brooks and SPA Nidd saddles with them and they are very comfy for my large ( fat ) frame. ... :lol:
Last edited by landsurfer on 15 May 2018, 10:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I might be paranoid, and...
Does it seen that there are suddenly lots of people doing Lejog in the next few months asking for route info?
The amount of effort that was other put into our route makes me wonder if we should be charging for guidance ...!?
4.5 day Lejog, 10 day Lejog ... But can't sort a route out !
Hmmmm ... :mrgreen:
Be more Mike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

:idea: Who has got the copyright for the book? "Wimps do LEJOG" and of course the follow up film.

E2E info
denniswpearce

Post by denniswpearce »

Have just read most of your posts regarding saddle soreness. I did Lejog back in 2016, never completed it due to a kidney stone when I got to Crianlarich in Scotland.
However, I tried many saddles before the ride as I suffered and still do with my sit bones becoming very painful after I get to 25 miles and beyond. We were doing between 65 and 85 miles per day, so the last 50 miles was extremely painful everyday. I was continuously changing position on the bike and stopping to ease the pain. But I persevered in the belief I could finish until my kidney stone intervened.
I remember vividly on one day when we arrived at Telford at the end of the days ride I had to sit on a cushion as sitting on a hard chair was too painful.
Two years on, I still feel the same pain after 25 miles on the bike.

Hope you guys resolve your saddle soreness and good luck for your ride.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am curious, are you thin / slim and oldish, also was it a leather saddle?
Overweight could also explain, that's similar to extreme riding of course.........like a heavy rucksack ouch.
On the turbo it can be uncomfortable after an hour , feels like a day, sweat and heat and lack of ventilation along with not reacting to bumps, also bum not leaving saddle, and continuous effort which is not normal real riding.
And off road I once stopped with pain after less than a mile (my saddle is good for 300 miles ((continuous ride)) with little fatigue normally) Rucksack did not help but normally ok, put it down to track strewn with rocks.
Much is said about higher bars on bikes but puts more weight on bum, so I always find this counter intuitive along with bad ergonomics.......vicious circle...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

I am riding a 2018 Dawes Karakum with Charge Pure saddle......a bit heavier than some of the bikes being used but great for me. Getting used to the butterfly bars.....many hand positions.
Unfortunately I am using toe clips as an old injury prevents me from using cleats.....and I tend to fall off more with them!

IF anyone wants to borrow a Brooks B17 saddle for the trip I have a spare I can bring with me
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Nickeveson wrote:I am riding a 2018 Dawes Karakum with Charge Pure saddle......a bit heavier than some of the bikes being used but great for me. Getting used to the butterfly bars.....many hand positions.
Unfortunately I am using toe clips as an old injury prevents me from using cleats.....and I tend to fall off more with them!

IF anyone wants to borrow a Brooks B17 saddle for the trip I have a spare I can bring with me

Having used toe clips all my life, they should be loose enough that your feet fall out easily, straps should not be tight, just enough to slip one to two fingers between straps and shoe.
When I last rode with someone they said you will have to wait a second or so when we pull away so I can clip in.

It all depends on shoes and pedal you use how difficulty clips can be, but as to being harder to use / problematic with pulling feet out, I am confused on this?
As I said I have been using clips for 45 years, don't find the thought of clippless (many discussion's on both types regularly here) any advantage apart from being modern and mostly used, aesthetics' yes, technical advantage none.

Good luck with the ride :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.