Ncn7 Blair atholl to Newtonmore - condition?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Max68

Ncn7 Blair atholl to Newtonmore - condition?

Post by Max68 »

Hi, anyone have recent experience of the paths condition at the moment. I've seen older comments both positive and negative so good to understand. I'll be passing through on a cyclocross bike with panniers. Thanks
epa611

Re: Ncn7 Blair atholl to Newtonmore - condition?

Post by epa611 »

Guy on YouTube filmed this last year https://youtu.be/1oPsYXJqWx8

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D5803 using hovercraft full of eels.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I cycled along this route in November 2016 (fairly recently) and cannot recall anything untoward on 700 x 32 tyres.

All the best, Simon
Max68

Post by Max68 »

Thanks for quick responses - will be heading through next week. Cheers
Smith873

Post by Smith873 »

You should be fine on 700x32 tyres.

I rode this stretch of the NCN 7 on Wednesday on 700x25 tyres. I travelled south from Aviemore to Perth.

Admittedly some stretches are rough and I got my bones rattled, particularly on the old A9 sections where the tarmac surface died long ago. Although I was more worried about getting a puncture from glass and road debris on the gravel cycle track that runs alongside the new A9. Luckily I got none.

Enjoy your trip. Great scenery.
Max68

Post by Max68 »

32 tyres were fine and only hazards stability wise were where potholes have been filled with loose material but these were easy to see. Route was excellent with strong headwind up the pass from the southern side but amazing descent all the way into Newtonmore. Cheers
nnc283

Post by nnc283 »

I live in Newtonmmore and this part of the route is actually much improved of late, the highways authority must have taken on board some of the complaints as a lot of the debris, windfall etc has been removed. Yes the surface leaves a lot to be desired in places but I ride it regularly on a lightweight with 25mm tyres and it's no big deal compared to many of the so called classified roads round here.

BTW the Kincraig to Aviemore section of the A9 is currently being upgraded to dual carriageway and as a result there will be a new dedicated cycle track alongside. I doubt many will use it though as the old A9 (now the B9152) provides a much more pleasant alternative.
BillyO

Post by BillyO »

I cycled this way the other day on a Trek Domane with 28mm continental GP 4 Season tyres. The route is a bit rough in places but did not present any real problem. I put these tyres on specifically for my LEJOG and they fulfilled all expectations- comfortable and no punctures on the whole journey!
Bill