9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rareposter

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote:Day 5
What's wrong with Kendal direct to Penrith up the A6?

I've enjoyed Shap Summit on more than one occasion. :D

I was up Shap the other day - rode it North -> South which given the wind direction was a bit of a mistake! :lol:
It's certainly the quickest way but people have all sorts of reasons for going other routes - I rarely bother questioning anyone's choice of route, just suggested some nicer alternatives.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tim_f wrote:Re Day 5

Might want to use the Preston wheel cycle way rathe rthan going through centre of Preston http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/cycling/guild-wheel.aspx

I would go over Shap summit to Penrith from Kendal via A6 rther going through the lakes. Still I a great ride but much quicker than going by the Lakes and the A6 to Shap is an easy climb. At Pernrith come off the A6 and follow NCN to Carlisle to the east side of M6.

If you go that way best to approach Kendal via the lanes through Sedgewick and Natland rather than follow the A roads.

Much better to use the cycle path alongside the new A689 Carlisle eastern Bypass than go through the centre of Carlisle.

I think you mean the West side which is a lovely route and I find it no slower than the A6. Agree wholeheartedly about Sedgwick, Natland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Here is my opinion of day 5, my local patch. Bear in mind you may have different needs and standards to me.
The A38 is horrible. Its fast main road all the way. It is the main route north f the motorway is avoided and traffic moves quickly. You have a lot of nearly empty lanes either side of it, especially to the west. Much nicer to ride and unless you are after a record time worth while.
The chunk through Gloucester its elf has some off road or pavement riding, watch the surfaces, they are more a collection of gravel and glass than anything. Better than the tarmac though.
The A417 to Ledbury is nearly as bad. Main through route with stacks of lorries.
The A49 is as bad.
In fact I would say that you have possible chosen the 3 worst roads to use for the whole day. All main through routes with lots of lorry traffic and things travelling s fats as possible. The roads that I use only to get from one minor road to another and reluctantly at that. I say this as a cyclist of decades who is confident in traffic and not afraid to throw my weight around where needed.
ValentinoGod

Post by ValentinoGod »

irc wrote:Day 7 minor amendment. The A814 for about 2 miles west from the Scottish Exhibition Centre is an expressway. Not cycle friendly. Not sure if bikes allowed. There is a service road between the SEC and the A814 which takes you to the Transport Museum. From there - South St until it ends then A814 is good all the way to Bowling.

At the far end of Bowling 20yds before the roundabout a tarmac surface cycle track takes you to Dumbarton. An option though the A82 there isn't too bad. between Bolwing and Dumbarton its mostly a 40mph limit.

Thanks irc! I've changed that on my route.
I'll make a note of that cycle track for the day

rareposter wrote:Day 5.
Between km 50 and km 64 I'd avoid the A591 and go directly north up via Levens, Brigsteer, Underbarrow, Crook. Little lumpy in places but vastly more pleasant than the A591 which is essentially a motorway at that point.
When you get to Wythburn (about km 97 or so) turn left and go round the back of Thirlmere (western side). Much quieter, much more pleasant than the main road which is narrow and very busy with tourist traffic.
You come out at High Bridge End Farm, cross the A591 and rejoin your route at km 104.

Threlkeld has a nice little cafe - be aware that there is nothing once you leave Grasmere until you reach Threlkeld.
From km 112 to 113 there is actually a parallel cycle route just to the left of the A66 - do use it cos it's actually pretty good and far more pleasant than being passed by lorries doing 60mph.

Hope that helps. Nice route otherwise.

Brilliant! Thanks for using the km number to help me out!
Have taken your advice regarding the A591 avoidance.
I have also noted your cycle tracks for the day - my map is fairly naff and doesn't show them

I appreciate your help.

rareposter wrote:
Mick F wrote:Day 5
What's wrong with Kendal direct to Penrith up the A6?

I've enjoyed Shap Summit on more than one occasion. :D

I was up Shap the other day - rode it North -> South which given the wind direction was a bit of a mistake! :lol:
It's certainly the quickest way but people have all sorts of reasons for going other routes - I rarely bother questioning anyone's choice of route, just suggested some nicer alternatives.

Quite a few people have commented about day 5, so i'll answer everyone here. Thanks for your input tim and Mike.
I chose the lakes route just because my previous days were quite a-road based and Paulatic mentioned this route as being scenic.
I'm admittedly very naïve, I've never cycled or travelled to any of the places I'm going to and have 0 local knowledge. So if I'm told it's just as good on the A6 then i will happily change it. I'm coming into this completely open-minded about the route i take.

It's an approx. extra 10km to go through the lakes than via Shap/Penrith to rejoin my route. I don't mind that if I'm going to get a nice cycle across the lakes.

But please do correct me if my logic is wrong.

mattsccm wrote:Here is my opinion of day 5, my local patch. Bear in mind you may have different needs and standards to me.
The A38 is horrible. Its fast main road all the way. It is the main route north f the motorway is avoided and traffic moves quickly. You have a lot of nearly empty lanes either side of it, especially to the west. Much nicer to ride and unless you are after a record time worth while.
The chunk through Gloucester its elf has some off road or pavement riding, watch the surfaces, they are more a collection of gravel and glass than anything. Better than the tarmac though.
The A417 to Ledbury is nearly as bad. Main through route with stacks of lorries.
The A49 is as bad.
In fact I would say that you have possible chosen the 3 worst roads to use for the whole day. All main through routes with lots of lorry traffic and things travelling s fats as possible. The roads that I use only to get from one minor road to another and reluctantly at that. I say this as a cyclist of decades who is confident in traffic and not afraid to throw my weight around where needed.

Hi Matt, I assume you mean day 3.

I'm not experienced in fast-moving traffic. I mainly cycle through Central London and suburbs so I am used to hustle and bustle of cars/lorries but not much else.

My issue is day 3 is currently my longest day at 181km and if i start taking detours then that will probably put me over 200 which is either beyond me, or will be a real struggle.

Having said that, what do you think of these to cut out a lot of A road time?

So at 16km go via Thornbury and Berkeley instead and rejoin route at 30km?
59.5 go via 'over old road' and rejoin at 64km?
112 go via B4361 via Leominster/Richards Castle/Ludford and rejoin at 137?
At 138 go via B4365 via Culmington/Birtley amd rejoin at 159.5?
169.5 go via station road via Condover and rejoin at 175

Thanks
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

tim_f wrote:
Re Day 5

Might want to use the Preston wheel cycle way rathe rthan going through centre of Preston http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/leisure-an ... wheel.aspx

I would go over Shap summit to Penrith from Kendal via A6 rther going through the lakes. Still I a great ride but much quicker than going by the Lakes and the A6 to Shap is an easy climb. At Pernrith come off the A6 and follow NCN to Carlisle to the east side of M6.

If you go that way best to approach Kendal via the lanes through Sedgewick and Natland rather than follow the A roads.

Much better to use the cycle path alongside the new A689 Carlisle eastern Bypass than go through the centre of Carlisle.

I think you mean the West side which is a lovely route and I find it no slower than the A6. Agree wholeheartedly about Sedgwick, Natland.

Yes I mean the west side and also the western Carlisle relief road / bypass.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Yeah, day 3. Sorry
Many people cross the Severn on the old Bridge and go north that way, up the Wye valley. Much better. Avoiding the A49 is then an issue to some extent. Hmm . I'll think
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

How about drawing a straight line on a map from a to be then following the non A roads closest to that?
I'll admit that the roads you chose are often used by E to E ers but they are just not nice. Scenic and may be quiet at times. City traffic will be more frequent but I don't like being passed at 60mph every 30 seconds.
juice

Post by juice »

The A82 south of Fort William is narrow and fast/busy. There is an alternative but it's a bit of a fiddle. If you cross on the corran ferry you can cycle on the other side of the loch on a lovely empty road, you'll need to get a little ferry back at fort William. Its part of the cycle route, there's a phone number on a post to call the little ferry.
PS Farr Cottage hostel in FW is a dump.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

juice wrote:The A82 south of Fort William is narrow and fast/busy. There is an alternative but it's a bit of a fiddle. If you cross on the corran ferry you can cycle on the other side of the loch on a lovely empty road, you'll need to get a little ferry back at fort William. Its part of the cycle route, there's a phone number on a post to call the little ferry.
PS Farr Cottage hostel in FW is a dump.

Thought the Camusnagaul ferry rang to a timetable , which is not very frequent.
juice

Post by juice »

http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/Tra ... Ferry.aspx

There is a timetable see above. Note the mobile number at the bottom.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

juice wrote:http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/TransportinLochaber/PublicTransport/Ferries/CamusnagaulFerry.aspx

I have the timetable, it's just your comment that seems to imply they will come across if you ring them.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Toffee wrote:
juice wrote:http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/TransportinLochaber/PublicTransport/Ferries/CamusnagaulFerry.aspx

I have the timetable, it's just your comment that seems to imply they will come across if you ring them.

I posted on another thread about the Cambusnagaul Ferry.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=107968&p=1095058&hilit=rareposter+cam+ferry#p1095058

Sort of mid-way down Page 2

I've never had any issues with the A82. Although I'd probably try to avoid riding it on a summer bank holiday weekend! It's always been a mid-week afternoon when I've been on it with one exception where I did a short stretch of it at crack of dawn coming up out of Fort William heading south.
juice

Post by juice »

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_lauder/status/605719939631222784

We did it going south but noticed this sign on the other side.
Don't get stuck there, I guess a quick phone call would be a good idea.

If it's not busy and you're in a hurry, rule 5.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sorry to go on about day 5 :oops: But to start with your route follows the Lancaster canal towpath. This is not a good surface until you get to Lancaster. Even then it's a compacted stone surface and some of the bridges make it awkward. Recommend not to use it.
You've chosen Windermere ferry and I estimate that will put anything upto an hour into your journey. Maybe not if you are lucky but certainly 1/2 hour. Coming of the ferry is a bit of a climb (10%) up to Far Sawrey.
Also Redbank at mile 53 is a 25% down and seriously steep (cyclist dismount) even for mountain bikes.
Someone advised going to the west side of Thirlmere - also advise the same. Personally going through the Lakes is a very testing route, there is very little flat and as the elevation shows is either going up or down. (and nearly 6000 ft of climbing over the day.
I have done a couple of suggestive routes - one to Kendal for Shap, and the other a diversion to Windermere for the Ferry.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21831248
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21832037

Edit to add Day5 - A6 to Gretna
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21837573
(10 miles shorter and over a 1300.ft less climbing.)
Obviously it's up to the individual preferences and hope the above helps.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

cycleruk wrote:You've chosen Windermere ferry and I estimate that will put anything upto an hour into your journey. Maybe not if you are lucky but certainly 1/2 hour. Coming of the ferry is a bit of a climb (10%) up to Far Sawrey.
Also Redbank at mile 53 is a 25% down and seriously steep (cyclist dismount) even for mountain bikes.

Windermere Ferry is lovely and it's not that much longer. As a cyclist you just ride to the front of the queue, buy your ticket (£1) at the machine and pedestrians and cycles get priority boarding. It's only 15 minutes from loading to unloading. I used it last weekend.

If you want to avoid some of the hills, instead of going up over Far Sawrey, turn right just after you come off the ferry and there's a tarmac road then a well surfaced gravel road that takes you right up the shore of Windermere and then onto well surfaced gravel tracks through Pull Woods (all signposted, they are proper cycle routes).
Back onto the road, turn left and go through Skelwith Fold Caravan Park and pick up the original route at km 81.5

Red Bank isn't bad - bit steep in places but I've ridden up and down it on road, CX and mountain bikes many times.