JOGLE

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Rusty Rider

JOGLE

Post by Rusty Rider »

I've read quite a few of the trips people have taken and I am planning one for 2019 around May time. I will make it a leisurely trip as well, 20+ days, but doing it the long way as I want to ride down the east coast to The Wash and then cross country to Winchester and on to Lands End from there. I fancy using as much of the off road routes as possible as I find the black ribbon very boring to follow.
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it :)
Peter
hilloverthehill

Re: JOGLE

Post by hilloverthehill »

Hi Rusty I did a JOGLE in November 2015 and tried to do as much off road as possible (ended up about 35% and most of the rest on backroads). I went down the west side though. I took forest roads across the Flow Country to Forsinard in the far north, Great Glen Way, Ballachulish-Oban railway track, some old railways through Ayrshire, canal system from Lancaster to Coventry, Kennet & Avon, Bridgewater and Great western canals in the SW, the Granite Way and the Cornish Coast to Coast. You can check out my blog on http://hilloverthehill.blogspot.co.uk. Have a good one! Alan Hill
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

Hello Alan, You are a braver soul than me (November!!!!!)
I don't mind the rain but ye gods winter as well, thats a bit much. Currently i'm averaging about 30-40 miles a day, but I won't go if its raining, yet don't mind if it starts when I'm out. Did you find Cornwall a bit daunting? I used to ride from Liskeard to Camborne every week on a Sunday and back on a Friday, when I was in digs while at CTC. Mind you the traffic was a lot lighter then (end of the 60's)

Peter
Peter
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

Hi Peter yes it was a bit of a mission with the short days, though it was unseasonably warm at first. I managed to fall in the Trent and Mersey Canal and had 10 punctures on the towpaths (the autumn hedgecutting left heaps of thorns). If I were to do it again I wouldn't use my road tourer (total nightmare on muddy towpaths) and I'd probably go tubeless to avoid the punctures.
The last 3 canals in the SW were great, quite rideable and no punctures or mudfests.
Cornwall was hard work with all the hills, though a lot of the climbing was self-imposed by sticking to the wee backroads. I followed the coast road from Portreath through St Ives, and this was another nightmare straight into the teeth of Storm Clodagh, which blew me off the road at times.
If you come through Inverness area and need a place to stay I'm on warmshower.