sheffield (thurgoland)to london (picadilly)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
jamskof

sheffield (thurgoland)to london (picadilly)

Post by jamskof »

hi guys, im from sheffield but have been living in australia for the last 17 years.
i am coming back to the uk for christmas and would really like to ride to london from sheffield, im hoping to do it over two days.

i was thinking of taking this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5715607

purely because thats all i can find! i have looked at the sustrans site and i believe route 6 is the best option, i just dont know how much is on and off road. hard to tell with the map

just wondered if anyone had any info, tips, do's and donts. or alternative routes?

i currently ride 25mm gp4000s but im thinking of getting the 28's as it might help me out on the gravel sections.

thanks guys
TrevA

Re: sheffield (thurgoland)to london (picadilly)

Post by TrevA »

Route 6 wanders around quite a bit, so it's a far from direct route and a fair bit of it is off road, though with a mostly reasonable surface. I've ridden it as far north as Worksop and as far south as Leicester.

Personally, I would try to find a country lane route which runs parallel to the A6 or the M1, though this may take a bit of research.

Your Ride with GPS route is ok, but a bit too much main road for my liking. I wouldn't go through the centre of Nottingham, but would cross the Trent at Gunthorpe, 10 miles east of Nottm, and then head down towards Melton Mowbray and beyond.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Try using http://cycle.travel/map

Click on start, click on end, click & drag to change.
It gives turn-by-turn instructions on the left, and there are profile and GPS export buttons above.
You can also click on the route and "find photos". These come from geograph.org.uk. They can be sometimes be handy to see the state of the track surface, if there are any photos in the right place..

It knows most of the cycle tracks, and generally likes using them, resulting in a tendency to blast straight straight through towns on them where it's shorter than skirting past the edge.
jamskof

Post by jamskof »

thanks everyone, and thanks andrew for that link, really helpful
hodge

Post by hodge »

jamskof wrote:hi guys, im from sheffield but have been living in australia for the last 17 years.
i am coming back to the uk for christmas and would really like to ride to london from sheffield, im hoping to do it over two days. . . . . .
thanks guys

as you've been living in Australia for 17yrs, don't forget weather is different over here at that time of year :wink:
ice, snow and other grimness is not unknown at least in the first part of your route.
Some folk 'dream' of a White Christmas apparently.
millimole

Post by millimole »

That RwGPS route appears to use part of the A43 in Northamptonshire which - if it's the bit of road I'm thinking of - is motorway in all but name.
I think Route 6 is seriously worth considering: certainly Leicester to Milton Keynes is better than the alternative road route; route 6 between Market Harborough & Northampton is 'unsurfaced' but the hard-packed grit, gentle gradients and lack of other users means that you can get up a fair turn of speed (it's also very pretty). Route6 takes a stupid loop along the canal just north of Market Harborough which is avoided by going past Gartree prison.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider