Solo LEJOG, June/July, a few questions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
RickH

Re: Solo LEJOG, June/July, a few questions

Post by RickH »

baucutts wrote:Another question- has anyone used a Blackburn Outpost Seat Pack? It seems to be the cheapest for what I want and can find online, although other suggestions would be welcome. I'm pretty sure legs clearance should be fairly ok as I have an almost TT-like set up with the saddle a long way forward on the seatpost, but anything else to be wary of?

Bear in mind that, although it is billed as "extra large capacity", it is a 10.5l bag (according to Blackburn's page about it). That is smaller capacity than many of this type of bag, which generally seem have quoted capacity of about 13-17l. If 10l is enough for you then that is fine.

I looked (online) at various bags a few months back & in the end went for an Alpkit Koala (13l). So far I've been pleased but I've only used it as a day bag so far - compressed to its minimum it fits a jacket, tools, minipump & a couple of spare tubes but has plenty of additional space for removed layers (when the day has started at low single figure temps) or things aquired during the day.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
baucutts

Post by baucutts »

As an update, having had most of my planning sorted, my bike has been stolen in Cambridge- it's now a race against time I guess to sort a bike for the 29th, so as to not waste the train tickets and planning.
sjs

Post by sjs »

baucutts wrote:As an update, having had most of my planning sorted, my bike has been stolen in Cambridge- it's now a race against time I guess to sort a bike for the 29th, so as to not waste the train tickets and planning.

Very sorry to hear that Baucutts. I hope you manage to get something sorted in time.

My daughter just had her bike stolen in Manchester, in the middle of her uni exam period. I'm guessing the police in Rusholme have more important things to worry about at the moment.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

baucutts wrote:Thanks again for all the replies- I now have almost all my kit sorted, changing the tyres up 2mm in the next couple of days, some new bar tape to go on too. Sounds like canals aren't going to be my friend, as I'm looking to be fairly quick, just with a rather roundabout route.

Wilberforce- I was planning on heading out just to get some time riding the coast up there, and then guarantee a flat run in to Morpeth, but if it's not worth it then I'll go with your suggestion! Also I start the 29th June, so will PM you when I'll likely be up near Newcastle, always happy to have people to ride with for any part of it!

Seb

Hi Seb,

I take your point, and had a ride along the coast last night and agree it can be quite nice by the coast but it was quiet busy, also, it's got a couple of small hills heading towards Morpeth, that the inland route doesn't have. My thoughts on the inland route are down to lighter traffic.

Also, I'm really sorry about your bike. Really hope you get something sorted, and soon.
baucutts

Post by baucutts »

Thanks all, the insurance company have been very good at sorting a bike so I'm all set to ride, although a Giant Propel isn't necessarily as suitable for touring the country! :lol: Tickets and most accommodation all sorted now, leaving on the 29th June, and very excited!
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Good luck Seb.