JOGLE - route feedback

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
killan

JOGLE - route feedback

Post by killan »

Hi everyone,

Apologies, I know this has probably been done to death and everyone has there own 'take' on the best JOGLE route, however I was wondering if any of you could spare a few mins to point out whether I have made any glaringly bad route choices on the below route?

We are planning on 8 days, with a shorter final day as we gather Cornwall can be fairly tough on the legs.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 000065&z=5

Very greatful for any thoughts/comments/links...

Thanks, anton
hilloverthehill

Re: JOGLE - route feedback

Post by hilloverthehill »

Take the backroads from JOG through Watten to Loch Mor then the forest roads to Forsinard then link up tp Invershin via B871 &873 to Altnaharra. There's forest roads but OK on a road tourer. Quiet. Alan
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Once across the Severn Bridge and on A403 towards Avonmouth there is a SUP alongside the road but not all the way and it is a busy route with HGVS. Follow it to Northwick Road and just as you pass The Plough pub on the right before you go over the M4 there is a road off to the right which links up with New Passage Road/Green Lane in Severn Beach and leave Severn Beach on Ableton Lane to pick up the A403 SUP again. When you ride past Seabank power station, watch out for the rabbits, they're not dangerous it's just that if it's quiet they venture out onto the path. When you cross over the M5 into Lawrence Weston do not double back on yourself as the path is very narrow and overgrown, carry on till you get to Long Cross and turn right then right again into Saltmarsh and pick up the path next to the nursery after 100 yds.
Is the Clevedon detour deliberate of a Google Map faux pas?
The tunnel on the Strawberry Line is closed at present and has been mentioned already on here, a search should yield results about the not so good detour in place.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why Bude?

No issue with it, but the A39 heading south from Bude is a long long slog. 15 miles of up hill to Davidstow.

Easiest route is to take the Old A30 from Okehampton to Launceston, then backroads to Egloskerry to join the A395 and then join the A39 at Davidstow.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looks like you've faithfully followed route74. At the south end there really is no need to turn right and follow the lanes. Just carry on along B7076 Kirkpatrick Fleming, Gretna, Over the Border then back on route.
Depends when you do this ride but AFAIK Brougham Bridge (Penrith) is still closed. Perhaps anyone local can advise. You've chose a lovely way out of Penrith but I think on an 8 day E2E I'd just follow the A6 out.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Your route is so different from mine that I don't have much to comment on, there are so many options that it always surprises me when so many follow the same roads.
A couple of things do jump out at me, unless you need to go to Tongue I'd take the B873 along the river Nather which is one of my favourites, though I'm also tempted to try hilloverthehill suggestion of the forest roads next time I'm in the area.
The A82 along the north side of Loch Ness is busy with coaches and caravans, the other side is IMO much more pleasant, though it does involve changing the route to get to it and it has a couple of decent climbs. with the bonus of a great decent into Fort Augustus.
Whatever the route have a good ride.
killan

Post by killan »

hilloverthehill wrote:Take the backroads from JOG through Watten to Loch Mor then the forest roads to Forsinard then link up tp Invershin via B871 &873 to Altnaharra. There's forest roads but OK on a road tourer. Quiet. Alan

Hi Alan - how would you rate this route in terms of riding a road bike over it? I am all up for taking a less busy and more scenic route, as long as I'm not going to come out of it with my eyeballs shaken out and a few punctures...Cheers, anton
killan

Post by killan »

Mick F wrote:Why Bude?

No issue with it, but the A39 heading south from Bude is a long long slog. 15 miles of up hill to Davidstow.

Easiest route is to take the Old A30 from Okehampton to Launceston, then backroads to Egloskerry to join the A395 and then join the A39 at Davidstow.

Hi Mick,

No reason on Bude, just looking for somewhere a bit closer to LE, to leave us with a shorter last day. However 15 mile of uphill does not sound like a favourable option! Could you recommend anywhere that would leave us with approx 90 mile final day?

Thanks, Anton
killan

Post by killan »

PH wrote:Your route is so different from mine that I don't have much to comment on, there are so many options that it always surprises me when so many follow the same roads.
A couple of things do jump out at me, unless you need to go to Tongue I'd take the B873 along the river Nather which is one of my favourites, though I'm also tempted to try hilloverthehill suggestion of the forest roads next time I'm in the area.
The A82 along the north side of Loch Ness is busy with coaches and caravans, the other side is IMO much more pleasant, though it does involve changing the route to get to it and it has a couple of decent climbs. with the bonus of a great decent into Fort Augustus.
Whatever the route have a good ride.

Thanks PH,

I will have a look at the Tongue option, no particular reason to go that way...I will take a look at the B873.

Thanks, Anton
killan

Post by killan »

Paulatic wrote:Looks like you've faithfully followed route74. At the south end there really is no need to turn right and follow the lanes. Just carry on along B7076 Kirkpatrick Fleming, Gretna, Over the Border then back on route.
Depends when you do this ride but AFAIK Brougham Bridge (Penrith) is still closed. Perhaps anyone local can advise. You've chose a lovely way out of Penrith but I think on an 8 day E2E I'd just follow the A6 out.

Hi Paulatic,

Thanks - I'll take a look at that route all Ng the B7076...

Would you take the A6 out of Penrith purely based on time?

Thanks,
Anton
killan

Post by killan »

Redvee wrote:Once across the Severn Bridge and on A403 towards Avonmouth there is a SUP alongside the road but not all the way and it is a busy route with HGVS. Follow it to Northwick Road and just as you pass The Plough pub on the right before you go over the M4 there is a road off to the right which links up with New Passage Road/Green Lane in Severn Beach and leave Severn Beach on Ableton Lane to pick up the A403 SUP again. When you ride past Seabank power station, watch out for the rabbits, they're not dangerous it's just that if it's quiet they venture out onto the path. When you cross over the M5 into Lawrence Weston do not double back on yourself as the path is very narrow and overgrown, carry on till you get to Long Cross and turn right then right again into Saltmarsh and pick up the path next to the nursery after 100 yds.
Is the Clevedon detour deliberate of a Google Map faux pas?
The tunnel on the Strawberry Line is closed at present and has been mentioned already on here, a search should yield results about the not so good detour in place.

Hi Redvee,

Thanks for all the info - I'll look out for the rabbits, that would be disappointing to get taken out by bugs bunny!

That is a google maps faux pas - well spotted thanks!

Cheers,
Anton
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

killan wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Looks like you've faithfully followed route74. At the south end there really is no need to turn right and follow the lanes. Just carry on along B7076 Kirkpatrick Fleming, Gretna, Over the Border then back on route.

Hi Paulatic,

Thanks,
Anton

Yes I would and also wouldn't want to get to Brougham and find it closed.
From memory I think you were coming along either through or past Newton Rig college. Carry on past to the rbt and then down to a big Mway rbt there is a cycle route through it and then straight onto A6

E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

killan wrote:
Mick F wrote:Why Bude?

Hi Mick,

No reason on Bude, just looking for somewhere a bit closer to LE, to leave us with a shorter last day. However 15 mile of uphill does not sound like a favourable option! Could you recommend anywhere that would leave us with approx 90 mile final day?

Thanks, Anton
Generally, people doing LEJOG will aim at Okehampton on the first day. Just short of 100miles I think.
Travel Lodge at Sourton is a good bet - Little Chef next door.
https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/93/ ... ross-hotel

Also, there's good reports of Betty Cottles.
http://www.bettycottles.co.uk

The 15miles of uphill isn't continuous, but you go from sea level to over 1000ft at Davidstow before dropping down into Camelford. The road is busy, and one or two of the longer uphills are modern and straight with fast traffic. I've ridden that road quite a few times, so I know it well. It isn't that difficult if you take your time as none of it is steep ............ but it's a long and boring slog.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote:
killan wrote:

Hi Paulatic,

Thanks,
Anton

Yes I would and also wouldn't want to get to Brougham and find it closed.
From memory I think you were coming along either through or past Newton Rig college. Carry on past to the rbt and then down to a big Mway rbt there is a cycle route through it and then straight onto A6

Brougham Bridge is now OPEN

E2E info