YHA Lejog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
robing

YHA Lejog

Post by robing »

Thinking of doing LEJOG again this year (or JOGLE). Was wondering about staying at yhas as much as possible.
Is this feasible? Have many closed on the route?
heatonrider

Re: YHA Lejog

Post by heatonrider »

it depends on your route .... we used St Just. the Eden Project, Oakehampton then some SYHAs e.g. Arran and then independents such as Tongue and one at St Augustus (Morags .. would not recommend ... full of Chinese and Aussies making lots of noise ...). I think it would be hard to do the whole thing with YHAs - there was a gap beyond Bristol. You could try Warm Showers website too. but it depends on your route and how you split your legs. Also time of year .. e.g. Street Hostel closed for the season the day before we arrived ...
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

CTC used to have a hostel route in their E2E pack. We used it as a basis for a LEJOG in 2010. We also made use of independents and friends and family but we could have used hostels all the way if needed. As far as I know Carbisdale Castle is the only hostel that we used that has since closed.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I did Lejog three times with Chris Ellison, the CTC one. There were several Hostels initially but he's pared them down to nearly nothing now. Doing it again in Sept for 4th time.

The hostels aren't that cheap and in comparison to the likes of the Premier Inns or small hotels en route, are quite inferior. The two real gripes are the sheer lack or room and the indifferent grub in some of them.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I did Lejog three times with Chris Ellison, the CTC one. There were several Hostels initially but he's pared them down to nearly nothing now. Doing it again in Sept for 4th time.

The hostels aren't that cheap and in comparison to the likes of the Premier Inns or small hotels en route, are quite inferior. The two real gripes are the sheer lack or room and the indifferent grub in some of them.

I would offer the Wayfarers Hostel in Penrith as an exception to your view. I've been using it for years now and never disappointed. First class cycle parking too.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

I did LEJOG back in 2007 using predominantly YHA/SYHA along the route. For your info, here was my route with places to stay

Day 0 - Land's End YHA - Still open
Day 1 - Golant YHA - Now closed but there's an Eden project one nearish
Day 2 - Moretonhampstead independant hostel http://www.sparrowhawkbackpackers.co.uk/
Day 3 - Street YHA - Still open
Day 4 - Welsh Bicknor YHA - Now called YHA Wye Valley and open
Day 5 - Clun Mill YHA - Still open
Day 6 - Chester. I stayed with family but there used to be a YHA there. Just checked, no longer there but plenty of cheap hotels or independent hostels
Day 7 - Slaidburn YHA - Still open
Day 8 - Carlisle. Again, I stayed with family but prob enough choice in this city/surrounding area
Day 9 - Wanlockhead - Was an independent youth hostel called Lotus Lodge but can see this is now a self catering cottage. Quick google shows some B&Bs there
Day 10 - Lock Lomond SYHA. NOw closed but plenty of accomodation in the town
Day 11 - Glencoe SYHA - Still open
Day 12 - Loch Ness SYHA - No longer SYHA but still a hostel called The Lochside Hostel
Day 13 - Carbisdale Castle - No hostel here but I stayed in a cheap B&B. Plenty to choose from
Day 14 - Tongue SYHA - No longer SYHA but still a hostel called Tongue hostel and holiday park

At the end of Day 14 I was treated by my family to a nice hotel and slap up meal in Thurso!

Hope this helps
Dafydd
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

dgibby wrote:I did LEJOG back in 2007 using predominantly YHA/SYHA along the route. For your info, here was my route with places to stay

Day 2 - Moretonhampstead independant hostel http://www.sparrowhawkbackpackers.co.uk/
Day 6 - Chester. I stayed with family but there used to be a YHA there. Just checked, no longer there but plenty of cheap hotels or independent hostels
Day 8 - Carlisle. Again, I stayed with family but prob enough choice in this city/surrounding area
Day 9 - Wanlockhead - Was an independent youth hostel called Lotus Lodge but can see this is now a self catering cottage. Quick google shows some B&Bs there
Day 12 - Loch Ness SYHA - No longer SYHA but still a hostel called The Lochside Hostel
Day 13 - Carbisdale Castle - No hostel here but I stayed in a cheap B&B. Plenty to choose from
Day 14 - Tongue SYHA - No longer SYHA but still a hostel called Tongue hostel and holiday park

At the end of Day 14 I was treated by my family to a nice hotel and slap up meal in Thurso!

Hope this helps
Dafydd

I would think it a blessing to cut out going up to Wanlockhead.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

http://www.greatglenhostel.com/
Try the great glen hostel at Laggan , between loch lochy and loch Oich
Well stocked shop. You can buy a couple slices of bread for toast etc good kitchen and dining room .

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
robing

Post by robing »

dgibby wrote:I did LEJOG back in 2007 using predominantly YHA/SYHA along the route. For your info, here was my route with places to stay

Day 14 - Tongue SYHA - Noh longer SYHA but still a hostel called Tongue hostel and holiday park

Hope this helps
Dafydd

Thanks for this, that's great!
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Paulatic wrote:

Hope this helps
Dafydd

I would think it a blessing to cut out going up to Wanlockhead.

Yes - you're right! very strange place and a real slog to get up there. Would avoid next time
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

When hubby did LEJOG almost 21 years ago, with his mate, they cycled up to Wanlockhead YHA from Carrock Fell in pouring rain.
After knocking the, very unhelpful, warden came to the door and said "I'm having my tea, can you come back later".
Needless to say hubby and mate turned round and left - never to return!!!
They then cycled to Leadhills and received a very warm welcome at The Hopetoun Arms.
loafer

Post by loafer »

stayed at wanlockhead on my first LELOG back in 1995 my 40th ..I had I great time though it is a bit of a drag up to get there :lol:

matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

When I passed through, the world gold panning championship was being held.
TV crews from all over the world were there.
And I thought they were there for moi!
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.