LEJOG A6 Broughton near Preston

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Simmy

LEJOG A6 Broughton near Preston

Post by Simmy »

Evening Guys

My first post after being a regular browser of the forum. Please feel free to move this to another part of the forum if it's felt neccasary but I thought I'd post in LEJOG as I know a lot of cyclists use this route.

The A6 seems to be a popular section through Preston. The long awaited bypass has now opened at Broughton, immediately after passing under the M55 motorway. This gets rid of the awful tailbacks at the Crossroads in Broughton village.

Whilst this new road is fantastic for motor traffic, I personally feel it should be avoided whilst cycling. This is due to it being a dual carraigeway and there being no " shoulder " or any space between the left lane and the kerb. The natural cycling position will put you in lane 1.

Obviously this is totally legal but it's up hill and the sight lines are not brilliant. It's also a 40 mph Limit which very few motorists stick to. Most are doing at least 50 >

This is when coming out of Preston. Coming into Preston, from Garstang, the road is single carraigeway with a small " shoulder " so looks really nice to ride on. It's after the roundabout in the middle of the bypass that it changes to dual carraigeway.

I accept some will be happy to cycle on it, but just thought I'd post this as some cyclists who are not local may just be following the A6 and not realise it's been rerouted onto the Bypass recently.

The other option is to stick to what is now being called the " old " A6 through Broughton which is still open but has been reduced to a 20 mph limit and weight restriction to discourage through traffic.

Going north, out of Preston, go under the M55 motorway then keep left.

Coming towards Preston from Garstang there is a roundabout so just go ahead instead of left. The " old " route is clearly visable.
reohn2

Re: LEJOG A6 Broughton near Preston

Post by reohn2 »

Agreed the old A6 road through Broughton is the best bet IMO too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden