Extra wheel or panniers....?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jez_clarke

Extra wheel or panniers....?

Post by Jez_clarke »

Hi guys....

I'd like to do a self supported jogle over 7 days.

Would you recommend panniers or one of those extra wheels?
I'm not camping, but still have stuff that needs carrying and don't mind a 'little weight' for extra luxurys like more than one change of clothes I can rotate.

I don't feel I need anything larger than an 'extra wheel' type of trail or. I'm leaning more towards the trailer just so I'm more visible to cars/lorries.

Any advice or experiences would be welcome.
gaz

Re: Extra wheel or panniers....?

Post by gaz »

Welcometo the forum.

Trailers are not immune to SMIDSY.

At the moment I'm unclear if you mean an "extra wheel" trailer, which lets you carry more panniers or a single wheel trailer such as Bob Yak and its more affordable copies.

You might like to read this thread.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robgul

Post by robgul »

The real question surely is the amount of luggage? .... "stuff that needs carrying" - if it's only 7 days and not camping I'm sure that you can dispense with the smoking jacket, top hat, dressing gown and slippers etc!

Even with a change of clothing a big saddle-bag or a pair of small panniers should suffice for a short and fast ride.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Jez_clarke wrote:I'm leaning more towards the trailer just so I'm more visible to cars/lorries.

:roll: Some people don't see large fire trucks with flashing light .. and sirens.
Some don't see long trains at train crossings.

Most people see a bicycle with rider .. they don't then expect to see a trailer on t he back so the trailer becomes actully less visible .. that is why you see Bobs trailers with flags on them.

--------------------------
Forget a trailer.
Get clothing that packs small ... no jeans for example.
PH

Post by PH »

robgul wrote:The real question surely is the amount of luggage? .... "stuff that needs carrying" - if it's only 7 days and not camping I'm sure that you can dispense with the smoking jacket, top hat, dressing gown and slippers etc!

Even with a change of clothing a big saddle-bag or a pair of small panniers should suffice for a short and fast ride.

Rob

+1
The question for me would be saddlebag or small panniers. Even though the extra wheel will roll along nicely on the flat, you'll feel it on every hill, the drag going up and it pushing going down. That might not bother some, but if I was going for a fast E2E the trailer would drive me nuts (I'm happy to use a well loaded Bob Yak on a different sort of tour)
If you spent half the price of the trailer on lighter clothing, you might be surprised how small/light it packs.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

A BoB trailer is ok for a light load say not over 10 kilo. After that it can be a pain. Well loaded ok for short runs but for any distance not so good. As others suggest you don't really need that much space for what you describe.