Garmin City Navigator ok on off-road NCN routes?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Max68

Garmin City Navigator ok on off-road NCN routes?

Post by Max68 »

Hi, any comments and advice gratefully received on the reliability of City Navigator mapping for Lejog? I use it on public highway roads and have had no problem but a bit uncertain on parts of lejog which I intend to follow ncn routes such as the A9 corridor or combination of road/canal paths in Somerset which may be one quite intricate navigationally. Cheers
cycleruk

Re: Garmin City Navigator ok on off-road NCN routes?

Post by cycleruk »

Which Garmin do you have.?
If you look at the map does it show offroad tracks.?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Max68

Post by Max68 »

It's an 810 - it does show tracks just seeking confidence from those who've used it along lejog.

Will try some local routes in the mean time
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

It depends on the route you load onto it.
I plot routes via ridewithgps.com and load them as .gpx files onto my Edge Touring. However ridewithgps (at least the free version that I use) is a pain for redirecting you wherever it can onto towpaths, footpaths, bridleways, off-road routes and so on and it sometimes needs some very careful scrutiny to ensure it's not directing me off down random (occasionally non-existant!) paths - this in essence is the opposiite problem to you, I specifically want mine to stay on road, you're asking for off-road.

It will do off-road but what the unit shows on the screen and what actually exists on the ground can often be two very different things...

The main thing you need to watch out for is the re-routing setting on the unit. If it's set to Auto Reroute it will start recalculating every time it thinks you're off route and that can be incredibly annoying.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

The map:

City Navigator will have 'off road' tracks and paths. It may not have all of them. It may not know which ones are bicycle routes. It is commercial copywriter and so it is not available for use on the web, if you want to see what it has you have to use the copy you have at home.

Web Based Things. Most web based maps use Open Street Maps (OSM) data as that is free to use. This has different data to City Navigator, it knows of bicycle routes and 'off road' tracks and paths. It will have errors! The data is entered by people like you and they make mistakes. You can fix the errors, add data .. just join OSM and contribute your time & knowledge and the OSM map will get better.

OSM maps on your Garmin Device. You can get a free OSM map onto your Garmin device ... there are a few that are available including bicycle specific ones.

-----------------
Ok on NCN routes?

Your best bet is to look for yourself! I don't know what you would find ok, and what not ok. Sorry. I have an old version of City Nav... I am happy to use OSM rather than pay for newer City Nav. Both of them will have errors. Yes I have found errors in my old version of City Nav... before it was 'old'. I have found errors even on paper maps.

-------------------------
How long is a bit of string?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The A9 NCN section is well marked, so you don't need to follow a satnav of any description.
I've done it with and Edge 305, and an Edge 705 ........................... before that, I did it with a Catey Mity 8 :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Are you sure it wasn't with a Huret speedometer Mick F? :lol: