September LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: September LeJog

Post by Mick F »

comfortablynumb wrote:Whilst no specific mention of when the cycling restriction ends, local press are reporting the road works all finishing by Friday July 14th with the exception of one overbridge a couple of weeks later.
http://www.kier-a30cornwall.co.uk/
Steve.
Just picked this up on the BBC Cornwall news site.
A30 opening soon.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
chrispee

Post by chrispee »

Thanks Mick, think i'll stick with my current route to Okehampton though, imagine its a little more scenic/less hectic!

Will make amendments based on peoples recommendations, any more would be great, especially for days 3 and 4!

Cheers
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Day 4:
There isn't really a nice way through the urban sprawl of Manchester-Warrington-Liverpool.
ONe option you mnight wasnt to look at is taking it slightly further east: from Middlewich bear NE and go through Byley, Peopver, Knutsford and up through Tatton Park which is a lovely deer park. You then proceed via Dubham Massey (again, stunning little village), Partington and rejoin your route at Mile 73.

There's no problem with going into Vliteroe, it's a nice little town and there's a decent bike shop / cafe there as well if you're in need of food and spares. Be aware that the climb over Waddington Fell to Salidburn is a proper pig but then any way you get to Slaidburn is going to be hilly! The descent ahs some very technical bits on it - sharp corners, cattle grids, narrow sections and it's easily possible to get speeds of well over 50mph on that so take care. I prefer going out via Chatburn, Grindleton and then that tiny lane (Smallden Lane) to join B6478 just east of Slaidburn and then drop into it that way. Quieter road, less of a hill, a safer descent in and better views. But probably a few miles longer.

The way out is fine, again that descent to Bentham can be VERY fast. Your route into Kendal is good. If you decide you want to avoid Shap for whatever reason, you'#ve always got the option of going directly north via Barbon, Sedbergh, Tebay - an option which you don't really have if you go the regular way up the A6 from Preston/Lancaster. Nice route, that's a good couple of days.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Entering the southern side of Bristol, is better turning off the A38 and going via Congresbury, to avoid Red Hill up past the airport.

If you go via Congresbury, head for Yatton and turn right through Claverham to Backwell to avoid Rhodyate Hill up the A370 to the pub, which is basically the western end of the same ridge as Red Hill. Far too many motorists going far too fast there.

Mile 65 on Day 2 - I wouldn't ride that stretch of A39, especially in that direction with motorists who have just left the M5. I'd go under it along the old railway between Bawdrip and Cossington, but turning left at Bawdrip and using just a very short stretch of the A39 to the Woolavington turn should be OK.

I guess you're going up Cheddar Gorge on purpose. Coming down the other side, Route 3 uses the next road east, Ridge Lane, which IIRC is a lot less testing on the brakes than Harptree Hill on your route, plus the crossing of the A368 is in a village with I think a lower speed limit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.