Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rareposter
Posts: 129
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 2:40pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby rareposter » 8 Feb 2017, 11:05am

And nothing - that was presumably why the woman decided to get a taxi. Sorry, just setting the scene.

Day 5 is the one that catches a lot of people out. Day 1 and 2 are tough, through Cornwall and Devon and the Mendips but 3 and 4 are relatively easy up through the flattish roads along the Welsh/English border. Day 5 starts off OIK and then sudfdenly, after 2.5 days of flat, you hit Shap. Suddenly wakes the legs up a bit!

Nice climb though, pretty steady and some good views.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4300
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Paulatic » 8 Feb 2017, 11:31am

rareposter wrote:And nothing - that was presumably why the woman decided to get a taxi. Sorry, just setting the scene.

Day 5 is the one that catches a lot of people out. Day 1 and 2 are tough, through Cornwall and Devon and the Mendips but 3 and 4 are relatively easy up through the flattish roads along the Welsh/English border. Day 5 starts off OIK and then sudfdenly, after 2.5 days of flat, you hit Shap. Suddenly wakes the legs up a bit!

Nice climb though, pretty steady and some good views.


"Day 5" ............?
That's often my open gambit especially to cyclists on JOGLE. As I catch up to them and you usually see lots of shuffling on the saddle :D I pull alongside and say Day5?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5222
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby cycleruk » 8 Feb 2017, 1:13pm

Shap is about 9 miles climbing (Just north of Kendal to the summit) with an average 3% but goes a bit steeper near the top.
It is one of the highlights of E2E :wink:
http://s3.veloviewer.com/3d/s4030140.png

Confucius' he say - It's only a hill, get over it. :mrgreen:
Select low gear and sit in.
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

hughwill69
Posts: 32
Joined: 2 Feb 2013, 1:38pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby hughwill69 » 10 Feb 2017, 3:42pm

I'm glad that I've prompted a Wimple Jog movement. As some have said its moved away from the original a bit. In the first post I was wondering how many would go for a supported ride with minimal hills, moderate mileages and maximum comfort (here I mean Travelodges and the like- not the Ritz) along the way.

A few new points have struck me: We MTMAMILS (more than middle aged men in lycra) often have a few bob to spare. Look at some of the bikes- no shortage of impressive carbon with Ultegra or better groupsets. So I guess that there might be a fair number that would pay more than usual for the right deal.

Incidentally, I would never want to ride a journey without knowing exactly where I was, but then I'm a glutton for looking for the best routes and using Bikehike etc. And I would not want to ride too far along busy A roads- but for me if they're wide and mainly straight they can be less unpleasant than long detours on unnecessarily undulating poorly-surfaced side roads (sadly this is what I've found many Cycle Routes to be like). Narrow, bendy and busy roads are what I really don't like, whether A B or unclassified.

I'm thinking of doing a 6 day starter run from LE to near Bishops Castle. A draft route can (I hope) be see from the link below. Any comments on how sufficient the wimp factor is?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1443576679/

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4300
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Paulatic » 10 Feb 2017, 4:17pm

That link took me to your profile page.
I couldn't find your route.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 10 Feb 2017, 6:03pm

It is a great shame that the starter of the movement isn't riding the wimps lejog but I'm sure you will be pleased that ten other cyclists of mixed ages and locations were prompted by your post to register an interest to give it a go.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

hughwill69
Posts: 32
Joined: 2 Feb 2013, 1:38pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby hughwill69 » 10 Feb 2017, 11:21pm

Paulatic wrote:That link took me to your profile page.
I couldn't find your route.

Thanks for posting. I think I've made it public now. Let me know if there's still a problem.


Hugh

P.S. I am delighted that others have taken up the cause. See you on the road perhaps...

Robroadie
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Jan 2017, 5:06pm

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Robroadie » 24 Feb 2017, 9:54am

Have you had a look at the 'LEJOG on the National Cycle Network' published by SUSTRANS. The route was researched & ridden by a chap called Rob Richardson. i might contact SUSTRANS & see if i can get hold of Mr Richardson, to ask him about the hilly parts of the route, some of which im sure are inevitable because as the guide states in its intro on page 4: 'this route has been created . . . (paraphrase) . . . on greenways, quiet lanes & country roads while taking in some of the most beautiful landscapes, historic monuments' . . . etc

I've yet to complete LEJOG myself & im planning on going in June if all other planning & fundraising are on track this year but it seems to me that some hill climbing will be be inevitable so its a bit of an un-crackable nut !

i think alot of the challenge is taken up in our mind, so the way im gonna takle the hills is to say to myself 'well i've never ridden this hill before & so i will take it on like a little challenge in itself. Besides, its an inherent part of my route & it makes my journey MORE not less rewarding because my challenge is that little bit greater' Obviously one has to pace one's self & be sensible, going slow & steady if necessary, stopping if needs be.

The nice thing about the guide for me doing LEJOG for the first time is that its got the route in one handy pocket guide & it brakes the route into five sections with a profile map cross section showing height in metres over distance across that part of the route. You could always take your own variation where you want to.

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2916
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby robgul » 24 Feb 2017, 2:43pm

Robroadie wrote:Have you had a look at the 'LEJOG on the National Cycle Network' published by SUSTRANS. The route was researched & ridden by a chap called Rob Richardson. i might contact SUSTRANS & see if i can get hold of Mr Richardson, to ask him about the hilly parts of the route, some of which im sure are inevitable because as the guide states in its intro on page 4: 'this route has been created . . . (paraphrase) . . . on greenways, quiet lanes & country roads while taking in some of the most beautiful landscapes, historic monuments' . . . etc

I've yet to complete LEJOG myself & im planning on going in June if all other planning & fundraising are on track this year but it seems to me that some hill climbing will be be inevitable so its a bit of an un-crackable nut !

i think alot of the challenge is taken up in our mind, so the way im gonna takle the hills is to say to myself 'well i've never ridden this hill before & so i will take it on like a little challenge in itself. Besides, its an inherent part of my route & it makes my journey MORE not less rewarding because my challenge is that little bit greater' Obviously one has to pace one's self & be sensible, going slow & steady if necessary, stopping if needs be.

The nice thing about the guide for me doing LEJOG for the first time is that its got the route in one handy pocket guide & it brakes the route into five sections with a profile map cross section showing height in metres over distance across that part of the route. You could always take your own variation where you want to.


There's not a lot new under the sun - in 2006 a chap called Simon Berry attempted to ride LEJOG using (almost) only Sustrans routes . . . he found that the poor surfaces, endless gates and illogical tortuous diversions slowed him to the point that he was so far behind schedule by about a third of the way he had to abandon the idea and continue with a non-Sustrans route. He was riding a Moulton - there's some stuff about him and a link here http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=61

I would be interested to see how the suggested Sustrans route looks.

Rob

Richard Fairhurst
Posts: 1424
Joined: 2 Mar 2008, 4:57pm
Location: Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 24 Feb 2017, 2:59pm

Very roughly: Land's End, Truro, Bodmin, Bude, Barnstaple, Dulverton, Glastonbury, Bristol, Gloucester, Worcester, Bridgnorth, Nantwich, Manchester, Whalley, Borwick, Penrith, Gretna, Abington, Glasgow, Balloch, Callander, Killin, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness, Lairg, Tongue, Thurso, John O'Groats. 28 stages, 1200 miles in all.

I've only skimmed the book so far. It looks pretty enjoyable in an unhurried way, though there are a few sections where I'd make a different route choice.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2916
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby robgul » 24 Feb 2017, 3:08pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Very roughly: Land's End, Truro, Bodmin, Bude, Barnstaple, Dulverton, Glastonbury, Bristol, Gloucester, Worcester, Bridgnorth, Nantwich, Manchester, Whalley, Borwick, Penrith, Gretna, Abington, Glasgow, Balloch, Callander, Killin, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness, Lairg, Tongue, Thurso, John O'Groats. 28 stages, 1200 miles in all.

I've only skimmed the book so far. It looks pretty enjoyable in an unhurried way, though there are a few sections where I'd make a different route choice.


Hmm - given that the average (from cycle-endtoend.org.uk my website Journals and stats) is about 950-975 that's a lot of extra miles! - the other question, perhaps covered in the book, is the type of bike that would be appropriate for the tracks etc.

Richard Fairhurst
Posts: 1424
Joined: 2 Mar 2008, 4:57pm
Location: Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 24 Feb 2017, 3:23pm

It says "All-terrain bikes, touring bikes and hybrid bikes will manage just fine. We have tested the route using a road bike equipped with Continental Gatorskin 28mm tyres and completed all stages puncture-free. We would not recommend using a lightweight racing/road bike."

I think that's the key - it's not meant as a guide for all-comers on fast bikes, but for those who like to take things in a leisurely fashion. Though there's at least one bit of the route where right now I wouldn't recommend anything less than an MTB...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

sbcoombs
Posts: 170
Joined: 24 Dec 2015, 8:21pm

Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby sbcoombs » 24 Feb 2017, 7:51pm

I am looking for a challenge to celebrate turning 50 next year. I have been lurking on here for a while getting ideas. I would be keen to have more details on this ride as it sounds just what I want.
I've done 5 days touring the alps so not afraid of hills but was blown away by the scenery. 12 days sounds about right for length of time while still giving time to take in the views.
I just need to ensure I can get the dates free from work.

oldmanonabike
Posts: 1072
Joined: 29 Oct 2012, 10:30pm
Location: Durham

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby oldmanonabike » 24 Feb 2017, 10:20pm

sbcoombs wrote:I am looking for a challenge to celebrate turning 50 next year. I have been lurking on here for a while getting ideas. I would be keen to have more details on this ride as it sounds just what I want.
I've done 5 days touring the alps so not afraid of hills but was blown away by the scenery. 12 days sounds about right for length of time while still giving time to take in the views.
I just need to ensure I can get the dates free from work.

You have PM
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience

sbcoombs
Posts: 170
Joined: 24 Dec 2015, 8:21pm

Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Postby sbcoombs » 25 Feb 2017, 9:37pm

PM responded thanks.