4 Day LeJoG?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mnichols

4 Day LeJoG?

Post by mnichols »

Just come back from my third LeJoG: First one was 14 days, second 5 days and third 9 days.

14 days was enjoyable but probably too many days for me for that distance, 5 days was very, very tough and 9 days was just the right balance of pleasure versus pain, and fun versus challenge

Whilst 5 days was tough, we took a very hilly +1000 mile route and the team didn't work well together. I'm 50 next year, and I keep thinking if I took a more direct route, cycled with someone, and we worked well together then 4 days may be easier than the 5 days.

I'm pretty sure that 4 would be the best that I could do, and I wouldn't attempt anything less than that. Also, thinking that if I going to do it then it needs to be before I get too much older.

5 days was very tough, and it took me a long time to recover, but should I try 4?
PH

Re: 4 Day LeJoG?

Post by PH »

If you think you can do it, go for it. I think once you get that close to your limits the external factors you have no control over - mainly the weather - will play a bigger factor. Once you're behind schedule I doubt there'd be the slack to get back to it. The right riding partner would be a huge benefit.
Not sure about your age comment, many endurance cyclists seem to reach their peak post 50, I'm hoping that'll be the case with myself!
Good luck
whoof

Post by whoof »

I'm sure that someone on here did a 4 day lejog last year but I can't find the post. If you open up enough of them you might find it.

However I did find this from two years ago about a 4 or 5 day lejog.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=101128
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, do it if you think you can, but pick your weather window.

LE to Bristol
Bristol to Lancaster
Lancaster to Pitlochry
Pitlochry to JOG

900miles (or so) in four days = 225miles a day.
Rather you than me! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

whoof wrote:I'm sure that someone on here did a 4 day lejog last year but I can't find the post. If you open up enough of them you might find it.

However I did find this from two years ago about a 4 or 5 day lejog.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=101128

Lol. That was me. I decided to do a 5 day that time. Thinking of 4 now
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Mick F wrote:Yes, do it if you think you can, but pick your weather window.

LE to Bristol
Bristol to Lancaster
Lancaster to Pitlochry
Pitlochry to JOG

Thanks Mick. Do you have route files?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You must be dreaming :mrgreen:
I think you already said it in your previous posts, you will need to spend more time in the saddle!

I am thinking next year if health allows...............but will be lightweight camping, that way I will not have to meet accommodation deadlines and allows to cycle on if the day is good.............

Can you find another who will have same attitude and will be reliable............your on your own I think just like me.
I will be 59 next year.

Good luck
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Well, if it’s got it’s germ into you, it’ll work away until you eventually have to give it a go. Sounds like you know as much as you need to know about long distance cycling, one day after another.

Looking at the details from one of my LEJOGs, with about 900 miles and 11,000 m ascent, gives you a 24 hour average of 225 miles and 2750 m ascent but you might be able to reduce these numbers a little. If the weather is reasonable, or you can pick your start time at v short notice, I think it’s eminently do-able, with very strong determination, good planning, a bit of luck and no major problems. There is absolutely no slack in the calculations but I would think that sustaining the effort for 4 days, mentally, is just about do-able because you can see the end - but you will know your limits.

Early starts, easily accessible and flexible accommodation, built in time for stops and a route that is interesting and stimulating for you. If it was me, I'd go a route I know, not necessarily the absolutely shortest or the least ascent, because familiarity and favoured stops would help keep me going.

Cycling with someone can be challenging. If you’ve done a lot of long rides together before and you work well together, all may be fine or you will know what the problems may be. At this level of challenge different levels of fitness, motivation, determination, responses to stress, even how they cycle, going too quickly or too slowly, etc, can all conspire to be more harm than good. That’s not to say don’t go with someone else, just that you might not cycle all day together, simply meeting up at the end of each day, or meet up with others for parts of the ride.

I'm now going to worry that this crazy idea will start playing in my head until I have to give it a go! Not 4 days, but perhaps 5 or 6 - forums can be dangerous places. By the way, I wouldn't worry about your age. I'm doing far more now that I'm in my 60s and retired than I ever could before.

If you do go for it, good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mnichols wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes, do it if you think you can, but pick your weather window.

LE to Bristol
Bristol to Lancaster
Lancaster to Pitlochry
Pitlochry to JOG

Thanks Mick. Do you have route files?
Basically, you need to stay on the trunk-roads.

A30 all the way to Exeter, and go through the city centre to join the Old A38 - now the B3181.
This becomes the A38 at Waterloo Cross near J28 M5.
Follow the A38 right through Bristol to Gloucester and to Worcester.
A449 to Kidderminster
A422 to Telford and beyond.
If you look at a road map, you'll see a small place called Hodnet. This cuts the corner off to join the A41 for Whitchurch.
At Whitchurch, join the A49
Follow A49 to Bamber Bridge just south of Preston, then join the A6 to Carlisle.
Follow the Old A74 - now B7076 and B7078 - to J12 M74
Go A70, A706 and A704 and Broxburn A89 to cross the Forth Road Bridge then it's Old A90 to Perth.
This goes through Inverkeithing, Crossgates, Kelty, Kinross, Glenfarg, Bridge of Earn
At Perth, join the A9 all the way over to Inverness and cross the Kessock Bridge. Stay on the A9 to Latheron to join the A99 through Wick to JOG.

Some years ago, I was the support driver for some riders doing it in five days, and the above was their route.
Weather.
Be aware of it.

The first night was just south of Bristol, but they didn't make it due to the bad weather. It was late May, but we had sleet and snow over Bodmin Moor and there was a tree down blocking the road near Cheddar on the A38. We had to pick them up and drive them to the hostel. Next morning, we took them back to where they left off.

Next day was from there to Chester. They didn't get there until midnight.
Next was Moffat, and again it was midnight, and having started off at 0600. Again, there was sleet and snow.
Then Kingussie and it was 1am when they made it.
At JOG, the last rider came in at 11pm.
Mick F. Cornwall
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Mega tough. I managed PBP (approx' 765 miles) in 84 hours (3 1/2 days) but LEJOG is further and far hillier especially in the early parts - but you already know that!

If you do go for it, good luck! It will make a fascinating post-ride thread on here!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Basically, you need to stay on the trunk-roads.

As always there's no definitive answer that suits all riders. I know of several who've done the E2E as an Audax which has a 116 hour time limit and not used the most direct route. Even the insane lumpy version with an extra 300 miles and 29,000 meters of climbing has to be completed in 190 hours. Both have to be unsupported.
http://markhbdm.wixsite.com/end2end

And the recent LEL is an example of what can be achieved without having to ride mile after mile of trunk roads.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just checked my Raleigh Chopper JOGLE stats.
I did it in a total time of 111hrs and 57mins
................ or did you mean that the Audax time if 116hrs is start to finish?

To be able to do an End2End in four days, you have to ride 225miles a day.
Very difficult to do unless you minimise the ascent, so trunk roads and A roads are the best option IMHO.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:................ or did you mean that the Audax time if 116hrs is start to finish?

That's how Audax works, the clock doesn't stop because you do!