Diary / mapping tools

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
davidjones

Diary / mapping tools

Post by davidjones »

Hi all, longtime lurker here!

So, after several years of thinking about it, my brother and I are going to complete LEJOG at last this year. We've got most of our route sorted now thanks in part to everyone on this forum, but with a few weird detours to satisfy our own curiosity!

We'd like to chronicle the route in an online diary (blog I guess?). Does anyone have any suggestions on which tools would be best for this?

If this year is a success, we quite fancy tackling other long distance rides in future, so it'd be great to find something which could handle that too.

Thanks,

David
cotswolds

Re: Diary / mapping tools

Post by cotswolds »

I've never blogged a tour myself, but this one looks like an obvious choice to me. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com
F70100

Post by F70100 »

If you use a smartphone or tablet, maybe have a look at the Day One app. It is an offline journal app and though it doesn't yet have a facility to upload to web space, you can export as a PDF which you could then put online somewhere.

I used Day One to keep a journal of a motor home trip to Scotland in January and found it very easy to use. Once you set up an account, journals will sync across devices, so if you shared an account with your brother you could each make entries to the same journal.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Have a look at Wordpress with the OSM plug-in authored by MiKa. This plug-in allows you to upload gpx tracks, waypoints, whatever and display a map on each entry of you blog (or those you want). You can do some quite clever things like have a single map showing several different gpx tracks (even have different tracks in different colours). You can put several maps/tracks on a page, etc.

I've not tried the free wordpress.com blogs (so can't comment on them) but have mine "self-hosted" on my own domain.

But it's a bit more "techy" to use so you'd been a laptop of tablet (phone screen would be too small). I can PM you a few examples if you are interested (not of a cycle tour but something comparable).

Ian
Henry741

Post by Henry741 »

I used Travelpod in 2013.
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/he ... /tpod.html

We could upload pictures and a blog of each day. My sister and I each uploaded our own blog so we kept it all together.
It also has the option to create a book of the whole blog, which is great.

I would say try it out before you set off.