Dawes Gran Tour 725 2016 v Ridgeback Panorama 2017

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LucyP

Dawes Gran Tour 725 2016 v Ridgeback Panorama 2017

Post by LucyP »

I am planning to do a 2 week solo LeJog in September, sticking to roads. I will be carrying my own luggage but will not be camping. I am looking at touring bikes and have narrowed it down to the following two options but am receiving conflicting advice on which would be best suited to the journey and whether one bike is better for the job than the other. I am also not sure whether there are any obvious adjustments that should be made eg gearing or wheels? It appears I still have a lot to learn!

https://www.evanscycles.com/dawes-gran- ... e-EV238306
https://www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-p ... e-EV289258

With thanks in advance!
pwa

Re: Dawes Gran Tour 725 2016 v Ridgeback Panorama 2017

Post by pwa »

700c wheels run better than 26" on roads, so the Ridgeback will probably cruise more easily.

I'd not buy a bike just for LEJOG, so I'd also be thinking what I would be using it for afterwards. I like tourers and would find the Ridgeback great for commuting and general use. It is perhaps a heavier bike than you need for LEJOG, but most of the lighter alternatives do not have the option of nice low gears that a tourer has, so the Ridgeback is a nice choice. You will appreciate having 26(f) x 34(r) if climbing a steep hill towards the end of the day.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Test ride them both and go with the one you are happiest with.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
pwa

Post by pwa »

For a slightly lighter bike, with the ability to pick components to suit your needs, you could look at a Thorn Audax Mk3. That might make sense if you are a small light person. It could carry two small panniers and a bar bag, which might be all you need, and Thorn could tailor the gear choice to give you really low gears for the hills. Not disc brakes but probably a nicer ride. It would be a semi-bespoke bike so would cost a little more than the two options identified. But maybe worth it.
LucyP

Post by LucyP »

Thanks - the Thorn Audax Mk3 looks an interesting option. I will look into it a little further.
honesty

Post by honesty »

They're both very good. Basically ride both of them and pick the one you like best. Wheel size is the obvious difference ( and the benefits and down sides of each type have consumed many pages of arguments...) and the spec of the gran tour is slightly higher as well. I have a thorn audax. I've fitted 32mm tyres which do make for a comfy ride, but can't have mudguards with them (well you probably could fit 45mm guards with a bit of cutting around the brakes, there seems to be enough room in the frame). I've toured on it for the last few years and it is good for light loads.
pwa

Post by pwa »

honesty wrote:They're both very good. Basically ride both of them and pick the one you like best. Wheel size is the obvious difference ( and the benefits and down sides of each type have consumed many pages of arguments...) and the spec of the gran tour is slightly higher as well. I have a thorn audax. I've fitted 32mm tyres which do make for a comfy ride, but can't have mudguards with them (well you probably could fit 45mm guards with a bit of cutting around the brakes, there seems to be enough room in the frame). I've toured on it for the last few years and it is good for light loads.

The latest Audax Mk3R will take 32mm Marathon Supremes with guards, which should be ideal for LEJOG. The whole bike could be just right for that sort of journey if camping gear is not needed. A bit lighter and nippier than the two bikes suggested.
honesty

Post by honesty »

pwa wrote:
honesty wrote:They're both very good. Basically ride both of them and pick the one you like best. Wheel size is the obvious difference ( and the benefits and down sides of each type have consumed many pages of arguments...) and the spec of the gran tour is slightly higher as well. I have a thorn audax. I've fitted 32mm tyres which do make for a comfy ride, but can't have mudguards with them (well you probably could fit 45mm guards with a bit of cutting around the brakes, there seems to be enough room in the frame). I've toured on it for the last few years and it is good for light loads.

The latest Audax Mk3R will take 32mm Marathon Supremes with guards, which should be ideal for LEJOG. The whole bike could be just right for that sort of journey if camping gear is not needed. A bit lighter and nippier than the two bikes suggested.

Sounds good then. Agreed this is a good suggestion. Obviously not disc brakes though which the 2 you've picked do have, but there's also a lot of arguments about brakes as well!

On an aside, I though the mk3r was just the previous mk3 frame with a new fork? Therefore are they playing on the fact the Supremes are smaller than their stated size? I've fitted voyages hypers on mine, and whilst there's almost a cm gap between tyre and frame, there's no way you could get a 35mm mud guard to go round the tyres without it touching.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thorn say the Mk3 has the brake bridge 1.5mm higher, which doesn't sound much but they say it means tyres up to a real 31mm, nominally 32mm. So Marathon Supremes.