Bristol to StIves

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
willst0ne

Bristol to StIves

Post by willst0ne »

Good evening,
I've got 2 days to get from Bristol to StIves as quickly and safely as possible. Has anyone done this and have any route advice. I've had a ganders on here but am not too sure if any of the recent a30 modifications have changed any routes?

Any other tips also more than welcome but currently planning on frame packing a sleeping bag, money and just keep spinning until I need to sleep under hedge or eat etc.

Thanks in advance.

W
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bristol to StIves

Post by Mick F »

Yes.

Bristol down the A38 all the way to J27 M5.
Cross over the motorway, along the A361 for a very short while, and left off onto minor roads via Samford Peverell and Halberton into Tiverton.
A396 to Bickleigh.

From there, you have a choice.
A3072 up Bickleigh Hill and over the Cadbury Hills to Crediton

or

Follow the A396 over Bickleigh Bridge then turning off a few miles later to Thorveton and follow Rob's Passage to bypass the hills to Crediton.
viewtopic.php?t=108933

From Crediton, take the A377 to Copplestone and join the A3072 through Bow, and to the B3215 for Okehampton and join the Old A30.
After leaving the town on the Old A30, go past Betty Cottles Inn and look for the very first turning on your right.
Turn off and head up the hill to the A386 and turn left.

If you don't turn off after Betty Cottles, you will be on the A30 dual carriageway up an horrendous hill.

Follow the A386 under the A30 past the service areas, and turn immediately right onto the Old A30 and follow this all the way and cross the bridge into Cornwall.
Just after crossing, you'll see Launceston Rugby Club on your left, and turn right opposite it then turn left just after the waterworks.
This will bring you out onto the A388.
Turn left down to the mini roundabout by the Spar shop, and turn right up the hill to St Stephens.
Cross the road, or turn right and then left - either is the same - and head out on minor roads through Eglosskerry and Tresmeer.
Go straight on at Tresmeer by the chapel - ie straight on so the chapel is on your right.
Follow this road to the A395 and turn right.
Follow A395 to the end and turn left onto A39.

Follow the A39 all the way to St Columb Major. Cross the A392 and go through White Cross and St Newlyn East, A30 a bit, then Zelah, then A30 again to Three Burrows and Blackwater to rejoin the Old A30.

Redruth, Camborne, Connor Downs, then come out at the roundabout at Hayle and go right through the town, and follow the waterside round to Lelant, Carbis Bay and then St Ives.

You can use the A30 all the way from Exeter if you wish, but it's horrible. Get to Exeter down the A38 and then the B3181 (old A38) to Exeter city centre and out to the A30. My route (above) is nearly as quick but a damned sight better.

The A30 is open all the way now.

Hope that helps! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
willst0ne

Post by willst0ne »

I couldn't ask for more. Thank you very much
W
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's ok!
:D

I've done that ride many times ............. not all in one complete piece more than three times, but in separate sections loadsa times.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Regarding the packing and sleeping. You can put your sleeping bag in a dry-bag and strap it to your handle bars. These is pretty much what most 'bike-packing' bar bags are anyway. It does depend on the size of your sleeping bag, a 4-season one isn't going to pack down too small.

handlebar_bag.jpg

Looking for a place to stay Okehampton is about half way. If I'm wild camping I look on Google Earth for a clump of trees and also see if you can get a look with StreetView. Below looks promising. Close to Okehampton so you can check it out, go get something to eat and go back a little before it gets dark. If your up early you'll probably see either no one or the odd early morning dog walker.

Or you could stay at Okehampton YHA for a little more comfort.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/okehampton ... _campaign={campaign}&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwevLBRCGARIsAKnAJve9y61NM4n22krd-BK9HycK-Sa14ECQ5fPvumBUy3d5MZooZv65lyQaAkW9EALw_wcB

BTW I'm doing the same ride starting next Friday.
Attachments
okehampton.jpg
willst0ne

Post by willst0ne »

Thanks again. Just what I was planning on doing except I got some fancy apidura? frame bags off eBay last year. Strangely enough I'm thinking about heading south very early Friday morning. Where/when were you thinking of starting from? Last time I rode Bristol to North Wales I seriously entertained the idea of just doing it as one very long day and stopping and napping. That Beaumont bloke is doing 240 miles a day for 80 days straight so it'll be like nipping out to the shops!!!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Me and Mrs Whoof will be setting off on Friday evening after work. When I say the same ride it's the same start and finish. We are meandering our way across Somerset, Devon and Cornwall including a couple of days staying in Fowey. We won't be in St Ives before the following Wednesday.