CHARITY RIDE FOR LOCAL SCHOOL - JOGLE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
MATTA

CHARITY RIDE FOR LOCAL SCHOOL - JOGLE

Post by MATTA »

Hi everyone,

Me & my bruv are hopefully going to cycle JOGLE in July this year which will help us raise money for a local school which cares for and educates children with disabilities.

I have been sifting through all the information available on the net regarding end to ends, j.o.g.l.e, charity bike rides and training but now think its time to ask you good people of any tips or advice that may help us along the way.

We have sort of chosen our route which will take around 16 days??? (maybe). We are still playing around with it but realise we must get some b&b's and hostels booked as im sure July is a popular month for this kind of thing. Plus we have the hassle of the train booking.

We both have bought second hand Dawes touring bikes off ebay and some side panniers along with other little bags to store bits and pieces. We have no support following us so we need to be pretty prepared. Neither of us has much experience of road cycling except for the weekly training we have been doing for the past 2 months.

Any help or tips would be really appreciated. If anyone has done this end to end in around the same sort of time (16-20 days) please let us know of your route or a web site. We are trying to stay away from the main roads with heavy traffic.

Anyway, im guessing you get the point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt & Mark Allam
vernon

Re: CHARITY RIDE FOR LOCAL SCHOOL - JOGLE

Post by vernon »

[quote="MATTA"][/quote]

It's difficult to offer tips without duplicating what is already here or at the following web site:
www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm

The web site has a whol;e range of rides and experiences to pick through. As for routes - they are as varied as their riders. I used to habitually warn against the stretch of A74 between Carlisle and Gretna but this is now closed to cyclists.

Your proposed timescale makes for a relaxed ride of around 60 miles per day. Enjoy the ride and the views.

Train booking - you'll just have to take pot luck and aim to be the first in the queue when the tickets are released 3 months in advance of your proposed date(s) of travel. It's easier to get to and from Penzance than Wick/Thurso. Just make sure that you have documentary evidence of your cycle bookings with you as you travel through Scotland. Scotrail/FirstScotrail are sticklers for adherance to the rules. Two bikes max per two carriage train though the capacity to Wick/Thurso is augmented by a subcontractor who ferries bikes in a van. Get talking to Scotrail now to find out if the service will still be on offer.

Booking in advance gets the train fares down a lot. I got to Thurso for around £40 and back from Penzance for a similar sum. I'd have had to pay triple those prices had I bought tickets on then day of travel.