YHA E2e

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
robing

YHA E2e

Post by robing »

Is a YHA E2E still feasible now many YHAs have closed. Does anyone have a route or list of yha for an e2e, probably lejog?
And do all YHA offer bike storage?
Paulatic

Re: YHA E2e

Post by Paulatic »

I imagine you'll need to use private hostels nowadays.
Plan your trip so you stop here http://wayfarershostel.com/facilities/ In Penrith I doubt you can stay anywhere better.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

More info here
PH

Post by PH »

Even if the YHA hostels exist in the right places the chances of being able to book a dozen on the days you want is highly unlikely.
I got frustrated then gave up trying for a run of 5 and I had a lot of flexibility with dates.
robing

Post by robing »

Norman H wrote:More info here

D'oh, that was my post! I should have checked first :oops:
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

robing wrote:

I hadn't noticed that. I just remembered replying to a similar request and checked my previous posts.

You should maybe check that you haven't done the ride. :)
robing

Post by robing »

Norman H wrote:
robing wrote:

I hadn't noticed that. I just remembered replying to a similar request and checked my previous posts.

You should maybe check that you haven't done the ride. :)

Now you come to mention it, I have! :D :P
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Recomend these two, Helmsdale SYHA and the great glen hostel Laggan, between loch Lochy and Loch Oich
edited , Betty Cottles Okehampton b&b but well worth it. Sundial guest house , Kendal . The Bonnington in Moffat can't remember the guys name but if he's still there you'll leave with smile on you face, brilliant place to stay.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mfpnl

Post by mfpnl »

Hi Robing

Yes, the Touring Department of the organisation formerly known as the Cyclists Touring Club did publish a YHA route with their old E2E pack. As PH says, it was well past its sell-by date.

I did a camping/hosteling self-supported LEJOG last month with my son and we stayed in a few YHA/SYHA hostels, namely Lands End, Inverness and Aviemore. As Paulatic has suggested, you might want to look at private hostels. I found these to be really useful - We stayed in Callander Backpackers Hostel and Pitlochry Backpackers Hotel. Friendly, helpful staff and good value. Depending on your route, I would also recommend Blindwell Bunkhouse on Exmoor. Not so much a bunkhouse but more of a mini-hostel. We had the place to ourselves.

We were travelling at a fairly quiet time tourist-wise, and we had a flexible schedule, so we just booked these as we went along (Incidentally, I used the Wikicamps smartphone app to see what options we had in the locality that we were heading towards). We did try for a couple more YHA/SYHA hostels but they were fully booked. As PH says, trying to string bookings together is hard work.

I had a clear-out of my LEJOG file when we got back - and my dusty copy of the CTC YHA route ended up in the recycling box - otherwise I'd have sent you a copy.
paul434

YHA E2e

Post by paul434 »

[quote="ferritThe Bonnington in Moffat can't remember the guys name but if he's still there you'll leave with smile on you face, brilliant place to stay.[/quote]
The Bonnington Moffat.
A friend of mine Paul Ramsden also responsible for Moffat Taxis 222666 ride with the devil lol.
Yep he'll cheer anyone up [emoji3]
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

paul434 wrote:[quote="ferritThe Bonnington in Moffat can't remember the guys name but if he's still there you'll leave with smile on you face, brilliant place to stay.

The Bonnington Moffat.
A friend of mine Paul Ramsden also responsible for Moffat Taxis 222666 ride with the devil lol.
Yep he'll cheer anyone up [/quote]
Thats him :lol: great memories of staying there.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.