A82 November road closure

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ferrit worrier

A82 November road closure

Post by ferrit worrier »

BBC news Scotland this morning. A82 closed between Tarbet and Crianlarich

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-41497992
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: A82 November road closure

Post by Mick F »

Good call there FW.
Yes, it's a long way round as a diversion, and a subject which has always horrified me as a cyclist on a long route. You never know if the ONLY road will be closed to you.

Many years ago, I was riding to JOG and had recently left Tiverton on my way to the A38 for Taunton. There had been an accident and fatality and the police had closed the road. They were sending us SOUTH on the Old A38 (B3181) to Willand, then up the B3391 via Culmstock to rejoin the A38 Wellington. Other than that, they were advising the M5. :lol:

Not as far as a massive 55miles, but still an addition of 15miles to an already long 90miles of a route, and the idea of it didn't 'arf make me grumpy! I appealed to the good nature of the cops, and they let me through, considering they'd nearly finished.

Hopefully, if there are any cyclists riding the A82, the roadwork people could let them through. I've cycled that area when we lived near Loch Lomond, including the roads of the suggested diversion.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The proposed closure is not until November and is subject to approval. There probably won't be many cyclists on it at that time of year.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know if I cycled up there in November or not. I never kept records back then.
From home to Crainlarich and back was about 60miles and a good ride.
This was back in the old days before they modernised the Loch Lomond stretch.

Favourite ride back then was "The Three Lochs".
Up the A82 from Balloch to Tarbet alongside Loch Lomond, then turn left for Arrochar, then south alongside Loch Long, then up over Whistlefield to Gare Loch, then through Helensbugh and over the Black Hill to home.

Do it either way round.
50miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Nice ride Mick F
My old stamping ground
Did you ever do that new road they built from Helensburgh to Arden?
I think it was something to do with the nuclear warheads at Garelochead.
A great area. Fond memories of the rest and be thankful pass. My chain broke north of Arrochur and so I had to push bike up n over before a nice guy at the Arrochur campsite fixed it for me. Great days.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, never been on that road. It was built years after we left.
I used to commute from Balloch to Faslane over the Black Hill, and sometimes went through Glen Fruin. The new road has gone along the top of the glen.

I have been up there a few times since we moved south as I had a job with a new ship being built on Clydeside and had my bike with me, and although I didn't ride up to Helensburgh, I did often ride up to the north of Glasgow and once or twice up the east side of Loch Lomond. We had friends living south of Helensburgh, and I would drive up from Glasgow to visit.
Mick F. Cornwall
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I went to school ( the proper old Hermitage) in Helensburgh and the 3 lochs was a common run. The A82 in those days was a pleasure to ride except for summer weekends. There was a cyclists " howf " just north of Inverbeg with a fire going pretty well permanently and a billy was easily boiled for a brew in passing. It was demolished when the new road was built as probably regarded as unsightly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wow! :shock:

I just remembered about that place!
I was riding up Lomondside and caught up with a cyclist out of Dumbarton, we chatted as we rode north.

I went further than I expected, and we pulled off and climbed up through the woods to a little shed place and had a brew!
By the time I made it home, Mrs Mick F gave me hell because I was far longer away than I planned. Must've done 15miles each way, so would have been two hours cycling plus an hour chatting over a mug of tea. :D :D

PS:
This was in the days when the main road went through the middle of Luss.
Anyone remember "Take the High Road"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_the_High_Road
Mick F. Cornwall