Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
John100

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by John100 »

Interesting discussion folks. I've rejoined strava having been a member in the past, when I didn't really use it - my days of being competitive are over! I'm just glad I can still push pedals round! I joined it via Facebook and it has given me a completely different name than my own. Anyone more IT savvy know why this is?
I can't make the 9th July as I am abroad. 80 miles a day doesn't sound wimpish to me as someone else has said. My original thoughts were to do it at about 50 miles a day but I know that would take the best part of three weeks. I hadn't realised the instigator of this thread had withdrawn - why was that does anybody know?
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

hughwill69 started the search for an easier lejog route he was looking for a leisurely quiet route spread over a few weeks. Landsurfer and myself took an active interest in this idea but is soon became clear that most of those interested could only get limited time off work to take part. We have with a lot of work by cycleruk and others, found a route that avoids hills and reduces mileage wherever possible and that's where the wimps bit comes in. Having broadly defined the route work is continuing to refine it by reducing time on busy A routes without introducing to much extra mileage or hills. It should be said that there have been many route contributions from other forum users and the wimps themselves so
I like to think of it as an open route with all comments welcome
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
KFT

Post by KFT »

i've been looking at alternatives to Enneywevers in Bristol and have come up with a possible alternative - Oaklands Camping at Chelvey on the south side of Bristol. It takes tents and motor homes, only issue is at the moment there are no showers.
If we wanted to use this site I have looked at daily mileages and come up with alternative sites to get us to Bolton Le Sands at the end of day 6.

Day 2 - Camelford to Nomansland 57 miles 4200 foot climbing (Minnows Touring Park)
Day 3 - Nomansland - Chelvey - 68 miles 2800 foot climbing (Oaklands Camping)
Day 4 - Chelvey - Leominster - 84 miles 3600 foot climbing (Barrons Cross Inn)
Day 5 - Leominster - Delamere Forest - 78 miles 3100 foot climbing (Fishpool Farm Caravan Park)
Day 6 - Delamere Forest - Bolton Le Sands - 72 miles 2100 foot climbing (Red Bank Farm)

All sites take both motorhomes and tents
flash

Post by flash »

Looks good, although I'd be tempted to ride on and sleep in my own bed that night and catch you up in the morning. What route are you proposing for the Chelvey - Leominster stint???
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

I really appreciate the work in making this happen. I can't add much at the moment but I might give payback leading the train into any headwinds.
8th July is currently good for me, with Birmingham not too far away.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I'm sorry to upset the apple cart . There are more people available on the original third sat of July so I am changing the date back to the 15th. My apologies to those that can't make it.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

sbcoombs wrote:I really appreciate the work in making this happen. I can't add much at the moment but I might give payback leading the train into any headwinds.
8th July is currently good for me, with Birmingham not too far away.

It's a composting toilet -> my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

I did some experiments with rope and hooks so that I could be towed up the hills
On reflection I shouldn't have used bungee cord :oops:
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:Looks good, although I'd be tempted to ride on and sleep in my own bed that night and catch you up in the morning. What route are you proposing for the Chelvey - Leominster stint???

If you can propose a route it would be great to see it I don't know that area at all :)
KFT

Post by KFT »

At the moment I have broadly followed the original route - so north of Bristol, A38 to Gloucester and then onto the A417 / A49 to Leominster.
flash

Post by flash »

The A38 from Bristol is pretty grim. Fast road which cars pass by too close, can I suggest looking at going over the origional Severn bridge then up via Monmouth. There are some hills but it has cracking views.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

flash wrote:The A38 from Bristol is pretty grim. Fast road which cars pass by too close, can I suggest looking at going over the origional Severn bridge then up via Monmouth. There are some hills but it has cracking views.....
I don't agree.

A38 north of Bristol is fine by me.
Severn Bridge and up the Wye Valley is fine, but hilly, and a bit busy too ............. though pretty.
Easiest ride (for wimps) is up via Gloucester as it's MUCH flatter and MUCH quicker.

If I were to ride End2End again, it would be via Gloucester .............. like it was the last time, and the last couple of times I rode Up North and back.
Mick F. Cornwall
flash

Post by flash »

Living in Bristol I've ridden both a reasonable number of times. I know which I prefer....:)
robgul

Post by robgul »

Mick F wrote:
flash wrote:The A38 from Bristol is pretty grim. Fast road which cars pass by too close, can I suggest looking at going over the origional Severn bridge then up via Monmouth. There are some hills but it has cracking views.....
I don't agree.

A38 north of Bristol is fine by me.
Severn Bridge and up the Wye Valley is fine, but hilly, and a bit busy too ............. though pretty.
Easiest ride (for wimps) is up via Gloucester as it's MUCH flatter and MUCH quicker.

If I were to ride End2End again, it would be via Gloucester .............. like it was the last time, and the last couple of times I rode Up North and back.

Have to say I'd agree with Mick on the A38 from Bristol to Gloucester - I've ridden it on my JOGLE and most of it loads of times on other rides - wide and some IIRC has cycle lanes. The one risk is that if there's a prang on the M5 and they close it then the traffic is heavy.

I rode LEJOG going from Clevedon and over the old Severn Bridge and then from Chepstow to Huntley and onwards to Bromyard. Clevedon to the bridge was awful with industrial stuff and it was then quite lumpy.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PH

Post by PH »

I'll ride on the A38 and many of the other minor A roads if I need to get somewhere, but they'll never be my idea of fun.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree with you, PH, but sometimes you need to use these roads to keep you headed in the right direction and in an efficient way.
It would be great to do an End2End just on minor quiet lanes, but you'll be slower overall, and you'll climb far more hills.

I think the ideal would be to mix and match.
Mick F. Cornwall