JogLe sight seeing

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Rds220

JogLe sight seeing

Post by Rds220 »

Hi All

I'm planning to do John O'Groats to Lands End next year around May and thought it would be a good opportunity to visit some land marks on the way to get some good photos.

Forgetting the logistics of planning such a route, what would be some good sites/sights to see en route?

A few I'm thinking off the top of my head are;
Loch Ness
Ben Nevis (planning to climb this next year so not important)
Forth bridge
Angel of the north
Peak District
Lake district
Tower bridge (I live in London so this isn't high on the priority list)
JamesE

Re: JogLe sight seeing

Post by JamesE »

A sunny descent down the Wye Valley and past Tintern Abbey was a highlight of my not-quite-a-JOGLE from a few years back.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

There's a new bridge over the Forth.
Ben Nevis over crowded. So much so they are thinking of alternating the up and down days.
Ie, up on Mondays and down on Tuesdays etc.
Glencoe known locally as suicide valley for cyclists.
On the bright side, midges are minimal in May.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Is it April already?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Seems like a good idea to me. Looking at my own photos, and those of others, try to avoid the following:

Apart from the obligatory photo ops, in front of the signposts at either end, other favourites seem to be St Michael's Mount, and the welcome to Scotland sign at Gretna. County borders also feature often. The welcome to Devon sign shortly after crossing the Tamar when leaving Launceston, which at the time seemed like a huge milestone to me, also seems to have appeared so to others. Strange village names are quite popular. There appear to be many like me, who crossed the Camel estuary at Padstow, and with a similar sense of humour to me, who have posed in front of the sign for the village of Pityme.
Last edited by Norman H on 15 Aug 2017, 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pityme.

The good thing about this place, is because the Sharp's Brewery is there.
I don't like Sharp's beers, and especially don't like Doom Bar, so it's a very amusing thing that their brewery is in Pityme ................... especially that they say their brewery is in Rock. :lol:
https://www.sharpsbrewery.co.uk/skin/fr ... s/logo.png

Perhaps it sounds better to have a brewery in Rock rather than Pityme.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sha ... -4.8913514
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Glastonbury Tor, Cheddar gorge, Clifton Suspension bridge, Old Severn Crossing, Caen Hill locks, Avebury.
If you are going up the Wye Valley possibly stay at St Briaviels Castle which is a YHA.
http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/st-briavels
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Mick F wrote:The good thing about this place, is because the Sharp's Brewery is there.
I don't like Sharp's beers, and especially don't like Doom Bar, so it's a very amusing thing that their brewery is in Pityme ................... especially that they say their brewery is in Rock.

Well, some of it. The bottled stuff is brewed in... Burton-on-Trent. (I used to work over the wall from the brewery!)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
horizon

Post by horizon »

F70100 wrote:Is it April already?

The OP didn't say what route he was taking or how long he had .... :wink:

Having said that, it isn't a bad question as the beauty of Preston springs to mind. I just did a section last month (Shrewsbury to Bristol) and there are some lovely stretches (e.g. Wye Valley as mentioned above and all the Border towns such as Ludlow) but sightseeing isn't really something that crops up often in this part of the forum.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

horizon wrote:
F70100 wrote:Is it April already?

The OP didn't say what route he was taking or how long he had .... :wink:

Having said that, it isn't a bad question as the beauty of Preston springs to mind. I just did a section last month (Shrewsbury to Bristol) and there are some lovely stretches (e.g. Wye Valley as mentioned above and all the Border towns such as Ludlow) but sightseeing isn't really something that crops up often in this part of the forum.

I thought "is it April" might refer to up on Mondays and down on Tuesdays etc. Does that mean you have to stay overnight ? :? :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Maybe Aprils Fools day falls on a different day in Scotland.

Got a bit more time to reply now. Whilst photographing the big landmarks is worthwhile, don't neglect the details of regional specialities that tell the story of your journey; a Cornish pastie, cream teas, orchards and cider in Somerset/Herefordshire, Staffordshire oatcakes, red roses on signposts, black pudding farms, hardwick sheep, highland cattle, distilleries, things with tartan on, etc etc.

A cracking photo of a big landscape isn't necessarily easy to get unless you're willing to wait around for good light.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whaligoe Steps near Wick are good if your muscles are stiff at the start of the ride :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Mick F wrote:The good thing about this place, is because the Sharp's Brewery is there.
I don't like Sharp's beers, and especially don't like Doom Bar, so it's a very amusing thing that their brewery is in Pityme ................... especially that they say their brewery is in Rock.

Well, some of it. The bottled stuff is brewed in... Burton-on-Trent. (I used to work over the wall from the brewery!)
Brewed?
I thought it was bottled there and went up by tanker in some sort of "concentrate" very much like Guinness comes from Dublin to be re-consituted and barrelled up for distribution.

I know that Sharp's were bought out years ago, and it was then that the beer went downhill. I wouldn't even consider drinking any of it any more, especially Doom Bar. The Cornish Coaster used to be nice, and Sharp's Own too. Even when Doom Bar first came out it was fine, but DB was the first beer that was sold and it changed almost immediately. I don't think you can buy DB in any of our local pubs, though occasionally you find some of their other beers.

Sorry for thread hijacking. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Might mean a less direct route with the Forth Bridge but the Kelpies at Falkirk are an impressive piece. While you were there the Falkirk Wheel is also a must. Superb solution to joining the Forth and Clyde and Union Canals after 1970s era housing built over the original series of locks. The only rotating boat lift in the world.

800px-FalkirkWheelSide_2004_SeanMcClean.jpg

The_Kelpies,_at_The_Helix,_Scotland.JPG
Ron

Post by Ron »

The cliff scenery at Duncansby Head, just a mile east of JoG, is spectacular with views of seabirds nesting (in season), and sea stacks. Best visited in the mornings to see the sun shine on the cliffs.