Scotland ESPECIALLY bad for midges this year?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
uppadine

Re: Scotland ESPECIALLY bad for midges this year?

Post by uppadine »

I'm told by a Scot that this is what you need
http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've just returned from my LeJoG and can report no problems with midges, due to fairly strong winds. We had a few at one stop at Crianlarich but I wasn't bitten myself. I didn't use my Skin so Soft once.
We experienced very good standards of driving too. A few close passes by foreign camper vans (Italian), some by caravan towers who think their van is no wider than their car and the only near prang from a Dutch Volvo. After all the BS we hear about the Dutch reverence for cyclists too!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gxaustin wrote:I've just returned from my LeJoG and can report no problems with midges, due to fairly strong winds. We had a few at one stop at Crianlarich but I wasn't bitten myself. I didn't use my Skin so Soft once.

Some years ago when I stayed at Crianlarich, the midges were awful. It was the only place we encountered any all summer. Anyone who went outside in the evening was dashing about trying to get to the next building. And the moment a door opened, all the residents were shouting for it to be closed again :lol:

It was otherwise a very nice hostel, and we didn't see a single solitary midge during the day.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom