NCN 7 Perth/Inverness 2017 condition?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
bikeandbeer

NCN 7 Perth/Inverness 2017 condition?

Post by bikeandbeer »

Hello all - 1st post and soon to do 1st LEJOG. Bike, strategy and route all sorted - Steel tourer, 28c semislicks,lightish camping rear pannier load,B roads and a few extra miles rather than mixing it with heavy A road traffic, ie. no great rush. On the basis of this strategy can anyone update me on the 2017 condition of the alternative paths and "old" A9 between Perth/Inverness. While I don"t mind, and expect, to have a bit more climbing than the main A9 ,not being in a great rush doesn"t mean I want to be mending multiple punctures and broken spokes due to debris and significantly poor surfaces. Thanx in anticipation of any replies.
sultzer

Re: NCN 7 Perth/Inverness 2017 condition?

Post by sultzer »

i did that section in 2015 , with 700 x 32 tyres with fully laden panniers with no punctures , surface is not bad , nearer the road there is a bit of debris now and again , but it dips downa bit if you go to
http://www.dundeebikeclub.uk/
you will see pics of it on there for surface
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've used it a few times, but the last time was in 2010, so my knowledge is old knowledge.
However, if I were to End2End it again, I'd use it without a second thought.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I rode South from Inverness to Weymouth in November 2016. Followed your proposed route and all was fine.

Bike was a Specialized Crosstrail with 700 x 35 tyres and cheap front suspension but I would have been just as happy to have ridden the route on an Audax style set up.

Enjoy your trip,

all the best, Simon
painter

Post by painter »

Hi Simon . If you go on to YouTube and type in national cycle route 7 Scotland you will be able to see all the sections there .