Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
flash

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by flash »

I will be mainly be using a compass and following others......
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:I will be mainly be using a compass and following others......

I can't get away with them . The top of the map is north but the compass never points there
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm currently at our place in Redruth for the weekend.
My plan is to ride the plotaroute to Lands End in the morning ... the fair Jules will meet me there. Then on Sunday ride from Redruth to Tintagel to get a feel for the first day .... and get some miles in my legs as i have my first sportive of the year on the 2nd April ... Paul Kirk Memorial in North Lincs.
Jules will meet me at Tintagel and then back to sunny Rotherham.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:I'm currently at our place in Redruth for the weekend.
My plan is to ride the plotaroute to Lands End in the morning ... the fair Jules will meet me there. Then on Sunday ride from Redruth to Tintagel to get a feel for the first day .... and get some miles in my legs as i have my first sportive of the year on the 2nd April ... Paul Kirk Memorial in North Lincs.

I have the other Days planned if you want to continue your ride back home :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

More likely sleep all the way to rotherham ...lol
Be more Mike.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

My plan is to ride the plotaroute to Lands End in the morning ... the fair Jules will meet me there. Then on Sunday ride from Redruth to Tintagel to get a feel for the first day ....

Take some chalk :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My plan is to ride the plotaroute to Lands End in the morning ... the fair Jules will meet me there. Then on Sunday ride from Redruth to Tintagel to get a feel for the first day.
Good luck with the ride!

The weather down here has been horrible the past week or more, but tomorrow and Sunday + Monday are forecast to be wonderful. I'll be glad to see the back of the cold northerlies and easterlies.
We had a short period of strong westerlies, but it was still cold.

I plan on a ride tomorrow, which is unusual for me riding on a weekend. It's been so awful and cold and wet and windy, that I've not been out for a good ride for a week or more.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:
My plan is to ride the plotaroute to Lands End in the morning ... the fair Jules will meet me there. Then on Sunday ride from Redruth to Tintagel to get a feel for the first day.
Good luck with the ride!

The weather down here has been horrible the past week or more, but tomorrow and Sunday + Monday are forecast to be wonderful. I'll be glad to see the back of the cold northerlies and easterlies.

I plan on a ride tomorrow, which is unusual for me riding on a weekend. It's been so awful and cold and wet and windy, that I've not been out for a good ride for a week or more.

Don't I know it :) I've come South to experience an earlier spring to Scotland. First week in Delamere was wonderful last week in Forest of Dean nothing but strong cold winds. Didn't cycle once :( roads were just as responsible as the weather. I'd hate to live there.
Cheddar this week hoping to get along the Strawberry line tomorrow.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Good luck with the ride!

Don't I know it :) I've come South to experience an earlier spring to Scotland. First week in Delamere was wonderful last week in Forest of Dean nothing but strong cold winds. Didn't cycle once :( roads were just as responsible as the weather. I'd hate to live there.
Well Paulatic if you want to experience the southern experience at a more civilised time of the year just pm me and in June 2018 you can do it all in a couple of weeks.meanwhile I'm off to ecclefechan for a few days on Monday
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

oldmanonabike wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
Mick F wrote:Good luck with the ride!

Well Paulatic if you want to experience the southern experience at a more civilised time of the year just pm me and in June 2018 you can do it all in a couple of weeks.meanwhile I'm off to ecclefechan for a few days on Monday

I'm moving to Bridport Dorset next week and hope to get along to LE.
I've had my eyes opened as regards traffic down this part of the world. Back in D&G any B road and some A roads is a quiet cycling route. Areas I've been recently a B road can be damn right lethal! Going to have to choose my route with great care I'm just not used to this volume of traffic.

E2E info
sbcoombs

Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by sbcoombs »

I'll be using my Garmin 810 with maps. I've got an old Garmin 705 with mapping that I'll bring as a backup.
I'm on Strava as well as I track all of my training.
Last edited by sbcoombs on 24 Mar 2017, 11:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote:I'm moving to Bridport Dorset next week and hope to get along to LE.
I've had my eyes opened as regards traffic down this part of the world.
Main issue Bridport etc is that it's the south coast. It's busy all the way to LE if you follow it.
Even getting out of Bridport is problematical unless you head north.

Maybe head northwest into the Blackdown hills, then west, then cross the M5 corridor to join up with the standard route to LE.
Bickleigh/Rob's Passage/Crediton/Copplestone/Okehampton/Old A30/Launceston/Egloskerry/Hallworthy/Camelford/Wadebridge/St Colmb Major/St Newlyn East/Redruth/Camborne/Hayle/Penzance/LE

I once considered riding LE to Dover, but decided it just wasn't worth the effort.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Wonderful ride to LE this morning ..... East wind, so tail wind all the way ... 3.5 hours of nice roads and took the St Just diversion to avoid traffic but Jules said the A30 was very quiet after Penzance .....
Just hope the prevailing wind applies when we are cycling !!!
Be more Mike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I'm moving to Bridport Dorset next week and hope to get along to LE.
I've had my eyes opened as regards traffic down this part of the world.
Main issue Bridport etc is that it's the south coast. It's busy all the way to LE if you follow it.
Even getting out of Bridport is problematical unless you head north.

Maybe head northwest into the Blackdown hills, then west, then cross the M5 corridor to join up with the standard route to LE.
Bickleigh/Rob's Passage/Crediton/Copplestone/Okehampton/Old A30/Launceston/Egloskerry/Hallworthy/Camelford/Wadebridge/St Colmb Major/St Newlyn East/Redruth/Camborne/Hayle/Penzance/LE

I once considered riding LE to Dover, but decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

Thanks for that Mick. Local knowledge is than my interpretation of a map.

E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:Wonderful ride to LE this morning ..... East wind, so tail wind all the way ... 3.5 hours of nice roads and took the St Just diversion to avoid traffic but Jules said the A30 was very quiet after Penzance .....
Just hope the prevailing wind applies when we are cycling !!!

I've got someone working on that lol