JOGLE Route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
pagedanuk

JOGLE Route

Post by pagedanuk »

Hi All

I'm about a month away from my ride.. Solo JOGLE in 9 days. Just thought i'd share my route... in case it helps anyone.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... sp=sharing

Since i've booked all my accommodation i won't be deviating from this very far.. but all suggestions welcome

Cheers
tim_f

Re: JOGLE Route

Post by tim_f »

Not a good idea to approach Kendal via A591 - lots of very fast moving trafic just off the M6. If you must go that way use the footpath on the east side of the road which has been recently resurfaced and is frequently used as a unofficial cycle path.

Better to go Millinthorpe, Hincaster , Natland and then Kendal.

From Penrith best to follow lanes via Little Blencow on west side of M6 to Carlise. If you do not need to go into Carlisle for accommodation best to use 'new' western relief road / bypass that has a good cycle path.
pagedanuk

Post by pagedanuk »

Thanks. I'll check these out on the map tomorrow..
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

On the whole your route is quite different from my own Jogle last year and I’ve noticed that you’ve taken to using fast, but generally busier roads. Some of my more memorable days were spent on the quieter back roads but then I factored in an average 65-70 miles per day over 15 days.

I noticed, you've made a good move my planning to cycle on the south side of Loch Lochy. I chose to go along the unmade trail on the north side, which shook me and bike up for miles, it was uncomfortable and really only suited to off-road bikes with suspension.

Whatever way you end up taking, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the experience, it’s a fantastic journey.
pagedanuk

Post by pagedanuk »

Thanks. With 9 days to do it, figured that I needed to go on faster roads... but am looking forward to some of the quieter moment :)

It's going to be amazing i'm sure..
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do not go on the A30 over Bodmin Moor! :shock:

It's fine ..... or should I say it was fine ......... but now they've modified some junctions and closed the road for cyclists.
All may be fine this autumn, but NOT YET.

You CANNOT go on your chosen route.
Mick F. Cornwall
pagedanuk

Post by pagedanuk »

Thanks

Googled it and found this..

Cyclists
For the duration of the construction of the new dual carriageway cyclists are prohibited from travelling along the route as the single lanes are narrower. For cyclists travelling east on the A30 they should leave at the Bodmin off-ramp at Carminow Cross and follow the clearly marked cycle route via Fletchers Bridge, Mount and Bolventor. For cyclists travelling west on the A30 they should leave at the Colliford Lake turn-off and follow the clearly marked cycle route via Mount and Fletchers Bridge.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

DO NOT GO THAT WAY.
It's a terribly difficult and twisty route. You'll waste hours and effort, and the hills are hard work.

Stay on the Old A30 towards Launceston, and just after crossing into Cornwall, turn right.
Take the first left just past the water works and this will bring you out on the main road.
Turn left down the hill to the mini roundabout, and turn right up the hill to St Stephens.
Head west to Egloskerry and Tresmeer.
Go straight on at Tresmeer by the chapel.
This will take you out to the A395 where you turn right.
Keep on this road until you reach the A39.
Turn left (south) through Camelford and down into the Allen Valley and Wadebridge.
Stay on the A39 over the river on the main bridge.
Stay on the A39 until you reach your original route.

TBH, I reckon it'll be just as quick as the A30 route.
Mick F. Cornwall
pagedanuk

Post by pagedanuk »

Thanks Mick !
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's ok.

I saw your thread the other day, but paid no real attention. Just sitting here now, I clicked on your route link to zoom in and saw your A30 bit.

Have a read at this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=98137
Mick F. Cornwall