Quickest way out of Burnham on sea?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Gercymro

Quickest way out of Burnham on sea?

Post by Gercymro »

Im doing a solo Lejog this year and im in the process of ploting my route. Which way is the easiest and fastest way from Burnham on sea towards the West midlands... Over the Severn Bridge or through Gloucestershire. Also im a bit worried of going through Bristol... or will this be ok?
mjr

Re: Quickest way out of Burnham on sea?

Post by mjr »

What are you worried about through Bristol?

I'd expect through Gloucestershire to be faster because it's flatter but I've not ridden either side of that bit of river much.

For the section immediately north of Burnham, be aware that the Shute Shelve tunnel through the Mendips on NCR 26 has been close a lot lately (current situation may be described in another post on this board by someone more familiar with it), but NCR 33 from Brean to Weston-super-Mare is now open and the fastest route is probably still to head for Loxton and Banwell, using the same gap as the M5, then head for Congresbury whichever way you fancy and then I'd either go for Clevedon for the Gordano valley and Avonmouth Bridge bypassing Bristol; or Claverham-Backwell to pick up the Flax Bourton Greenway, then Long Ashton into Bristol either high (Clifton Suspension Bridge) or low (Festival Way).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be more worried about Bristol than Burnham-On-Sea but Bristol was not a huge issue to our group. I remember passing the airport and then exiting on the A4 under the Clifton suspension bridge before heading up to Aust and the Severn Bridge.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mjr

Post by mjr »

mjr wrote:...head for Loxton and Banwell, using the same gap as the M5, then head for Congresbury whichever way you fancy and...

Correcting myself: no, head for Loxton and Winscombe. There's no point going over/round Banwell Hill if you don't have to!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have done similar routes many times from Devon to my home in Worcestershire. The last time was October and I did this route.

From Burnham followed coast to Brean then used the Sustrans route to Weston super Mare. From there took the old Locking road towards Bristol then at Congresbury left to Yatton. After railway bridge did a right to avoid main part of Clevedon, then took the road to Portishead. From there wnet straight on at traffic island then left onto another sustrans route which goes around huge car parking area and passes under the M5 bridge. Here over the bridge alongside the motorway on the cyclepath then followed the Avon Cycleway to Thornbury. From there do the lanes to Berkeley then form there A38 to Gloucester.

A38 north is no real problem but there are quieter routes running parallel if you feel happier. Many use Sustrans route 45 travelling north but it does add a lot of miles to your journey.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
whoof

Post by whoof »

From Yatton I would follow the route below which has conveniently added it's back to front. This takes you as far a Pilning where you can then either go over the bridge into Wales or up to Gloucester. As to riding through Bristol you only skirt the far western part through a bit of Avon Mouth/Shirehampton and Lawerence Weston. None of these place are where many people what want to go on holiday but the route mostly traffic free bike paths in a relatively pleasant 'rural' area sandwiched between the motorway and either a residential area of an industrial estate, marked in red. There a burger van just before Hallen on Poplar Way East open every day except Sundays if you want some quick/cheap food drink.
b4.jpg
b2.jpg
b1.jpg
Gercymro

Post by Gercymro »

Thanks for the info guys.... got plenty there to look at... Im staying At Rook Bridge for my second night camping... I'll defo head towards Gloucester if its flatter... and faster... and a burger van is always a welcome site for a cheap calorie boost. Hope to do Lejog in 10 days...Im mostly taking on A and B roads... but i've avoided most of the A30!! Thanks to Micky F!!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Gercymro wrote:Thanks for the info guys.... got plenty there to look at... Im staying At Rook Bridge for my second night camping... I'll defo head towards Gloucester if its flatter... and faster... and a burger van is always a welcome site for a cheap calorie boost. Hope to do Lejog in 10 days...Im mostly taking on A and B roads... but i've avoided most of the A30!! Thanks to Micky F!!

The A38 from Rooksbridge into Bristol past the airport only saves you about 4 miles over either Congresbury route (via Churchill rather than Loxton) according to the route planners I just used and the A38 is a pretty annoying 3 lane single carriageway climb carrying entirely too much traffic IMO because of North Somerset Council's failure to encourage alternatives to car commuting in that area.

Good luck, though, no matter which way you go!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The route from Burnham to Weston can be seen here as part of the last ten miles of Great Weston Ride. It's flat apart from a couple of sharp climbs over the railway.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9808780 or http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/705137619
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My vote is through the middle of Bristol and head up the A38.
Fast and easy north of Bristol.

I've cycled Up North a few times from here. Twice through the Wye Valley using the Severn Bridge, and three times up through Gloucester. A38 is faster, easier, shorter, and I wouldn't bother with the Wye Valley route again.
Mick F. Cornwall
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Mick F wrote:My vote is through the middle of Bristol and head up the A38. Fast and easy north of Bristol.

+1

The last time I did the route I camped near the village of Mark and then got back on the A 38 with no problems at all to get through Bristol and beyond to the next campsite at Malvern.
Gercymro

Post by Gercymro »

Hey... thanks again... Ive used Bedfordfox/Mick F route up to Rooks Bridge... so I might as well carry on with that route... I just thought that going through Bristol would be hell with traffic. Im new to this forum... and I appreciate all your comments.plotting day 3 next week... so I might have more questions to ask.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Bristol isn't nice as it's a big city, but it's not too bad.

My route is to come up to Bristol on the A38 and turn off for Congresbury and Long Ashton, then cross the River Avon and turn west to go along the A4 under the Clifton Suspension Bridge. You can ride on the pavement there off the busy A4.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45640 ... 312!8i6656

Cross the A4 at the traffic lights, then climb Bridge Valley Road up to Bristol Zoo and you can re-join the A38 at Horfield.
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 17.39.59.png
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Many years ago I lived in Bristol and used to like getting the climbing done out of town, else it is a long drag through grotty shops up the A38 to Filton. I would take the B3129 from Failand on the Mick F map and come over the Clifton suspension bridge, then rejoin his route along Kellaway Ave to meet the A38 Gloucester Rd in Horfied which was home for me.
whoof

Post by whoof »

If you want to go over the suspension bridge at the end of Long Ashton go straight across into Ashton Court. This is a country park owned by the council. Follow the road around to left just before the house and this climbs up to the level of the bridge. From there is straight out of the park and above 1 km to the bridge.

Ashton Court also has a cafe and public toilets in the house courtyard. There are also deer.