2nd leg......finally

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
helenheart

2nd leg......finally

Post by helenheart »

So - I completed LE to Manchester 2(!) years ago and am now ready for M/CR to JoG.
Full disclosure....my mama has since moved to Wigan, so it'll be Wigan to JoG, with no compulsion whatsoever to ride the M/CR to Wigan section.
With full thanks to this forum, I will be going in Sept, yes, I know it's a crapshoot. Will not be cycling thru Glas or Edin but ferrying thru the the isles to the West. Will be sleeping in the train carriages in Rogart, lunching at Crask Inn and luxuriating on the Caledonia Sleeper on the way home. thanks for all the imput - what an enjoyable resource this is.
With that route in mind - does anyone have any great stories to tell, or tales of caution to share or pearls of wisdom to throw this way.
Love
Helen xo
cycleruk

Re: 2nd leg......finally

Post by cycleruk »

Let us know how you get on. The good, the bad and the pretty. :)

I have stayed in the carriages at Rogart but there are a couple of other options. Romany Caravan being one. The pub up the road does brilliant evening meals and I would advise booking if you decide to eat there.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Hey Cycleruk! I've looked online and cannot pinpoint Romany Caravan. Can you be more specific? And the pub? Is it in Rogart?
Cheers
Helen

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Very sorry, it's not a Romany but a "Showmans" caravan.
Memory playing up again. :oops:
http://www.sleeperzzz.com/dalmore.html

The "Pittantrail Inn" is up to the A839 turn right and 50mts on the left. (Opposite the shop.)
They don't appear to have a website but there are Tripadvisor reviews.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+P ... 3452?hl=en

I have been a couple of times now.
The "Sleeperzz" carriages are a bit basic. A carriage 'compartment' has bunk beds on one side and an original bench seat on the other.
Each carriage has a kitchen, shower & "lounge".
You'll never know if you don't try it.