September LeJog

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
chrispee

September LeJog

Post by chrispee »

Evening all,

Long time lurker so thought I would post up, I'm planning on redoing LeJog this September after a disastrous JogLe attempt in 2011 that I wont go into in too much detail in, suffice to say this is a tour of redemption for me. Making use of my recently retired father I will be completing the route solo over 9 days with him supporting in the car, doing roughly the reverse of the 2011 route, symbolic for me! The current plan is shown below, would appreciate tips and hints, although as mentioned im intent on going to roughly the same places as 2011

Day 1: Lands End to roughly Okehampton
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15831169

Day 2: Okehampton to Bristol
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15831537

Day 3: Bristol to Ironbridge (YHA)
Going over the Severn Bridge into Wales then up through Shropshire: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15827819

Day 4: Ironbridge to Slaidburn (YHA)
Longest day: have a route through the Urban Sprawl but would appreciate any tips from those in this part of the world
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15826044

Day 5: Slaidburn to Gretna Green
Over the big hill out of Slaidburn, via Kendal and Shap on the A6
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15826024

Day 6: Gretna Green to Stirling (SYHA)
Had a route that went from New Lanark to Carlisle so will modify and extend this
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15826014

Day 7: Stirling to Glencoe (SYHA)
Sticking mainly to the A82, I'm used to TT'ing on Dual Carriageways so the thought of the A82 isnt too terrifying: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15826008

Day 8: Glencoe to Tain (B&B)
Avoid the A82 and go up the east side of Lochness into Inverness, then mainly use the A9 to Tain, although cut south a bit (the Black Isle?) https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15825952

Day 9: Tain to JOG
Sticking to the A9, as we are driving back down to Perth after I finish: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15825864

*edited to include v1 of all days*

I have poured over the forum and hopefully have a fairly legitimate safe route, but the collective knowledge of Mick et al would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Chris
Last edited by chrispee on 5 Jul 2017, 9:15pm, edited 3 times in total.
philvantwo

Re: September LeJog

Post by philvantwo »

No cyclists on the A30 over Bodmin Moor Mick F has been telling us.
PH

Post by PH »

At a glance it looks to me like the toughest two days are the first two.
We're all different, but for my high mileage tours, I like to build up over the first three days. Ideally I'd take 30 a day off the first two and add it back over the next four.
just my 2p's worth - have a good ride
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LE to Okehampton is about 100miles ............. and they are tough ones.

Yes, the A30 of Bodmin Moor isn't yet open the cyclists. If you try, you'll be sorry, because the diversion is horrible. :shock:
However, one person on this forum rode the A30 despite the ban, but he did it in the dead of night .......... and got away with it.

Best route:
LE to Penzance, Hayle, Connor Downs, Camborne, Redruth, Blackwater.
Go on the A30 a bit but turn off for St Newlyn East and St Columb Major.
Then A39 for Wadebridge and Camelford.
A395 to Hallworthy and turn off left to Tresmeer and Egloskerry to St Stephens.
Down the hill and left up the A388 for a short way, then right, then further on, right again.
This will bring you out on the Old A30.
Follow this all the way to Sourton and turn left at the T junction onto the A386.
Follow this past the service area, and turn left down the hill signposted Meldon.
This will bring you out on the Old A30 again, and follow it into Okehampton.
Mick F. Cornwall
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

I followed Mick F's route to Okehampton a few weeks ago and it was excellent. Hills weren't too bad although I recall it was steep coming out of Camelford. Just make sure not to get lost in Launceston- take a left at the Spar shop at bottom of hill, then take a right a couple of hundred yards up the hill.
chrispee

Post by chrispee »

Thanks for the advice all, its looking like the first day I will be heading further north to around Great Torrington, then over to Bristol for day 2, to be honest the time in the saddle is the biggest "concern" to me, as a fairly competent time triallist i should have the base fitness, just not used to sitting on the bike for 9 consecutive centuries. I'll be in the Alps for 2 weeks in August so hoping to build up time in saddle during this time
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Without wishing to pry, this is a forum for us all to learn from each other. Is there anything that we can learn from your earlier attempt?

I'm doing my third Lejog in August, also in 9 days. I've done a 14 day and 5 day before. My 9 day route isn't a million miles different from yours.

Also, can't shake the desire to do a 4 day, or rather 3+ as i think that would be the best I could do, and I'd like to do it whilst I'm young enough. I'll be 50 next year, so it won't be getting any easier. BTW, not trying to hijack your post...just thinking out loud
comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb »

Whilst no specific mention of when the cycling restriction ends, local press are reporting the road works all finishing by Friday July 14th with the exception of one overbridge a couple of weeks later.
http://www.kier-a30cornwall.co.uk/
Steve.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

What's your intended route through Cheshire and Lancs?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

shadwellrhino wrote: Just make sure not to get lost in Launceston- take a left at the Spar shop at bottom of hill, then take a right a couple of hundred yards up the hill.
Here's a piccy of the route past Launceston.
Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 10.51.13.jpg
Launceston is on a hill - a steep one - so going this way negates the need to climb up into the town, then back down onto the Old A30.
Mick F. Cornwall
chrispee

Post by chrispee »

Hi all, i have updated my original post with the routes planned so far, very open to suggestions on them all, especially the routes to Stirling and to Slaidburn.

In terms of learning from past mistakes, don't take your brother and girlfriend (at the time) who really don't get on when together for a couple of weeks. Meant a lot of headaches due to incompatible personality types!

Mick, thanks for the route into Okehampton, I'm booking accommodation for there and Bristol now so once that's done can plan the first few days and add

Also, if people have suggestions for entertainment for my Dad along the route, I'm sure he would appreciate that! We will be RV'ing once or twice a day assuming no major mechanical issues
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok. :D

Okehampton to Bristol ..........................
Sorry, but I know this like the back of my hand.

From Okehampton, head out on the B3215 and A3072 for Bow and Copplestone.
Join the A377 for Crediton and re-join the A3072.

Note:
Follow Rob's Passage to Bickleigh ............. please search for this on the forum. :wink:
If you stay on the A3072, go over the Cadbury Hills to Bickleigh, but it's hilly and hard work.

A396 to Tiverton, then via the old main road via Halberton and Sampford Courney to cross over the M5 at junction 27 to join the A38 and head north past Waterloo Cross.
Follow A38 all the way to Bristol.

Notes:
Going through Wellington is nicer than round the outside.
Taunton isn't nice, but just follow the signposts for the A38 is ok.
Maybe a better way to the north side of Taunton, is to follow A358 and A3259 back to the A38.
Entering the southern side of Bristol, is better turning off the A38 and going via Congresbury, to avoid Red Hill up past the airport.

Hope that helps.
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
chrispee

Post by chrispee »

Thanks for this Mick, just done routes for the first few days, how bad are the cadbury hills as Robs passage is about 5 miles extra, will I rue them, I have done the route through Cheddar Gorge as i dont get a chance to go down to this part of the country much!

Any comments over my route selection most welcome
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Day 5

At about mile 9.75 take Lanes to Wray rather than going on to Bentham.

At mile 21.75 Kirby Lonsdale head up Lune valley to Sedburgh and then Tebay and then on to Shap ( but actually you can bypass Kirby Lonsdale, Sedburgh, and Tebay by taking lanes closer to the Lune unless you need to stop) Howevwe sedburgh is a good place to stop for coffee etc.

From Penrith take lanes on west side of A6 to Dalston and then take A689 Carlisle western bypass (which has a good cycle path) rather than going through Carlisle. (Going around bypass may be longer on map but will be quicker and less hassle)

(Kendal is a weekend home for me, and the Lune Valley is well worth going up compared with going in to Kendal and all its traffic )

Day 8 North of Inverness,

Mile 71 take lane East of A9 (signposted cycle route I recall)

Mile 81 - Coming out of Dingwall keep off main rod by going by Arduallie and Evanton (signposted cycle route I recall)

(was doing this bit in reverse in July )

Overall comment - you are focusing on minimising miles, trip might be more enjoyable if you re route off main roads a bit more and take a bit longer each day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cadbury Hills.
We drove that way a few weeks ago, and even in a car it was hard work! :lol:

The hills aren't too bad, but the downhills aren't useable to get a move on with. There are bends and twists and sudden short hills both up and down. It's an entertaining corkscrew route cycling as well as driving.

I reckon that the time difference between the A3072 Cadbury route vs Rob's Passage route, is about the same despite the distance difference.
Whatever happens, Rob's Passage is relaxing, peaceful, quiet, and easy cycling. When I've cycled that way, it has slowed me down overall, but I've come out the other end with a smile and not worn out legs.

Coming the other way, there is Bickleigh Hill to climb. This hill is not to be sniffed at. It's a pig, so Rob's Passage is a must.
Going down it, is ok, but again, it's not a good hill, because you can't use it to fly down due to the corners.

If you take the A3072 Cadbury route, you will feel very relieved to get to Bickleigh. Not to mention being tired.
Mick F. Cornwall