First timer, anyone want to put me off?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
scaredaddy

First timer, anyone want to put me off?

Post by scaredaddy »

Hi everyone.

Firstly thanks for this brilliant resource theres a wealth of knowledge im slowly getting through.

Ive managed to convince a friend to give this a shot. Ive had it in my head for a good 10 years and for me it tops the bucket list. We're not tourers in any way, at my peak for cycling i was doing a daily 20 mile commute (2 x 10 mile) with the occasional ~50 mile day at the weekend. Lifes taken over recently so its nearing 12 months since ive rode my bike in anger. Not quite sure where i would categorise myself as a cyclist, theres some miles there but mainly commuting. Ive got a good handle of the maintenance side of things but theres some terminology etc that im oblivious too (basically i dont know what i dont know).

Ive got quite a rugged hybrid and my road bike, however my friend will more than likely be using his road bike. My bike is towards the budget end (btwin triban 500) his is a bit more expensive similar spec but a better brand (cant rememeber what it is). I suppose my first question is can you foresee major issues using these bikes?

Ive thought i would like to camp but the bikes arent exactly built to carry so in all likelihood we will be going youth hostels/b&b/airbnb. That leads us on to the next of the 'problems'. We're not exactly well off. So there will be a restricted budget (hence the budget bike). The good thing is we've set ourself what i think is a good timescale, about this time next year, so it should give us some time to plan and budget, not to mention getting in better shape.

Our thoughts are to aim for around 10 days, going light and fast (not too fast that we cant enjoy it but fast enough so we dont run over two weeks annual leave). Its mainly a self indulgent trip to satisfy our goals but we're hoping it will be enough to encourage people to donate some money for a charity too. Any experience or hints for fundraising will be gratefully accepted as ive only ever been part of organised events before.

Sorry i know this thread is a bit wishy washy but just wanted to put it down in writing, so i cant back out.

Thanks again to all forum members, your journeys and experiences have inspired and encouraged us to take on the challenge.
oldmanonabike

Re: First timer, anyone want to put me off?

Post by oldmanonabike »

Welcome to the forum
You're a braver man than me I wouldn't like to ride about a hundred miles a day for 10 days.
The only advice I could give is choose which bike you are going to use and get some serious training in.
I see no problem with your Triban they are good quality reasonably priced bikes
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

You could join warmshower. We regularly host cyclists passing through the inverness area and give them a good feed and free bed for the night.
Alan
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Have a look at my blog from 2009. Get some good training in, as long as you can pull 100 milers back to back you'll enjoy it and have a great time. Have a look at robs website see the header on this topic. If you've read post on the forum you'll have seen Mick F's alternative to the A30 round wadebridge and Camelford a much nicer route I've used it three times now. Also look for Robs passage to avoid the Cadbury hills, ...........sorry Mick stealing your thunder here :oops:

post your route you'll get good advice for accomodation and ways round.
good luck.
Malc

http://e2ein10days.blogspot.co.uk/
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
RickH

Post by RickH »

My Advice - Don't Do it!...

...You'll only find yourself getting hooked on these long rides & wanting to do more. :D

I did LEJOG as a target to aim for when I got back into cycling after a break. Then I did a French end-to-end...

... & Bordeaux to Barcelona

... & Lowestoft to St David's.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

RickH wrote:My Advice - Don't Do it!...

...You'll only find yourself getting hooked on these long rides & wanting to do more. :D

I did LEJOG as a target to aim for when I got back into cycling after a break. Then I did a French end-to-end...

... & Bordeaux to Barcelona

... & Lowestoft to St David's.

thats avery good bit of advice I tried a double in 2011 after my first e2e in 2009. Then I did LeJoG again in 2014. Ah for the open road. :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Rds220

Post by Rds220 »

Pretty much the same situation as me, will be watching this thread with interest
PH

Post by PH »

Rds220 wrote:Pretty much the same situation as me, will be watching this thread with interest

Maybe not watch too closely, no one has contributed to it for half a year, with a bit of luck scaredaddy's preparations are well under way, but they haven't been back with updates.
Rather than follow this thread, you might be better off starting your own, there's always people happy to help.
Rds220

Post by Rds220 »

PH wrote:
Rds220 wrote:Pretty much the same situation as me, will be watching this thread with interest

Maybe not watch too closely, no one has contributed to it for half a year, with a bit of luck scaredaddy's preparations are well under way, but they haven't been back with updates.
Rather than follow this thread, you might be better off starting your own, there's always people happy to help.

Good point, I didn’t notice that - thank you! Unfortunately my preparations have been hampered by injury, delayed till the end of summer now :|
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

I am a first timer also: setting off on the 6 May - 28 days approximately using the Sustrans Route in the main. Using an Adventure Trike which I pick up on Thursday of this week. Can’t wait. Camping as much as I can. Just taking my time. :D
Si

Post by Si »

I'd say - ask yourself what you want to get out of it the most: if you want a big challenge, raise money for charity etc then 10 days sounds good (assuming you'll get a bit of training in first). But if you want to really experience places, stop often and interact with people, explore things you meet along the way then 10 days may not leave you much chance to do this. I did 16 days @ 75mpd average and still felt a bit rushed / didn't get enough time to see everything I wanted to.