9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
langster

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Post by langster »

Hi,

Interesting points made above. There is just one issue I have to point out regarding the B7078 route from Abington to Hamilton; as everyone know's it's the original A74.
I cycled up this a few years ago and yes, it was nice and quiet BUT .....it was for virtually the entire length the most appallingly old worn out surface which made it extremely uncomfortable even on my Trek carbon road bike. A real bone shaker and I regretted going on it. Terrible ruts and potholes everywhere. I had the impression that since the new A74M replaced it it's been totally neglected by the authorities! Just something to bear in mind unless it has amazingly been resurfaced since( doubt it somehow).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

langster wrote:Hi,

Interesting points made above. There is just one issue I have to point out regarding the B7078 route from Abington to Hamilton; as everyone know's it's the original A74.
I cycled up this a few years ago and yes, it was nice and quiet BUT .....it was for virtually the entire length the most appallingly old worn out surface which made it extremely uncomfortable even on my Trek carbon road bike. A real bone shaker and I regretted going on it. Terrible ruts and potholes everywhere. I had the impression that since the new A74M replaced it it's been totally neglected by the authorities! Just something to bear in mind unless it has amazingly been resurfaced since( doubt it somehow).

I sometimes wonder if riders, especially on a long trip, get confused on what road I'm on today.
The B7078 Abington to Hamilton is a relatively short section. prior to this you've had a long old time on the B7076. Yes the surface can be poor in places and it's frequently better to be on the road. I have to ride on it week in and week out more often than not on 25mm.
The 7078 is greatly improved after Uddington
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=106610&p=1024636&hilit=Uddington#p1024636
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

rareposter wrote:
cycleruk wrote:You've chosen Windermere ferry and I estimate that will put anything upto an hour into your journey. Maybe not if you are lucky but certainly 1/2 hour. Coming of the ferry is a bit of a climb (10%) up to Far Sawrey.
Also Redbank at mile 53 is a 25% down and seriously steep (cyclist dismount) even for mountain bikes.

Windermere Ferry is lovely and it's not that much longer. As a cyclist you just ride to the front of the queue, buy your ticket (£1) at the machine and pedestrians and cycles get priority boarding. It's only 15 minutes from loading to unloading. I used it last weekend.

Yes ferry is nice and been over a good few times. But if you just miss it then you have to wait for it to go over, unload & reload and come back and unload / reload and then trip over. Yes you can go to the front of the queue but you still have to wait for cars etc to load.

Yes concur with your suggestion to turn right up the west side after ferry. Last rode it on 25 size tyres with no problem. Mind I was only lightly loaded. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Not only is Redbank steep, you have to dodge the walker drifting all over the road.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
benb

Post by benb »

Hi, I am looking at 9 day route and wanted to ask if you could post your final routes once you've finished editing them. Seems like a lot of very useful information is being collated and I'd appreciate accessing the finish route

thanks
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

So ValentinoGod - did you do your ride? How was it? Have you got any blog, photos, Strava files etc?
Just be interested to see it that's all.

Hope you had a good trip!