JogLe sight seeing

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: JogLe sight seeing

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Mick F wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:Well, some of it. The bottled stuff is brewed in... Burton-on-Trent. (I used to work over the wall from the brewery!)
Brewed?

Yep: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-33175395
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not what I heard, but I'm not arguing. It's horrible no matter where it's made, and the draught version is equally as horrible.
Mick F. Cornwall
Rds220

Post by Rds220 »

Thank you all for the replies, I will do some investigating over the weekend and start planning some sort of route. I'll be ridiing solo for 10 nights and aiming for a maximum of 1000 miles. I'm not fussed on climbing Ben Nevis, just a photo with it in the background will do. I also hear that the A82 is a death trap for cyclists, what is it like on the opposite side, the B852?

cycleruk wrote:
F70100 wrote:Is it April already?

I thought "is it April" might refer to up on Mondays and down on Tuesdays etc. Does that mean you have to stay overnight ? :? :lol:

I'm reading it as climbing Ben Nevis on alternate days, I'm not sure there's many places that would advise staying the night on a mountain if avoidable! I climbed Mount Snowdon a few months ago, that was busy and no mention of alternate days - it has considerably more ascents than Ben Nevis from what I've read
F70100 wrote:Maybe Aprils Fools day falls on a different day in Scotland.

Got a bit more time to reply now. Whilst photographing the big landmarks is worthwhile, don't neglect the details of regional specialities that tell the story of your journey; a Cornish pastie, cream teas, orchards and cider in Somerset/Herefordshire, Staffordshire oatcakes, red roses on signposts, black pudding farms, hardwick sheep, highland cattle, distilleries, things with tartan on, etc etc.

A cracking photo of a big landscape isn't necessarily easy to get unless you're willing to wait around for good light.

These are things I will get too, although I will be taking them on a phone rather than a professional camera (to save packing space and weight)
Mick F wrote:Sorry for thread hijacking. :oops:

Always room for a hijack when beer is involved :D
irc wrote:Might mean a less direct route with the Forth Bridge but the Kelpies at Falkirk are an impressive piece. While you were there the Falkirk Wheel is also a must. Superb solution to joining the Forth and Clyde and Union Canals after 1970s era housing built over the original series of locks. The only rotating boat lift in the world.

These are the types of things I would like to get photos of, I don't plan on getting them all because of the length of the route but some would make it more interesting

Norman H wrote:Strange village names are quite popular

Thank you, I did not think about this, these are a must!
irc

Post by irc »

Rds220 wrote:Thank you all for the replies, I will do some investigating over the weekend and start planning some sort of route. I'll be ridiing solo for 10 nights and aiming for a maximum of 1000 miles. I'm not fussed on climbing Ben Nevis, just a photo with it in the background will do. I also hear that the A82 is a death trap for cyclists, what is it like on the opposite side, the B852?!

The B862 is great.

Some pics at

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 71196&v=3b
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

If I ever do JOgle Lejog or whatever, it would be a progression non rushed route, via places I so far have yet to visit or wish to re-visit.... it certainly would not be a direct route as quick as I can from end to end...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The problem is that some of the places you mention are on opposite sides of the country. Ben Nevis - west, Forth Bridge - east, Angel of the North - east, Lake District - west. This would lead to a very meandering route.

Personal highlights for me were the Strathnaver valley from Bettyhill to Altnaharra, Loch Ness, Ben Nevis, Glencoe and Rannoch Moor, the Garden of Rememberance at Lockerbie, the Lakeland and Pennine hills, the Wrekin, Ludlow, Wye Valley, Symonds Yat, Severn Bridge, Cheddar Gorge, Somerset Levels, Dartmoor, St Michael's Mount, Lands End.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Rds220

Post by Rds220 »

TrevA wrote:The problem is that some of the places you mention are on opposite sides of the country

That's why I said forgetting the logistics of such a route, if there were more places of interest to the east/central then I would plan a route encorporating those rather than the usual western routes.

Thank you for your highlights, there are a few things in there I would like to see too
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

East?
West?

Is anyone aware that Edinburgh is west of London?
Furthest westerly point of the mainland of UK is Ardnamurchan Point .............. and I think it's 60miles west of LE.
The UK is canted to the west, so you're not doing an east/west swapover. The Forth Road Bridge maybe on the east of Scotland, but it's west of the majority of England.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... Is anyone aware that Edinburgh is west of London? ...

I'm not surprised that it's to the west of London because the "amazing fact" I've usually seen quoted is that it's to the west of Liverpool.

Since the End-to-End ride is pretty much as described, just about anywhere in the mainland of GB could be included. (I thought that's what the April Fool post was about.)
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

thirdcrank wrote:
Mick F wrote: ... Is anyone aware that Edinburgh is west of London? ...

I'm not surprised that it's to the west of London because the "amazing fact" I've usually seen quoted is that it's to the west of Liverpool.

Since the End-to-End ride is pretty much as described, just about anywhere in the mainland of GB could be included. (I thought that's what the April Fool post was about.)

Edinburgh is actually (just) west of Bristol as well.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

I am going to do LeJog starting on the 5th May 2018. I am waiting to receive my new Ice Adventure an week now. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas. 1200 miles following the Sustrans Route. No rush will stop for a pint on the way. 28 days camping wild and on official sites when needed. Bought my tent and ready to go.
RickH

Post by RickH »

captain offensive wrote:Edinburgh is actually (just) west of Bristol as well.

By my reckoning Edinburgh is west of Bridgewater too. Also Carlisle, Keswick, Blackpool, Wrexham, Abergavenny, Newport (near Cardiff) & Seaton (assuming the Ordnance Survey grid is sufficiently accurate as a North-South guide.

In England it is basically only the western side of Cumbria, A little of the Wirral, a few little bits around the Welsh border where it meanders around plus the South-West from near Taunton & Seaton westwards that AREN'T to the East of Edinburgh. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.