January

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
snowden

January

Post by snowden »

Hello

I've just booked new years eve in Edinburgh but have yet booked travel if we get the train up do you think it would be possible to do the Edinburgh to London stretch of the route in January or will the weather course to much trouble?

Thanks for any help you can give.
cycleruk

Re: January

Post by cycleruk »

If I remember correctly someone on the Forum did E2E in January.
We did try to put him off but he did it successfully anyway.
You just don't know about the weather at that time of year especially on the east side of the country.
Obviously daylight hours are restricted and it will be cold. Beyond that it is snow and ice that will be the major problem but then again there may be none. Work out your route/logistics but have a cop-out contingency just in case.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Tend to agree with cycleruk, length of daylight hours and snow/ice might not be your friend, however we always had a variety of hostel weekends through the winter inc Jan, and always coped and adapted to the circumstances.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This isn't really a LEJOG query IMO, but a question about distance cycling in January. In spite of a series of pretty mild winters, you simply can't predict now what it's going to be like this year. One thing that's guaranteed is that days are short in January, so you need to give a lot of thought to bike lighting and/or your attitude to night riding on unfamiliar roads. If you decide to stick to daylight, then it's only spelling out the obvious to say it will take longer than in June. While gritting takes some of the excitement ( :wink: ) out of riding in freezing weather, a lot of minor roads may be treacherous if there's a heavy ground frost. I've very occasionally ridden in shirtsleeves in Winter but that's unlikely and even if it's warm in the morning, there's no certain way of knowing what it's going to be like later. If you are not going to risk being cold and miserable, you need decent togs, including gloves and weatherproof shoes.

I'd say that for an experienced rider with the right equipment, it would be OK, especially if you had some flexibility over the time taken. Otherwise, it could be a testing introduction to distance cycling.